Reloading Manual

It really depends on what you load. I load .17 calibers and most reloading manuals start at 204 ruger. The hornady has quite a few 17 calibers in it.

This question is asked quite often and I don't think you can really pick just one. I have over 2 dozen of them.

I think you need at least one from a bullet manufacture and one from a powder supplier.

The one from the bullet company will have various powders, the one from the powder company will have various bullets.

That to me is the least you can do.

There is so much "load data" available on line these days, that I very seldom end up in a book anymore. And I mean actual data from manufactures, not stuff on forums.

However a while back I wanted a load for 200 gr. 35 Rem.using RL#7 and I ended up finding it in my 1951 Lyman book.

BUT:If I had to answer your question it would probably be a Lyman a newer Lyman manual. That's what I grew up on.

Sorry for rambling, hope this helps.

Being a beginner I only own one, the Lee Manual. I currently have the Nosler and Speer manuals checked out from our library. I did that to find out which I like best for my next purchase. I also go the the supply store and look through the Hornady often.

What I have found is the manuals from bullet manufacturers seem to only list a few powder options for a particular bullet/weight. Going to the powder manufacturers reload data gives load data not found in some books.

I looked over the Hodgden & Alliant Powder(those being the only powders I am finding locally) webpages to get data for everything I load and found plenty of options.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

I think a person could get by with only one manual. I would suggest starting with the one you feel is strongest in explaining safety, methods,and tips for reloading rather than having tons of load data. Then look at the webpage for whatever powder you can find to see if they offer a load for what you are loading.

When it comes to manuals. The more the merrier!
I have never thrown one out and own them as far back as the late 60's or older, I have at least 30 or so. I've got a couple so old they're not books but scrolls! lol

Last edited:
In answer to your question, either the Lee Second Edition or the ABCs of Reloading, if you are just starting...

I've never been able to get by with one,,,even when I first started reloading and was just loading one caliber and one bullet weight/style...

Grab as much diversified sources as you can...Each source uses slightly different testing protocols and equipment, as well as worrying about the legal liability issues relative to their products..

I try to have a resource from each bullet manufacturer and powder manufacturer that I use...Some have specific information that you can download from their websites...Others send copies to their powder distributors that are free for the taking, or with a powder purchase..

Lyman is good. The latest Nosler is the best they(Nosler) have ever put out IMO.
I too have most dating back to the early 70’s and have some data that is circa 1955 before manuals.

Last edited:
I seem to bounce back and forth between the Sierra manual and the Hornady. Both have very good updated information with great loads for some of the newer rounds.

I have several manuals, but the Sierra has many updated pages downloaded from various sites that I print out and insert into the binder. Its easy to keep updated in that respect.

Thanks for the replys all. I didn't plan on just owning one but was looking for a consensus on what the best ones are. I have a hornady one now and visit powder websites allot too. I really have had good luck with hornady and sierra bullets but want to come up some loads using barnes and nosler. Seems like allot of resources have conflicting info on powder loads and working up the loads that run best in my guns is allot of fun!! This is a very addicting thing

I always have at least 3 current loading manuals plus the internet. If I had to have only one it would be the Lyman. I shoot lots of cast bullets, but it is a great source of data for all types of bullets and very informative. Speer and Sierra are also very good IMO.

like most of the others have said, you should have several. refrain from buying one box of bullets and buy another manual. i personally have 3 sierra, 3 speer, 1 hornady, 1 berger, and 1 lyman. also cartridges of the world helps for obsolete starting points. BUT, i still find myself checking the internet looking for more data. i estimate that i will have a few more manuals over the years.

sometimes people sell old manuals for cheap. nothing wrong with them at all.

Originally Posted By: chefpierresierra

+1. I use mostly Sierra bullets in all my rifles after extensive testing with several other bullet manufacturers. I do have others, but since you asked for "one", Sierra is my go-to manual.

Last edited:
Back