Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2563790 - 10/29/13 08:54 PM Cat trappin'
TxPigKiller Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Throckmorton County, TX
Hey, maybe I'm getting edgey in my old age. I'm so tired of everyone looking for bobcats. Can you help me trapping cats, etc. Most of us consider cats a bonus, we all trap yotes and work WITH landowners.
Hey, greenhorn listen up!!!! Yep bobcat goes for high lot 1100 bucks, those are just an amzaing cat. You cant just get on here, ask us guys/gals that trap to polish your checkbook. I like helping people but this is nuts. Learn how to trap, learn how to get ground, F&%?K learn how to get ground, dont come here and ask me to tell you how to just come here thinkin' you are going to be getting your lessons from Bear Claw Chris Lapp.
I do share info with FUR_DOWN, OL'TURTLE(when he aint teachin me), and ROCKY1. Whens the last time you strapped on snowshoes to check traps? Stuffed cardboard in front of your grill to keep the -20 air out so you dont freeze to death, or had your gal find your special lure mix in the frig?
Slow down turbo, the help is here, just dont shove your cash money dreams down our throats. We got enough of Obummer Care.

After 8 years in the infantry, fighting for your right to burn the flag, I have only one thing for you before you light it up. Wrap yourself in it first!!!

#2563813 - 10/29/13 09:36 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Wyoming
Originally Posted By: WyYoteKiller
Hey, maybe I'm getting edgey in my old age. I'm so tired of everyone looking for bobcats. Can you help me trapping cats, etc. Most of us consider cats a bonus, we all trap yotes and work WITH landowners.
Hey, greenhorn listen up!!!! Yep bobcat goes for high lot 1100 bucks, those are just an amzaing cat. You cant just get on here, ask us guys/gals that trap to polish your checkbook. I like helping people but this is nuts. Learn how to trap, learn how to get ground, F&%?K learn how to get ground, dont come here and ask me to tell you how to just come here thinkin' you are going to be getting your lessons from Bear Claw Chris Lapp.
I do share info with FUR_DOWN, OL'TURTLE(when he aint teachin me), and ROCKY1. Whens the last time you strapped on snowshoes to check traps? Stuffed cardboard in front of your grill to keep the -20 air out so you dont freeze to death, or had your gal find your special lure mix in the frig?
Slow down turbo, the help is here, just dont shove your cash money
dreams down our throats. We got enough of Obummer Care.

Get off your high horse pal this is a forum, I have endured months of learning how to trap cats and yotes, I didn't have internet when I started so it was trial and error, still if a greenhorn goes out there with advice he still has learn his way. Nothing wrong with asking for help. If you don't like it then don't respond.

#2563832 - 10/29/13 09:58 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
dogslayer88 Offline

Loc: wyoming
what's wrong with asking questions. atleast we are trying to learn how to do this and just for your information im not doing it to line my pocket book I could care less for the money im sure there are a few others that feel the same way if you don't like it don't look at the threads.

#2563852 - 10/29/13 10:38 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
TxPigKiller Offline
Die Hard Member

Well I worked hard to learn my lessons amd I share my experience...its all the I"M A CAT TRAPPER, tell me how I get tired of.
I share, I just hate these guys that hear that cats go for $2000 a piece that think they can be trappers with a dozen trap and go for it

After 8 years in the infantry, fighting for your right to burn the flag, I have only one thing for you before you light it up. Wrap yourself in it first!!!

#2563890 - 10/29/13 11:55 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Well I worked hard to learn my lessons amd I share my experience...its all the I"M A CAT TRAPPER, tell me how I get tired of.
I share, I just hate these guys that hear that cats go for $2000 a piece that think they can be trappers with a dozen trap and go for it

Its happening all over Montana and Wyoming, a lot of those types make us look bad. I understand your frustration on this subject, I remember trapping cats in Wyoming when the prices were pretty low, and nobody hardly trapped, yotes were only bringing about 15 bucks cats were about 75 or 100. Now there are trappers everywhere. My Old man started trapping cats in Cody, WY back in the 70's when the fur prices were good and he still talks about all the trappers there were back then. I am sure the prices will fall out eventually and so will the fly by night trappers.

#2565189 - 11/01/13 04:06 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Pack_Wolf Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: N. Central Colorado
Sorry to hear that some of the newbies are giving the sport/trade a bad name. Those of you who don't want to open up to us,..I'm sure your reasons are valid in your mind.

My personal situation is I am 70 and have always liked to call coyotes and I did run a trap line in Arizona once. When I came to Colorado the laws didn't allow leg holds of which I still have about 25 of mine.
I finally found several ranch managers who have allowed me to have access to their place, and it has come through years of working with them.
At my age and health, or lack of it, I have decided to try to trap bobcat this year. I never thought to ask the older guys if it would be alright. I'm somewhat crippled now, but I still have my snow shoes and can make the rounds slowly.
I just bought another ATV and trailer, and today I just ordered some cage traps. I know it is an up hill battle but this is coming from within, not to make money. I love the out doors and the combination of the ranch availability and my past experiences, I am going to learn how to trap and put up some skins. Failure is a definite possibility and you are certainly welcome to put me into a pigeon hole, call me names, and /or ignore me.

I'm relatively isolated, so I can't hurt anyone with my lack of success and I certainly will not bother any of you knowledgeable old salts with my feeble attempts. In a few short years there will be a dozen slightly used cage traps for you to bargain for.

My background is in education, as I had 35 years in the classroom, ran a small farm and a photography business.
I was among many hard working individuals who poured their lives, both day and night, to make all facets of education work. Not only doing the teaching job for profit, I volunteered a lot. Sports, after school activities, you name it. I coached many years too. There are thousands of individuals who dedicate their lives into showing young people what they know and they love doing it. My own children are all working and all are still volunteering to help others after hours. One of my sons coaches several teams all year in BBall Fball,soccer and is greatly responsible for a high school feeding program of many serious dedicated athletes.

I am somewhat surprised at the attitude that too many newbies may be asking for help.

I have to admit that I'm old and may not understand all things properly. I have respected those who have helped me along on my journey of life however, and I stand ready to help others still.

Pack

#2565201 - 11/01/13 04:30 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
NMBorderYote Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Del Rio, TX
Pack,
I am not a cat trapping expert, but I do catch my fair share and also run a few cage traps down here in New Mexico.

Neat to see you out giving it an effort and keeping on the move. My own father who is shy of you only by a couple of years would be out with me on my line if he lived close by.

If there is anything I can offer, please PM me and I will throw out my .02 cents for whatever it is worth. Best of luck this season.

#2565204 - 11/01/13 04:36 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
TxPigKiller Offline
Die Hard Member

Pack my post was not directed at folks like yourself, sounds like you have paid your dues and sounds like you have a good plan. It was the opposite of you it was directed at. It wont be long and you'll see another one thats says "well I got my new dozen cat traps, what do I do?" The only thing these guys read in FF&G is the last auction price and a way they go.
I normally try and help everyone out, just tired of the same question, anyone whose trapped yotes has more than likely caught a cat or 2. I dont find them that difficult to catch when I find them. And I do share what I have come across, but most of these guys have no clue what they are getting into.
I do cheer on all new comers, as I do wish you a good season with lotsa hair.
PS- I hope I'm still at it when I got 30 more winters behind me, hats offs to ya Pack

#2565220 - 11/01/13 05:14 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
elks Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Central WY
I fully understand the frustration. Here in Colorado the number of guys trying to trap cats is unreal. If I wanted to I could go out and find 10-15 different traps a day. It seems like everyone wants to trap cats now and none of them know WTH they are doing. I am not against trapping and new people but seriously just around my home town last winter there are a known 180+ Traps. Like I said they were everywhere...

The other crap is the new guys are happy to get any cat. Last year the local DOW officer checked 26 cats. Of them 18 were females, 2 were kittens and only 1 was a mature tom.

It will not be longs with those sorts of numbers until we see further regulation here... Fun part was last year yote hunting. I saw where 4 different guys had traps with in 600 yards of each other. One guy would come through at first light check his trap, next guy was at lunch, another at quitting time and the last guy was checking with a head lamp at around 9:00pm

My only hope is that some of these guys start loosing so much money they get out of trapping and start selling thier old used traps for cheap.

I also know that many are not following our state laws either. We are required to check traps ever 24 hours. I know traps that get check once a week at best. I have turned this over to the DOW, but really they are not going to sit on a trap waiting for the owner to show up in 1-5 days.

All a man needs in life is open ground good guns and a wife who can skin.

#2565237 - 11/01/13 05:40 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
TxPigKiller Offline
Die Hard Member

I absolutely am all for new folks, I have had several teenagers shadow me, I actually went thru 4 in one season. Its all fun for a week, then the early mornings and repeated checks turns out to be too much for them and they just quit showing up. The law is every 3 days on footholds and every 7 on snares. I try and check all EVERYDAY, and its alot of miles.
These guys that kill every cat are going to really hurt the seed stock...It is literally the market leading them down the path to OUR ruin. I really yote trap and only set for cat when I know theres a big one around, most of my cat catches are cats checking out a yote set. And I carry welding gloves to turn Females and kittens loose. I have seen, like yourself, while I was checking in a cat a guys showup that traps further down a drainage, off the ranch I was on. I have one cat(600), and he has 4 (12 lbs maybe). The next year he sees me at the bar and ask how my cat season is going, I said it was a tough year....He tells me he hadnt even seen any sign...I was like even though you killed all your kittens last year, you dont have any cats on your ground? I still dont think he understands that the hole in jis foot is from his own gun.

#2565687 - 11/02/13 08:55 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
sigpros Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: missouri
It's worse with coon trappers. In a way I'm not looking forward to season

#2565882 - 11/03/13 10:02 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
DesertGhost Offline
Seasoned Member

Wy, I have several new guys that Im taking out with me this year to kind of show them the ropes. I understand the "where do I set the trap to get the cat" mentality with those looking at shear numbers at the sales. First thing I did with the guys that wanted me to take them out their first year was make them find a spot to scout and trap. Im not going to take them to my trap line only to have every one of them start trapping it! I am a firm believer and practice letting all the females and small y.o.y. kittens go. At the same time, I dont try and stop guys within their legal right on harvesting. I figure if I can educate them on the reasons to let some cats go, maybe they will spread the word with the other new trappers. I would hope everyone would practice releasing a portion of their catch. but I know of one guy here that keeps EVERYTHING he catches. had a several kittens in his lots last year. cant get everyone on board...

Pack, Keep at it! If you have any questions feel free to ask! I talked with a guy about putting up fur for someone he sees as another father figure. The gentleman is 83 and still trapping strong! I hope Ill still be able to get out and trap that late into life!!

#2568728 - 11/08/13 05:02 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Brad Phillips Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Gilbertville, IA
Yes, big money does crazy things to people. In Iowa coons are rumored to bring good money this year and their are "coon" trappers everywhere.

I have seen some of the cats that come from the Buffalo, Wyoming area. Simply amazing critters. Back then they were only worth $300 bucks on the top end...

#2628030 - 02/02/14 09:38 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
TommyP Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Minnesota, USA
I just want to get one bobcat but I'm going to keep my mouth shut now.

#2628116 - 02/02/14 11:23 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
eaglerock Offline
Predator Master

Loc: crookston minnesota
Theres a wannabe in gildford mt. aka The Gildford Legend. Got kicked off several sites for his rude coments and big mouth. frequents a couple other sites , making everyone think he knows what he's doing ,claims to catch truck loads of coyotes , { about 6 or 8 a year } fact of the matter is he couldn't catch a mouse in a coffee can. Invites guys from surrounding states to come trap his area , then follows then around trying to learn their ways . He takes them to places without getting permission , doesn't tag his traps , pretty much illegal with everything he does , someday he and his buddies are gonna get busted big time and then he'll blame them . a real piece of work this dude is .

#2628128 - 02/02/14 11:58 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
bonecollector777 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: AZ
They will all get out of it after this year when since the cat prices are down. Then you won't have to worry about them. I don't think there is a problem if they Ask a question or two but I think some are just lazy. If you just read around on the forums and buy a couple dvds you can get a decent idea of what to do and learn from there.

#2628717 - 02/03/14 07:28 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

I absolutely am all for new folks, I have had several teenagers shadow me, I actually went thru 4 in one season. Its all fun for a week, then the early mornings and repeated checks turns out to be too much for them and they just quit showing up. The law is every 3 days on footholds and every 7 on snares. I try and check all EVERYDAY, and its alot of miles.
These guys that kill every cat are going to really hurt the seed stock...It is literally the market leading them down the path to OUR ruin. I really yote trap and only set for cat when I know theres a big one around, most of my cat catches are cats checking out a yote set. And I carry welding gloves to turn Females and kittens loose. I have seen, like yourself, while I was checking in a cat a guys showup that traps further down a drainage, off the ranch I was on. I have one cat(600), and he has 4 (12 lbs maybe). The next year he sees me at the bar and ask how my cat season is going, I said it was a tough year....He tells me he hadnt even seen any sign...I was like even though you killed all your kittens last year, you dont have any cats on your ground? I still dont think he understands that the hole in jis foot is from his o

I want to know how your cats far with a frozen foot once your release them, yea letting the ones go that you can is good practice but I just don't see how you can let ever single female and kitten go. Most of the time kittens are in search of a home range so even if you do let them go they very well might never be back.

Edited by EJ Reichenbach (02/03/14 07:29 PM)

#2628731 - 02/03/14 07:44 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Estherville,IA
I started trapping WY for coyotes. I didn't go late enough and buy license till my 4th yr. I did it so I could keep the badgers and the few cats I caught, most I got was 12 in a trip, they averaged 125$ back then.
When I first got my license the # was 19 or 20 and my last one was 289 I think. 10x the non res going to WY.

#2629337 - 02/04/14 03:43 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
sdl Offline
Predator Master

Loc: wv
sounds like somebodys time of the month...

#2629774 - 02/05/14 12:55 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

it would be a waste of money and time to check everyday when you have a 3 day check. The best coyote trappers think 3 days is too often. I would never let a frozen foot cat or canine go. A cat can't survive without both front paws.

#2632216 - 02/07/14 11:00 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: Tactical .20]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

Loc: U.S. / Mexico Border
I am still a complete greenhorn with trapping yotes and cats. This is my 2nd season now, and my first season trying to handle the pelts for auction. I'm 30+ yotes and 3 bobcats in, and I still haven't a fuzzy idea what I'm doing.

I don't quite understand what the OP was ranting about...

Do you guys mean to say you're not checking your traps everyday? Do the states you trap in not require that?

I have all of mine set to where I can ride my dirt bike in to check them in a timely fashion and do my best to get to them on a daily basis.

#2632314 - 02/08/14 06:33 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: EJ Reichenbach]
John S Offline

Loc: S E TX
Originally Posted By: EJ Reichenbach

Its happening all over Montana and Wyoming, a lot of those types make us look bad. I understand your frustration on this subject, I remember trapping cats in Wyoming when the prices were pretty low, and nobody hardly trapped, yotes were only bringing about 15 bucks cats were about 75 or 100. Now there are trappers everywhere. My Old man started trapping cats in Cody, WY back in the 70's when the fur prices were good and he still talks about all the trappers there were back then. I am sure the prices will fall out eventually and so will the fly by night trappers.
Looks like you have been playing in the snow to much, that is what the forums are about, asking question.

#2632644 - 02/08/14 04:27 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Wyoming is a 3 day check Montana doesn't have a check time. I think Idaho is 3 days I think Nevada is like a 4 day check I think. Around here our cats take forever to come back through so if you check sets everyday your gonna go broke.

#2632725 - 02/08/14 06:27 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: EJ Reichenbach]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

New Mexico regs say the traps have to be checked on a daily basis. Luckily I live in the middle of no where so I trap pretty close to my house and my dirt bike gets great mileage.

It seems if I have a yote in a trap for more than a day I often find a foot or leg left. You guys don't get this occurring a lot with checking the traps every 3 days?

#2632908 - 02/08/14 09:32 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Never had that happen.

#2633038 - 02/09/14 12:40 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

3 day check, I like it best, 1 day check in IA sucks, 1 out of 3 days or more they don't move. If you have a problem like that it isn't the amount of time. it is a toe catch or something I never had happen. Use 3lbs pan tension, wire screen pan covers, swivels on your chain, and you should have no problems.

#2633050 - 02/09/14 12:53 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

How do those things help prevent the coyote from chewing his leg off?

#2634026 - 02/10/14 10:38 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

I've never had a coyote chew it's leg off, I use 4-5 lbs of pan tension everything I catch is always. Caught deep plus no rabbits or birds

#2634091 - 02/10/14 12:13 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

How do you measure pan tension?

#2634107 - 02/10/14 12:41 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tbone-AZ Offline
PM senior

Loc: AZ, Phoenix
I would imagine that you could put a 3# weight on a rope and lower it on a pan, if it goes off.. You got it, if not, get the files out.

#2634115 - 02/10/14 12:51 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tbone-AZ Offline
PM senior

I have been interested in learning to trap, this state is a bit of a pain, and I live in the city. But I think it would be a good skill to learn, and like most things it takes practice, patience, and research.. I appreciate those that are willing to share knowledge and experience, but have no time for those that want to be negative about it. Share, don't share, I will keep looking, learning, and practicing.
Most experienced people can share everything you know, and it won't make a difference, if you don't have some time in the field trying and learning. If you don't know how to look at the land and read the channels, if you don't know anything about it, the knowledge that you are trying to share won't make sense and it's just going to go over their heads.

I have a pair of laminated traps that i set out near my campsite at night when I am out calling for a weekend. In the morning I check them, I have been lucky once, but i don't know enough to ask an intelligent question yet (it must have been the dumbest coyote in the country), and wouldn't understand what you are saying anyways. So for now I will watch, listen, and hope that the light will click and make more sense as i read what those are willing to share. I have been watching a pile of youtube video's and learning a lot.. Those Canadians love to tape everything.

Thank you, to those willing or interested in sharing.

Edited by Tbone-AZ (02/10/14 12:52 PM)

#2634392 - 02/10/14 06:53 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
dwilson Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Massena ny
You can buy a guage at kaatz brothers. Simple to use. Set the trap. Place in the middle of the pan and push down. When the trap fires, whatever it reads for pressure is the weight. Its inexpensive.

#2634864 - 02/11/14 10:13 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: RuggedExposure]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Originally Posted By: RuggedExposure
How do you measure pan tension?

I have a meat scale and I train my thumb. It's easy to do just use your thumb and push down on scale to about 3 lbs and hold it there.

#2635005 - 02/11/14 01:39 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
phutch30 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: MT
Canine "chewing thier leg off" just doesnt happen, at leastn not with any reasonable check time. IF that is happening I would be looking at something big and hungry taking your catches. In 30 years of trapping Ive never seen a canine chew or twist out of a trap. Pull out and run away lots of times never the afore mentioned.

I always check the feet on females and kittens. Anything broke or froze and it comes with me. If the foots good it gets a free pass. Frozen feet are very common here in Dec/Jan if the temps drop. I use offsets to reduce the occurance but it still happens.

#2635008 - 02/11/14 01:40 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
phutch30 Offline
Die Hard Member

I use a 2x4 cut to a length that equals 3lbs. Place it on the pan and its go or no go

#2635206 - 02/11/14 05:47 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: phutch30]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

Originally Posted By: phutch30
Canine "chewing thier leg off" just doesnt happen, at leastn not with any reasonable check time. IF that is happening I would be looking at something big and hungry taking your catches. In 30 years of trapping Ive never seen a canine chew or twist out of a trap. Pull out and run away lots of times never the afore mentioned.

I always check the feet on females and kittens. Anything broke or froze and it comes with me. If the foots good it gets a free pass. Frozen feet are very common here in Dec/Jan if the temps drop. I use offsets to reduce the occurance but it still happens.

I've had it happen twice this season, once the coyote yanked at the trap for a 36 hour period or so and left a foot behind. The other was an entire leg of a small adult, from the shoulder down. Maybe it's a southern thing?

Edited by RuggedExposure (02/11/14 05:47 PM)

#2635208 - 02/11/14 05:47 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: phutch30]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

I use a 2x4 cut to a length that equals 3lbs. Place it on the pan and its go or no go

Great idea.

#2635679 - 02/12/14 08:54 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Shoulder down had to have been something else, I just don't see that happening, do u have lions?

#2635845 - 02/12/14 01:12 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
phutch30 Offline
Die Hard Member

Frankly I dont see the foot either in 36 hrs unless some ones using a #6 bear trap. Those coyotes had to have help getting removed.

#2636148 - 02/12/14 07:45 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

I know I have had them in over 72 hrs with no foot damage

#2636480 - 02/13/14 07:57 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

Could it be because I'm using Duke traps without lamination?

#2636755 - 02/13/14 02:11 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
phutch30 Offline
Die Hard Member

Rugged- Could you describe the trap setup your using i.e size staking system etc

#2636852 - 02/13/14 05:11 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
devildogg Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: usa
I hate the crowds every year there is more and more people its getting harder and harder to get permission to hunt. There are tire tracks everywhere the animals get smarter and smarter calling tournys are every weekend.I hate 5 years ago there was no one and now there are people all over. people pay farmers to sew up land for tournys.

#2636859 - 02/13/14 05:50 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: RuggedExposure]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Could it be because I'm using Duke traps without lamination?

No because I use a lot of 4 coiled dukes without laminations and I don't have that happen

#2637019 - 02/13/14 10:04 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: phutch30]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

Rugged- Could you describe the trap setup your using i.e size staking system etc

Typically I use a dirt hole set, double staked with double swivels. Duke 1-3/4 4 coil or Minnesota brand traps. It's not uncommon for my coyotes to yank so much they cut through their wrists and are only hanging on by tendons or the bone.

#2637422 - 02/14/14 02:57 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
phutch30 Offline
Die Hard Member

LOL Enough Rugged. There is NO WAY thats happening, no way! I hate to call you out, but this is stupid. Unless you sharpened you jaws, it just never happens. Ive never seen it in 30 years and I asked several other trappers about this who catch LOTS of canines and they have never seen it. Ive never even seen it with incidental fox in large traps.

Some foot damage can occur on occasion, but with a trap like your describing no way and regular checks. Sorry no way.

Find me one other trapper that has this happen or ever had it happen an I'll admit Im wrong.

My guess is your not a trapper and your making this up for some a-hole reason, either way you need to stop.

Edited by phutch30 (02/14/14 02:58 PM)

#2637438 - 02/14/14 03:39 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: phutch30]
Cattrax Offline

Loc: Wy
Rugged I have to wonder if you are trying to fish for comments because you are an anti trapper, I've trapped since the later 70's and caught a lot of coyotes, and cats, and the only time I ever seen a coyote pull out on its own was because of a toe catch, that can happen in 2 hours or 3 days, if you are losing them from the shoulder down you are either trying to start something, or you have something or someone, messing with your catches, going to have to say BS to them doing it on their own!

#2637468 - 02/14/14 04:57 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

You guys are funny. I just got done brushing these for the auction in Globe, AZ tomorrow:

That's my dog on the end.

I trapped this big guy in January, and he hadn't been in the trap for more than 12 hours:

See how much he yanked and dug in 12 hours? You don't think he could tear his leg up in 36?

Here's a few dogs from last year:

Javelina from 2012:

I think it's safe to say I'm not on here trying to irritate people or cause problems. In fact, I'm going to go takes pics of some coyotes that I've had tear up their legs, be back in a few.

#2637484 - 02/14/14 05:34 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
phutch30 Offline
Die Hard Member

Wow them coyotes can really scuff up loose sand.

#2637498 - 02/14/14 06:02 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

OK, here is a coyote from last week. He could not have been in the trap for more than 36 hours.
You can see he managed to break the bone in his leg and was only left hanging by a tendon in the trap. This was a Duke 1 3/4 4 coil.

Here is the style of Duke trap I am using, and with a box swivel. Am I doing something wrong with the way the swivel is attached?

On March 3rd last year I had presumably a coyote open up the eyelet of this hook and run off with the trap:

I actually found the trap today laying in a different pasture to the north

Same exact trap I lost last year, and it has clotted up blood and fur in the jaws:

What say you guys now?

Edited by RuggedExposure (02/14/14 06:09 PM)

#2637506 - 02/14/14 06:21 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tbone-AZ Offline
PM senior

would it make sense to add a spring to the swivel if that is what is happening?

#2637507 - 02/14/14 06:23 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: Tbone-AZ]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

Jesus Christ. Finally a reasonable answer.

Does anyone else use inline springs? Or have pictures of how they run these in conjunction with box swivels?

Could it be climate? I imagine most of you guys are trapping in real winter conditions with cold temperatures. It's only dropped below freezing a few days so far this winter, and today it's 78* F.
Is it possible that the cold coyotes spend more time curled up in the trap conserving energy while these southern dogs are constantly pulling?

Edited by RuggedExposure (02/14/14 06:38 PM)

#2637566 - 02/14/14 07:42 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Rugged does this happen with the mb traps?

Here is what I would do to the dukes cuz I did have a few beat up feat with some #3 four coiled, I would add an extra swivel and shorten the chain to 1 link of chain between the swivels, I use earth anchors I would highly recommend them, next I would take a file and round off the jaws so there not so sharp, I would try a few with only 2 coils and see how it does, if it continues you will need to laminate the jaws.

#2637571 - 02/14/14 07:45 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Great job on putting up our coyotes, sorry to say your cats are way to wide. Your gonna miss out on some money there for sure.

#2637576 - 02/14/14 07:53 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

Thanks for the ideas. Yes the dogs tear up their feet just as bad with the MB traps, and they are outside laminated.

What do you mean by the cats being too wide? Should I not use wire stretchers?

#2637581 - 02/14/14 08:00 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

I would recommend either buying some Otis stretchers or building some like them. I hate wire stretchers for cats.

#2637595 - 02/14/14 08:29 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

Why is it not desirable for the pelt to be wide? Does it make the belly fur look smaller?

Also how would a 2 coil trap help with the coyotes destroying their feet? I thought the only difference between a 2 and 4 coil was the amount of force generated closing the trap (quicker).
Are earth anchors hard to drive into the soil in rocky terrain?

#2637622 - 02/14/14 09:35 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

The fur buyers love it when you stretch too wide, I shoot for around 9.5 or 10 wide that's from outside of fur not the stretchers, that's the accual fur. Cats are measured from nose to base of tail or whatever the shortest point is, that's why it is very important to get the area at the base of the tail even all the way across, cuz the furbuyer will measure the shortest spot. The difference between a 41 inch cat and a 38 can be $100 on a good cat

A 4 coiled trap holds 2 times stronger than a 2 coil. Idk you must have coyotes that are on crack or something. I would definetly go to a short chain and 3 swivels. With a long chain they have all that play to really jerk around.

#2637625 - 02/14/14 09:38 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Get rid of those 3/16 j hooks or weld them shut. Go to a mb crunch proof swivel and #3 chain. Or at least #2

#2637663 - 02/14/14 10:58 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

Ahhhh... I understand what you are saying now. Originally I thought you meant the buyers would penalize me for having them too wide. Next season I'll use wooden stretchers for the cats.

You may be on to something with the long chain. I double swiveled the chains that came with the traps and did not remove any links. Maybe the extra 3" is giving them enough room to create extra force?

Thank you EJ for being a lot of help on here. Too bad people like Phutch30 and Cattrax can't contribute in a positive manner and give trappers a bad name. thumbdown

#2637670 - 02/14/14 11:03 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
MB Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: NE Ohio
What EJ said on the hooks and chain. Your 1 pic shows twin loop chain= junk for coyote traps.

on 2/14 you have pics..(MB 650 ? coming out of dye)decent trap if legal...and twin loop chain on another.

Check into JC Conners shock springs.

my .02...

Edited by MB (02/14/14 11:14 PM)
Edit Reason: corrected...sorry for the rant

#2637676 - 02/14/14 11:09 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: MB]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

Originally Posted By: MB
What EJ said on the hooks and chain. Your 1 pic shows twin loop chain= junk for coyote traps.

I have no problem helping people....., but what state are you in ? The following is from your posts..

on 2/8 you said NM with a daily check...
on 2/11 you talk of a coyote with damage on a 36 hr check
on 2/14 you have pics...(MB 650 ? coming out of dye)decent trap if legal...and twin loop chain on another.

The only help I give people breaking the laws are to keep them from getting my sport banished ! We all have a learning curve...but intentional law breaking and complaining of foot damage is not acceptable.

Check into JC Conners shock springs.

my .02...

How am I breaking the law?
NM trapping guidelines say:
Land Sets: No foot-hold trap with an outside spread more than 7 inches, if laminated above
the jaw surfaces or tooth-jawed traps, shall be used in making a land set. All foot-hold traps with an
inside jaw spread equal to or more than 5½ inches shall be offset, unless they have padded jaws.

and on the time interval for checking a trap:
Trap Inspection: A licensed trapper or his/her representative (agent) must make a visual
inspection of each trap every calendar day. All traps must be personally checked by the trapper every
other calendar day and all wildlife must be removed.

So if I check a trap at 6am on a Monday, and then the next day (Tuesday) at 6 pm, that is a 36 hour span. But I am still legally checking my trap every calendar day.
Here are the NM trapping regs:
http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/publications/documents/rib/2014/sections/28Furbearers.pdf

#2637698 - 02/14/14 11:37 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Live and learn man it's all part of the game, I go in this order coming off the baseplate, swivel then 1 or 2 links then another swivel then 1 or 2 links then another swivel. I'm starting to like just 1 link inbetween swivels. They can't get tangled or anything.

#2637702 - 02/14/14 11:45 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

The springs are a waste of money IMO I have never used them more will I ever start. If your chain and swivel setup is good and short the coyote can't lunge. Springs were invented for those who like long chains, if your chain is short you don't need a spring, long chains make it a pain in the rear to bed you have to coil all that extra chain under the trap.

#2637704 - 02/14/14 11:46 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: RuggedExposure]
Cattrax Offline

I bet if you were to go at it a different way you could get a lot more help, you really need to realize that pictures and posts off of these sites have been used against trappers in court by anti's, when you lose the attitude PM me and I will give you some ideas, and some pointers on fur put up.

#2637706 - 02/14/14 11:50 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
MB Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: NE Ohio
I think the springs have shown helpful to others with toe catches..as I feel off/sets do..I am in the process of adding some to my line. Toe catches are rare for me....but it does happen sometimes.

#2637711 - 02/15/14 12:02 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: Cattrax]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

Originally Posted By: Cattrax
I bet if you were to go at it a different way you could get a lot more help, you really need to realize that pictures and posts off of these sites have been used against trappers in court by anti's, when you lose the attitude PM me and I will give you some ideas, and some pointers on fur put up.

How do you want me to 'go at it a different way'? Look at my first post on this thread:
I am still a complete greenhorn with trapping yotes and cats. This is my 2nd season now, and my first season trying to handle the pelts for auction. I'm 30+ yotes and 3 bobcats in, and I still haven't a fuzzy idea what I'm doing.

I don't quite understand what the OP was ranting about...

Do you guys mean to say you're not checking your traps everyday? Do the states you trap in not require that?

I have all of mine set to where I can ride my dirt bike in to check them in a timely fashion and do my best to get to them on a daily basis.

I didn't post pictures until you and the other guy jumped to the conclusion that I was an anti-trapper trying to stir the pot on here. I posted the pictures to prove you guys wrong. I'm not sure how I have an 'attitude' when you two are the ones creating drama on here like a couple of school girls. You said you were trapping in the 70's so I imagine you have to be in your 60's. Please start acting your age.

#2637721 - 02/15/14 12:22 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: Cattrax]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

YOur joking Right? You were just accusing him of being an anti trapper and fetching for info, these guys cant win with you, maybe you should head back to Trapperman where you belong, obviously he is trying to learn so back off.

#2637909 - 02/15/14 12:15 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: EJ Reichenbach]
Cattrax Offline

YOur joking Right? You were just accusing him of being an anti trapper and fetching for info, these guys cant win with you, maybe you should head back to Trapperman where you belong, obviously he is trying to learn so back off.

Where I belong, since when did you become the internet police to tell people where they belong?

And someone says he has coyotes ripping their legs off at the shoulder and saying it's because of trap checks? Are you kidding ME?

Looks like I've been here long before you were.

#2637942 - 02/15/14 01:04 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

Lol Cattrax you need a nap old man.

#2637950 - 02/15/14 01:16 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: RuggedExposure]
Cattrax Offline

Long ways from being 60, and I believe you were the one sent a whining PM to myself and Phutch.

#2637956 - 02/15/14 01:26 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: RuggedExposure]
Cattrax Offline

I use to run 30 inches of chain on my traps, no springs, and still never had a coyote tear up its foot unless it was toe caught, but since have went to 6 links off of trap swivel, then another swivel and another 6 links to the end chain swivel, still haven't had one tear up a foot, run 5 dozen MB650s and have never had a toe catch or a tore up foot.

And don't use wire for your cats for sure, and your coyotes would look way better too, also leave more leg fur on the back legs, learn the Nevada stretch and how to use borax on your cats, they look a lot better than you can believe, appearance is huge on getting top prices.

Before and after borax.

#2637961 - 02/15/14 01:34 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

Hey! Something useful finally emerged!
How did you get the diamond shape on the bottom of the cat?

#2637971 - 02/15/14 01:46 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: RuggedExposure]
Cattrax Offline

That is the nevada stretch, won't bring you anymore money as far as fur, but adds a lot to appearance and like I said, that adds a lot to a fur buyer, but you need to get rid of those wire stretchers, they do you no good, and every cat you put up needs to be 36" minimum from nose to base of tail, some won't make it, but those wire stretchers don't help you get the length you need.

#2637975 - 02/15/14 01:51 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: Cattrax]
Cattrax Offline

This is what a normal stretch looks like before I started doing the Nevada style.

#2637976 - 02/15/14 01:54 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

So the legs are tacked close together in the first pics?

#2637978 - 02/15/14 02:00 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: RuggedExposure]
Cattrax Offline

Yes and it gives the belly a long appearance, but they measure the back not the belly.

#2639701 - 02/17/14 10:04 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Cattrax is right about your post. imo there is no reason there should be foot damage like you pictured. There is too thin a jaw, steel flexing, no swivels or stop shocks, this is not normal.
PM allows people to take the Lord's name in vain? that sure supprised me!

Edited by Tactical .20 (02/17/14 10:07 PM)

#2639830 - 02/18/14 01:02 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Dukes do have sharp jaws, seems like you get more foot damage with them than other traps, I laminated all my #3s.

#2639834 - 02/18/14 01:09 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: Cattrax]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Where I belong, since when did you become the internet police to tell people where they belong?

And someone says he has coyotes ripping their legs off at the shoulder and saying it's because of trap checks? Are you kidding ME?

Looks like I've been here long before you were.

I don't care how long you've been on here you haven't supplied a fraction of the information that I have. Just from listening to how long your chain setup is I can tell you don't have a clue about trapping g coyotes. Why on gods green earth would you want all that extra chain so the coyote has that much extra to jerk and build momentum, not to mention more chain means it has a lot better chance of tangling in the trap.

#2639968 - 02/18/14 10:23 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

TOM,

Let's see some pictures of all these coyotes you catch?

#2640048 - 02/18/14 01:06 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

Here is another picture. This is with a MB 650, and the dog was in here over night:

You can see the chain is caught on the baseplate, but there is another swivel at the stakes. How is it that you guys are not getting wrists that look like that after several days?

I have the feeling that the coyotes down here pull and jerk nonstop, hours on end, while northern dogs chill out and conserve energy for periods of time.

#2640092 - 02/18/14 02:18 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Shorten your chain and add a swivel. This is the last time I'm gonna say this. That's why long chains are no good. Trust me. With a short chain that would never happen.

#2640131 - 02/18/14 02:57 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

if the chain is too short then they concentrate on the trap more, I use 20-24" on mine. I saw a pic of twist link chain on here I think that has to be the worse chain for a trap.

#2640137 - 02/18/14 03:02 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: EJ Reichenbach]
Cattrax Offline

These are on 3 days 72 hour checks, not one has a messed up leg, I don't take pictures of the trap usually.

Same set up as you, stock MB650 with stock chain set up.

#2640142 - 02/18/14 03:07 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: Tactical .20]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Huntington, Texas
Quote:
How is it that you guys are not getting wrists that look like that after several days?

Why are you waiting several days to check your traps? Most states have at least a 36 hour check regulation (although Wyoming is 72 hours). New Mexico is every calendar day (24 hours). Arizona is "daily".

Edited by Yellowhammer (02/18/14 03:25 PM)

"No prize is greater than the effort taken to acheive it"

- Aldo Leopold, The Father of Wildlife Management

#2640226 - 02/18/14 04:57 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Montana doesn't have a check time but in hot coyote spots I like to go at least 72 hours.

#2640229 - 02/18/14 05:01 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

I have had traps with long chains that got the chain wrapped around the trap and around there foot, short chain lots of swivels and no problems.

#2640639 - 02/19/14 10:12 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
kash koester Offline

Loc: oklahoma
cattrax that 2nd coyote might be one of the best ones I've ever saw. Nice picture anyways.

#2640685 - 02/19/14 11:20 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tbone-AZ Offline
PM senior

He got that with the use of a board and pins between the legs to close the gap between the legs when it's drying.

Last year was my first year of skinning and selling.. That was a painful lesson.. I watched the video's online and some TV shows.. Bad idea.. I was doing all of the cuts right.. Except the one from the vent to the genitals. I was going down and around the genitals so it looked like a fur bikini on them when i was done.. For those that know better, it's OK I laugh about it now too.

That cost me dearly on the 30 coyotes i sold.
The best lessons i got, was from the buyer. I took my lumps, put aside my pride and rather than argue that my pelts were worth more, I asked the BUYER (the only opinion that counts to me) what he wanted to see. He took about 30 minutes and now that i had done it, I knew and understood what he was talking about and have been following his advice.

As for stretching bobcats, the NAFA site says that the widest point on a cat stretcher is 9" for a larger and 7.5" for the smaller.. But, remember that aside from proper handling and pinning, the money maker is the quality of the fur, coloring, and length. making your pelts wider, will cost you length which costs you money.

http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/NAFA_PeltHandlingManual_2012-02.pdf
http://www.nafa.ca/trapper/Resources/TechManual/NAFA_TechManual_2009_LynxCat.pdf
http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/NAFA-2012-WF-Standard-sizes.pdf

#2640691 - 02/19/14 11:24 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: kash koester]
Tbone-AZ Offline
PM senior

Originally Posted By: kash koester
cattrax that 2nd coyote might be one of the best ones I've ever saw. Nice picture anyways.

I agree.. it's a good looking docile looking dog that looks like its' gonna be a great pelt.

#2641155 - 02/19/14 10:18 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

that 3rd one looks like he needs to die! I got 3 out of 76 this yr with mange, I hate mange! I have never had a chain wrap around a trap, and I have been trapping since 1972, was it a twist link chain?

#2641201 - 02/19/14 11:01 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: Tactical .20]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Originally Posted By: Tactical .20
that 3rd one looks like he needs to die! I got 3 out of 76 this yr with mange, I hate mange! I have never had a chain wrap around a trap, and I have been trapping since 1972, was it a twist link chain?
look at it it's #3 American on a mb650

#2641203 - 02/19/14 11:03 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: RuggedExposure]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Here is another picture. This is with a MB 650, and the dog was in here over night:

You can see the chain is caught on the baseplate, but there is another swivel at the stakes. How is it that you guys are not getting wrists that look like that after several days?

I have the feeling that the coyotes down here pull and jerk nonstop, hours on end, while northern dogs chill out and conserve energy for periods of time.

Trust me our coyotes fight.

#2641452 - 02/20/14 12:13 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

I find on 3 day check some are sleeping if I see them first, same here in IA on one day check, some I think fight it more, like some females are more aggressive when approached, some big males just lay there glaring at you.

#2641718 - 02/20/14 07:17 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: Tactical .20]
Cattrax Offline

Yes that coyote was a nice female, she was pretty laid back for a coyote, makes you wonder if one like that is ever much of a problem to a rancher, but they want them gone none the less.

#2642148 - 02/21/14 11:26 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
phutch30 Offline
Die Hard Member

I GIVE trappers a bad name????! Please! your an idiot. Go post this on trapperman rather than a predator HUNTING forum and see what happens. Ive been in this game trapping and calling for 35 years. Never seen or heard of any foot damage like this and neither has anyone Ive asked about it. Additionally, I would never post something like this on the internet as it only hurts trappers. But hey I just like giving trappers a bad name. Yea what ever.

Edited by phutch30 (02/21/14 11:27 AM)

#2642184 - 02/21/14 12:09 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

oh it was the picture of j rivet opened up, there was twist link chain on that one. The other chain looks good, I got #3 chain for my new drags, but I think #2 would be fine

#2642354 - 02/21/14 04:28 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: phutch30]
Cattrax Offline

I GIVE trappers a bad name????! Please! your an idiot. Go post this on trapperman rather than a predator HUNTING forum and see what happens. Ive been in this game trapping and calling for 35 years.

NO WAY, that would mean you've been doing it longer than one of the guys that is whining has even been alive, and hes an expert!!!

#2642355 - 02/21/14 04:29 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: Tactical .20]
Cattrax Offline

Originally Posted By: Tactical .20
oh it was the picture of j rivet opened up, there was twist link chain on that one. The other chain looks good, I got #3 chain for my new drags, but I think #2 would be fine

Kevin you were right, there was some twin loop chain in that picture, and I agree with your choice on #3 chain, thats the same as I use.

#2642884 - 02/22/14 03:14 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

I like those wolf fangs, but my pipe anchors seem better suited for pounding into frozen ground, I doubled 2 fangs over hitting rocks in frozen ground. I might just build more pipe anchors instead of getting another 100 Wolf Fangs. I went to 37" stakes for a lot of my snares, some ground here is soft enough to push stake in 12-20" by hand! I used my old kill poles to make the first 70 of them, need more made before fall. Then I am going to try and make a tangle pole for open grass snaring.

#2642977 - 02/22/14 06:11 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
M70SWIFT Offline

Loc: Colorado
Will cats' pull out of offset jawed traps?

#2643593 - 02/23/14 05:14 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: M70SWIFT]
Cattrax Offline

Originally Posted By: M70SWIFT
Will cats' pull out of offset jawed traps?

Never lost one in an offset trap, I'm sure if you had it by 1 toe it could, but usually if pan tension is good you will have them good enough to not pull out, and cats don't fight a trap hard like a K9 will.

#2643723 - 02/23/14 08:19 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

before I knew enough to use pan tension, and before I had a license I had one pop out of a 1-3/4 modified nw trap. Saved me from releasing it. I have only used offsets about 30 yrs now, nothing else

#2643836 - 02/23/14 10:22 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
M70SWIFT Offline

Loc: Colorado
Thanks fellas. I've never used one. Not sure if offsets would offer any benefit over those without offset jaws? I've wondered if offsets are used just to satisfy the animal rights scum? But maybe they're used to help disperse the power? Thanks again!

#2645952 - 02/26/14 09:23 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

lamination, I use a 1/4" round rod on the top of the jaw for dispersion of the power and to help on any reduction of problems, I found i had fewer raccoon escapes with offsets when I first expiermented with them in about 1980.

#2668058 - 04/05/14 01:03 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Chick Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Southeast Texas
I thought forums like this were for sharing information and learning. Guess I was wrong? Naw......

#2668318 - 04/05/14 03:46 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

the damage ruggedexposure got is probably due to no laminations and a hard fighter.

#2669172 - 04/07/14 05:42 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Chick Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Southeast Texas
The J Hooks that PIT PANs sells are advertised to be 20% stronger than any other on the market. I have found Ed to be knowledgeable and honest, and I believe him.

#2669631 - 04/07/14 10:43 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

I use the heavy duty j rivets, maybe if you have wolves or cougars you need something heavier, or weld them.

#2678398 - 04/29/14 10:29 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
dan158 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: PA
I use mb550 reg jaws and they all have swivel at base ,3 links of chain ,another swivel, shockspring, another swivel ,3 more links of chain and another swivel. This does not give them any room to put alot of force on the trap. They cant run or jump to get much leverage. I could go without the springs and still feel confident that no damage would occur from a short chain swivel set up.

#2684642 - 05/20/14 01:17 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

short chain, focus is on the trap then, if they move a heavy trap around they get tired and lay down, short chain has a problem with them focusing on the trap,imo

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  AWS 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.