Ruger American.................................

I'd get a used Weatherby vanguard S2. I know it's not a Ruger, but I'm super happy with how my .243 shoots 87 grain VLD's...

I have to agree about the 77s classic good looks.

As far as accuracy, I have had better "luck" with the old tang-safety 77s.

It has been quite a while now since I have bought a Ruger bolt gun. My good bud and hunting partner still uses the old TS 77 in 243 that I load for him. It is a true tackdriver and looks/feels great. He has a matching 300 Winny that was his late fathers.......

This is different but similar. I just picked up one the American rimfires in 22lr. I played around with it for a while and then realized the ammo I was shooting is not good. I picked up some eley Remington target and some cci standard velocity. The cci shot a ragged one hole group at 50 yards that min. size was 1/3" and max 1/2"-5 shots. The eley did open up on group size, but that little rimfire sure does shoot. I was just wondering if the big brother version shot as well.

I have it in 22-250. I took it out and sighted it in with some rounds I had left after selling my 700 ADL. I shot three 5 shot groups that measured 3/4" or less. I am happy with it.

Originally Posted By: RockyMtnHuntertriggers are iffy from what ive been told by owners. They said a gunsmith can rework them so maybe $50 trigger job isnt do bad.

The trigger is adjustable and does not require a gunsmith. Not sure what complaints you are reading.

Last edited:
Does that say 3 feet four inches?? You aren't to hard to please
grin.gif

All the reports I've heard/read about the trigger were very positive..........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunDoes that say 3 feet four inches?? You aren't to hard to please
grin.gif

All the reports I've heard/read about the trigger were very positive..........

Fixed that. Fingers dont want to hit the right keys

I just installed a brake on one in 30-06 caliber. Adjusted the trigger to a clean 3.5lb, and mounted a Redfield Revenge 3X9-40 for a customer. I'm more impressed with the rifle than I wanted to be. Massive bolt, sturdy trigger housing with e-clipped pins. Lathe and Mill marks all over, but then, it's a budget rifle. I rate it far superior to the Remington 770, and on par with the Savage Axis and Mossbergs.

Hey guys just wanted to throw this out there, for those who were looking... I just got an email notification that Tomorrow night at midnight Impact Guns is having a sale on the ruger american in 270 for only $199!! I don't even need one, but at the price I think I'm going to snatch one up.

Here is a link... http://www.impactguns.com/rug-american-270-bl-navy-digi-6911-736676069101.aspx

It says $449 right now, but in my email it says tomorrow at midnight (mountain time) they'll drop to $199 while supplies last.

Back