.22 lr for Coyote? Really?

No matter what anybody says a 22lr will kill a dog, a deer, a person, etc.. it will kill just about anything. Our grandfathers have hunted with 22's since they have been around and killed most everything they shot. If you shoot a coyote in the foot with a 22-250 he is most likely still going to run off the same is true with a 22. You have to place your shot just like anything else, I have killed coyotes with a 22 no problem but its not my gun of choice. Also a 22 mag has lots of killing power and most farmers that see coyotes, bobcats, and stray dogs kill them with some sort of rimfire. so dont discount the rimfires as they are very capable, this is a fact. They have already proven themselves.

If I were in the woods with a 22 and had a good shot on a yote would I take it?
YOUR DANG SKIPPY I WOULD.

Last edited:
The major deciding factor should be the shooter's ability and it has been said to an extent so far. There are many hunters that can pound nails with a 22 but flinch, shut their eyes, pull in, etc. with a larger rifle. That said there is many reasons for that and I know only 5% that do it admit to it. I would rather see them out with a 22 that they are capable of following through and making good shots with rather than an -06 that will shot marginally.

Just my $.02

Different people hold different views. Personally, I consider coyotes varmints. Hunting them is a form of pest control. How it got dead isn't as important as getting it dead. If I have a 22LR in my hands and there is a coyote to shoot I am going to take the shot. Others will pass due a difference in personal ethics.

With that said I have never taken my 22LR on a stand. It just doesn't have enough power or range to let me take the shots I want. I have shot a coyote with it once but it was a shot of opportunity when shooting jackrabbits. I looked for a headshot but it turned so I put one in its chest. The yote ran off and I gave chase with my flashlight. Twice I caught sight of its eyes but I couldn't get close enough for a shot and I eventually lost him. He either ran out of range or fell dead where I couldn't see him. I didn't get my trophy but I take comfort in there probably being 1 less coyote chasing the cows and horses in that area.

I have shot a coyote or two or three with a 22lr in my day, and will do so again.

That being said, its not the greatest round in the world to do it with. It has about the same range of the shotgun, and a lot less pay load.

The ones I shot with it, have been close range chargers, who got the tap-tap-tap-tap treatment with a Ruger 10/22. They went down in a hurry, but I wouldn't trust it as my primary rifle. I have only used it on the rare occasion when I was rabbit hunting and wanted to try a stand.

A .22 has always been my choice while out doing farm work.
Always carry 1 on the tractor, in the truck or on the 4
wheeler. Family tradition.

Coyotes love to come out and follow tractors while mowing
as you are stirring up all the rodents.

How can you resist shooting them. My grandfather shot
lots and lots of them from the tractor. Back then there
was a bounty on them.

Also fun to shoot at rats stirred up by the tractor.
Or phesants or ..............

Randy

I know an old hunter in his 70s who has shot coyotes with his Henry .22. Like others have said already, yes, you can kill a coyote with a .22 if you shoot it in the right spot. But if you have any another option available (.243, 22-250, #4 buck in 12 gauge, or even a bow), I'd use that. Just my $0.02

I grew up in NW Arkansas. I wasn't really into coyote hunting then, but IRC, we were only allowed to use rimfire rifles or shotguns with nothing bigger than 4 shot unless it was deer season and you had a deer tag. The Game and Fish Commission assumed that if you in the woods with anything bigger outside of deer season you were poaching deer. I think that has changed now. The people you are reading about may be in a state with similar laws.

I did kill one coyote back then with a 22lr. I was squirrel hunting and our paths just happened to cross.

Killed several with a .22. Never put one down on the spot and had to track them, but dead is dead, right?
My ammo of choice is the Aguila Supermaximum hollow points. The pill is only 30 grains, but it zips out there at 1,750 fps so packs a pretty good punch!

I recently came to Florida for the winter and according to their Wildlife regs, I can only use a shotgun or rimfire rifle on public hunting areas, so I brought along my .22lr with my .204 and .223 to stay legal...

While there are many Coyotes killed with shotguns, mine would not be legal for hunting with an 8 round tube that can't be reasonably removed or plugged...and I would have no qualms about taking one with a .22lr if the conditions were in my favor...

If I get a chance to hunt private land, then it will be with my .204 or .223...

If I caught one in the hen house yes but I'd shoot it 4-5 times and hope it didn't get free. Other than that I wouldn't unless I had to.

23ab07acca66ee5dad2770c64c1d5546.jpg

I've shot a few myself with the 22lr but certanly it would not be my first choice.

Last edited:
Cracks me up how this nearly four year old thread gets resurrected and gets legs under it again.
smile.gif

I am planning a coyote hunt tonight. not for fur, but for predator control. my friends farm is basically over run with coyotes. They have neighbors with in ear shot and we dont want to be out there banging away with high powered rifles or shot guns. for this reason we are electing to use 22lr's. our furthest shots should be around 50 yards. ideally we are looking for around 30 yards. I had planned to just shoot for double lungs and call it good enough. should I attempt head shots? it will be at night with lights. thoughts?

As said above for the past decade, shot placement and then follow up. Good luck. Have you considered a shotgun? It should be effective out to 50 yards, be sure to check the fattening.

How did it go? Did you end up getting any coyotes with your 22LR.

I've kill several coyotes with 22LR and would agree that it isn't the ideal round but it will do the job with a well placed shot at a reasonable range. A double lung shot at 30 yards will kill a coyote but it is like to run off or start "spinning" before it dies. I wouldn't hesitate on a head shot at 30 yards. Just make sure you are 100% confident in you precision if you are taking head shots. I would also be using premium ammunition.

I would agree that a shotgun would be a more effective tool for 50 yards or less but understand your concern about noise. Remember that multiple shots from a 22LR could arguably create just as much noise pollution as a single shotgun blast.

In Tennessee we were limited at times to rimfire, but we used 22WMR. It did the job if the shot placement was decent. But a 22LR would give me pause unless I was within 25 yards or so and had a semi-auto for multiple hits.

The chances of consistently getting within 30 yards for your shot would seem very low to me.

If it is legal I wouldn’t be to worried about the neighbors. If you are shooting coyotes there should not be to much “banging away”. How many do you think you are going to call and shots you will get? One or 2 at most of lucky.

Its pretty rare that in real word hunting situations where you would get a chance for the magic perfect shot where a 22lr would make a ethical kill

I personally have killed dozens of coyotes with a compound bow and a 22lr at the same yardages (inside 50) I think a 22 lr with hollow points is every bit as effective as a broadhead. A coyote shot through the lungs or heart with either is going to die in short order. They are probably going to run 50 to 100 yards like any bow shot but die just the same. I have a very accurate 10/22 target model supressed and inside 50 or 60 yards no coyote has survived it.

Back