Savage 220 deer slayer

Mr. Outdoors

My newest deer slayer. The savage 220 with a Ken Farrel base warne rings topped
Off with a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10
null_zpsefcf352a.jpg

Yes the 10x is over kill but when its not deer season it will be on an AR for hunting under the moon's during the winter and then it will be perfect. Im hoping to get it shot tonight. Ill have a report using Rem 3" accutips and Horn. sst's in a range of 100 to 300 yds. I wont have to ever shoot 300 but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

My dads got one and shots the remmy ammo. Very nice gun, very accurate. Had a few teething issues when he tightend the rail down to much messing with the bolt. So a heads up on that issue!

My dads got one and shots the remmy ammo. Very nice gun, very accurate. Had a few teething issues when he tightend the rail down to much messing with the bolt. So a heads up on that issue!

I prefer the SST's in my gun, dropped a doe at a 180 yards 2-3 seasons ago.

Well I tested the 3" accutips and the Horn SST. The accutips definitely shoot better. But Im not all that happy with the group's it shoots 1.5" at 100yds. What are you getting for groups at 100yds? Im not so sure I didn't flex the stock when shooting causing the groups to suck. I stuck a bi-pod on and shot it that way. This up coming weekend Im going to try again from just straight bags and see what happens.

Mr. O

Last edited:
I picked up the stainless version for $579..I'm still waiting for a new stock through warranty at savage. There we're a couple of white spots on it close to the size of a dime where the Camo didn't take. If my stock along with the tip on the accu tips both show this week I'll let you know how mine shoots. I bought so far to try, remington 2 3/4" & 3 " acutips, federal 3" trophy copper, hornady sst & monoflex, winchester 2 3/4" partition golds and 3" trophy bonded. My hunting buddy who talked me into this rig is getting 5/8" 5 shot groups at a 100 yards with the 2 3/4" acutips. Hornady sst' she said he had flyers and the best group was like an inch and a half at best. I've read several posts that the sst dosent perform well in the 220's. savage guarantees 1" groups with this rig with at least one of the 3 ammo choices it lists on the hang tag...both rem acutips and the federals trophy copper. Try the other 2 recommendations and if it dosent shoot send it to Savage for testing. Grab some other ammo choices to try since each barrel is different, BTW great minds think alike, I pulled my 2.5x10 monarch with the BDC rectical off my 300 RUM and installed with a DNZ mount.

Last edited:
I also read some tips on line that when shooting this rig off the bench or a rest to clench the forend and pull it into you as if your holding the gun. If it is resting by itself on a bag or sled the slug is too slow, therefore the recoil has already made the gun move and send the slug off target.

Last edited:
I agree you should look at the bipod as an issue with the synthetic stock on that set-up. I can understand where you would like better groups, I'm betting you could do that at 100 yds with cheap Foster style Winchester lead slugs.

@7887

I expect the gun to shoot at least as well as my pump 870 with a rifled barrel 3 shots touching @100yds. I'm going to fill the stock to make it more rigid. I was shooting from the ground with a bipod and was holding the gun down. The stock is flexible and with no way to consistently position the weapon I would think this is reason for the groups that im getting.

Last edited:
"My hunting buddy who talked me into this rig is getting 5/8" 5 shot groups at a 100 yards with the 2 3/4" acutips."

All day long I expect??
lol.gif

I just really want to see the slug gun that does this, that's all. See, my issue here is that people will see this and expect it. Then, when they don't get it from their own gun, it is a piece of garbage and the brand bashing begins. I'll eat my words when I see a true 5/8" slug gun.

I don't know what size groups he was shooting with his gun to tell you the truth, wasn't there when he sighted it in. I do know he was very happy with his results. Trimble ill see if i can't get some picks up this weekend if i get time to sight my 20 ga 500 in. Never measured the groups of it but i know it does pretty darned good for a slug gun. Minute of kill is usually good enough for me [beeep] haha.

trim, I have seen the target but not the actual shooting. The shooter is gunsmith out of Wausau and runs his own shop. The 220 was shot out of a lead sled. The guy shoots dozens of customers rifles a week and is probably a better shot than your average Joe.

Here is a 100 yard group from my stainless 220 using Remington 3" accutips that I shot around an hour ago.... It measured just under 3/4" of an inch (those squares on the target are one inch increments). I accra glassed behind the front tang to achieve this. Before bedding my best group was with the shorter Remington 2 3/4" accutips that at best were 1 7/8" and all the rest of the ammo I tried were 3" to 4" plus groups. After bedding most of the test ammo groups shrank to under 2"

10366162466_355395da50_m.jpg

10366365103_603aefd04d_m.jpg

Last edited:
MrOutdoors...Not to hijack this thread, but could you please tell me what slugs you are using to achieve this kind of accuracy? I am having a heck of a time trying to find a good slug for my 870 with a 20 inch rifled barrel. Thanks...Originally Posted By: Mr. Outdoors@7887

I expect the gun to shoot at least as well as my pump 870 with a rifled barrel 3 shots touching @100yds. I'm going to fill the stock to make it more rigid. I was shooting from the ground with a bipod and was holding the gun down. The stock is flexible and with no way to consistently position the weapon I would think this is reason for the groups that im getting.

@SGT
I always shoot the Horn. SST in my 870. My barrel is 24" long. I think it is an Itaska barrel. Ive had it for a number of years. The only reason I switched is that the 870 will allow 2 shells to come out of the magazine at a time, once in a while.

Back