The Whining Coyote:Wolf Hunt

Overwatcher

After getting a phone call at 11PM from the rancher,I knew that something was in store.
With hearing and seeing of plenty of sign weeks prior,I had tried my odds with the elusive Apex predator with no luck.
Hearing from him, he told me a local outfitter had spotted a pack of 9 above a field that was covered with junipers, and that they had killed a calf elk in the ranchers field the night before.The outfitter had a confirmed kill on a black, and wounded another black that still had the wheels to get away.Time to gear up and be ready for first light!
Heading up we had overlooked where they were spotted, and could still see what remained of the calf,this thing was picked dry!

After making a few stops and howling,odds were already stacking against us as the sun slowly came up.Five minutes later,on top of a small gully that overlooked some big country,we stopped to glass at the mountain side into some big timber...And it suddenly lit up with the entire pack.After hearing the wolf serenade,it was honestly the coolest and most haunting thing I have ever heard in my life in the wild.The timber sounded like there were fifty of them,and the way it traveled trough the canyon was incredible.
The hunt was on,hopes high on adrenaline,it was time to try and stalk the pack.
Driving up the canyon,the wolves were still serenading,and the sound was even more hair raising.Loading up and getting all packed,we began to make our way around a rolling hill into the timber.The pack was now VERY close and still howling,and believe me...headed right into 7 of them..in heavy brush/timber...we were on red alert!
Also during this,the wounded wolf howled from almost EXACTLY where we has just come from! I bet he was within a few hundred yards from where we were stopped glassing.
Anyway, we made our way around a group of trees,where I hear the whining of a dog next to a larger tree,and he is dang close!.I slowly sneak up and a coyote literally jumps from in front of the tree 20 yards.I about shot! It was so dang close that if it was a wolf it could have closed in on me quick.After the coyote took off,I made my way to the tree where he just was....Staring directly at me was a Black standing broadside 80 yards.The eyes and posture of him was stunning compared to a coyote.

Pulling up on him he gave me a perfect offhand shot,where a 70 grn NBT struck him just forward of his shoulder/neck.After the shot,another black that I didn't even know was there began to make a rip for the timber.Another shot landed just below her spine,and before I could get another shot off,she darted off the hillside into some timber yelping.Dead running after her...wolves howling all around..I actually felt like a savage!
Landing a few more into the female wolf finally put her to rest.
The wolves continued to howl as they made their way into the thick dark timber..

Afterwards it was really kind of comical,because here I am wigging out over an almost holy grail of predator hunting,and the rancher is over cussing at the others running away through the timber STILL howling.It was a very mixed emotion of excitement and aggression.On one side of the coin is the predator hunter,who wants to keep pelt good and bag the "trophy",the other side is the "warzone" keep shooting the enemy until nothing is left..I have never felt that mix predator hunting.
Prior to the season, I would sit and think about what would go through my mind when a Wolf would get in the crosshairs..would I get all jittered up and miss?
I sit back and laugh,because all that went through my mind was nothing..insitinct just put the crosshairs on them and broke the shot.
Just to add a little more to the "luck", the first wolf howls and first Wolves I have ever heard or seen in the wild... just so happened to be in the crosshairs that day.

I'm not very good at writing stories,but thats pretty much it..the whole experience shed new light on my predator hunting,and brings new respect to the ranchers and wolf.Being greeted every morning by the rancher on their range, guarding the cows night after night.. all night.. sure makes it personal toward the wolf.
As for the wolf,I will never forget the sounds they made through the timber,and the look/posture of the first one I jumped.Eerie yet a thing of beauty.
Got to give it to the whining Wiley distracting them,as the wolves were likely roughing him up when I jumped them.
One downside to this all..is getting ol' Wiley down just doesn't hold the same merit anymore
wink.gif
Don't love him any less!
(Sorry for the lame pictures,I will have more up,Wish I could have done the "bearhug" pic, they do no justice to the actual size of these guys,however this tapeworm disease is starting to become a problem out here and do not want to take a chance.)
4myh.jpg

7fs3.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome story and congrats on the wolves. I have heard hearing a wolf howl will send chills down your spine. I'm going wolf hunting next month and I hope I get an awesome story like this one haha.

When you said you did some howls, were you using a coyote howler? If not what howler were you using? I have read that wolves absolutely hate coyotes me using a coyote howl will a lot of times bring a whole pack in because they want to kill the coyote.

Originally Posted By: pRoDiEuSAwesome story and congrats on the wolves. I have heard hearing a wolf howl will send chills down your spine. I'm going wolf hunting next month and I hope I get an awesome story like this one haha.

When you said you did some howls, were you using a coyote howler? If not what howler were you using? I have read that wolves absolutely hate coyotes me using a coyote howl will a lot of times bring a whole pack in because they want to kill the coyote.

It for sure will get you going when you hear them!
As for the howling,you are correct saying they don't like coyotes,they were beating up on the one I jumped.I was using a FoxPro wolf howl and they responded to that.
The theory I have is we were literally 100-200 yards away from the wounded one when we howled,so i'm thinking they thought we was him.Dunno.
Wolves are territorial so by using a wolf howl,you can either act as an intruder or possibly one in the pack.2 ways to spark a response or get them in.

Awesome read thanks for the pics, CONGRATS on the double and black to boot! What an incredible hunt that must have been. Felt like I was right there beside you.

70 gr. what caliber?

Last edited:
Way to go man. One wolf is a dream come true. But two, wow that is awesome! It sure is nice to balance the score somewhat.

Awesome hunt! Congratulations!!! Great story telling as well. You are going to have to find some room for those hides on the wall.

Thanks guys,I was kinda wondering how my story writing would go,as I really can't lay out a story and not bore you to death lol..so thanks for the compliments.
My 6X45 did a number on the pelts,but still made due with them.
The hair on their back was 2 1/2 inches long! Just crazy how much more pelt they have then a coyote.
I also skulled out the male,once it gets done I will get some pictures!
These wolves were taken in central/northern part of Idaho.
Help a rancher out, and go get after them!

Thanks guys,I will add some more pictures and I also forgot I had a short video of the wolves howling just after we got packed up.
I added a little more things in the OP, that I found comical with the hunt!

Last edited:
Back