What is your favorite shotgun for Yotin?

Rhinorider

I am thinking about getting a new scatter gun for ole Wiley. What's everyone use? 3 1/2 Mag's? Here in WV we are restricted to using #4 shot or smaller. BTW I am set up to handload. I prefer not to break the bank just a daily hunter that I wouldn't cry if I scratch it, I would also like camo, sling,

Chupa, I was wrong on shot size, I just looked at the regs again, and it is #2 or smaller for night hunting. Below is our regs pasted from the state website.

COYOTE HUNTING REGULATIONS
Coyotes may be hunted year round.

Hunting coyotes at night using any color artificial light is legal from January 1 thru July 31.

Firearms legal for night coyote hunting are shotguns with #2
or smaller shot and rifles and handguns of .22 caliber center fire or smaller and .22 caliber rimfire or smaller.

During closed small game season, coyotes may only be hunted
in open fields. Guns must be cased while being transported to and from the open field.

Electronic calls are legal.

There is no daily, annual or season bag limit

Shooting a Benelli Super Nova with an 18.5" aftermarket Carlson's barrel. I usually shoot 3" loads, no real need for 3.5" loads.

The Coyote Slayer I dream of having is a Benelli M4... Mean mean mean machine... Played with one a few times, just enough to get me hooked. I'd sell the middle toe off of my left foot for it.

Originally Posted By: Rhinorider

COYOTE HUNTING REGULATIONS

During closed small game season, coyotes may only be hunted
in open fields. Guns must be cased while being transported to and from the open field.

Wish I lived there; NOT!

Whatever my favorite bird hunting shotgun is has always been my favorite coyote hunting shotgun.

You don't need a special shotgun to kill coyotes.

Any 12 ga pump or semi-auto 3" shotgun that is a bird hunting shotgun will be a great coyote shotgun.

I like my Browning O/U Sporting Clays gun for shooting Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays. But when hunting anything I want 3 shots.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorShooting a Benelli Super Nova with an 18.5" aftermarket Carlson's barrel. I usually shoot 3" loads, no real need for 3.5" loads.

The Coyote Slayer I dream of having is a Benelli M4... Mean mean mean machine... Played with one a few times, just enough to get me hooked. I'd sell the middle toe off of my left foot for it.

Check the versa-max. Same operating system as the M4 but in a field design rather than HD, you can interchange the majority of the parts between the two.

I shoot an 870 Express that will shoot both 2-3/4" & 3" shells.
However, I only use 2-3/4".

If I could have the gun I really want...it would be an Ithaca Model 37 DSPS manufactured between 1970-1985.
Five-round mag; parkerized finish; 18.5" barrel.
Those actions were silky-smooth, & I loved the bottom ejection.
(Dad has an 8-shot 20" version)
I'd have the original cylinder-bore barrel threaded to accept screw-in chokes.
And I'd top it with XS Ghost Ring rifle sights.

Since you're limited to no larger than #2 shot, that is what I'd go with in your situation.
But, make sure to test pattern a few choke constrictions in whatever gun you choose, as all guns & loads are different.

Mossberg 835 with 3.5" #4 buck. It throws a killing pattern well beyond what I consider an ethical shot. BTW I added a knoxx stock, the recoil is brutal.

Originally Posted By: YetiHunterBenelli M2
21" barrel

+1
thumbup.gif

Back