Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2628128 - 02/02/14 11:58 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
bonecollector777 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: AZ
They will all get out of it after this year when since the cat prices are down. Then you won't have to worry about them. I don't think there is a problem if they Ask a question or two but I think some are just lazy. If you just read around on the forums and buy a couple dvds you can get a decent idea of what to do and learn from there.

#2628717 - 02/03/14 07:28 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Wyoming
Originally Posted By: WyYoteKiller
I absolutely am all for new folks, I have had several teenagers shadow me, I actually went thru 4 in one season. Its all fun for a week, then the early mornings and repeated checks turns out to be too much for them and they just quit showing up. The law is every 3 days on footholds and every 7 on snares. I try and check all EVERYDAY, and its alot of miles.
These guys that kill every cat are going to really hurt the seed stock...It is literally the market leading them down the path to OUR ruin. I really yote trap and only set for cat when I know theres a big one around, most of my cat catches are cats checking out a yote set. And I carry welding gloves to turn Females and kittens loose. I have seen, like yourself, while I was checking in a cat a guys showup that traps further down a drainage, off the ranch I was on. I have one cat(600), and he has 4 (12 lbs maybe). The next year he sees me at the bar and ask how my cat season is going, I said it was a tough year....He tells me he hadnt even seen any sign...I was like even though you killed all your kittens last year, you dont have any cats on your ground? I still dont think he understands that the hole in jis foot is from his o

I want to know how your cats far with a frozen foot once your release them, yea letting the ones go that you can is good practice but I just don't see how you can let ever single female and kitten go. Most of the time kittens are in search of a home range so even if you do let them go they very well might never be back.

Edited by EJ Reichenbach (02/03/14 07:29 PM)

#2628731 - 02/03/14 07:44 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Estherville,IA
I started trapping WY for coyotes. I didn't go late enough and buy license till my 4th yr. I did it so I could keep the badgers and the few cats I caught, most I got was 12 in a trip, they averaged 125$ back then.
When I first got my license the # was 19 or 20 and my last one was 289 I think. 10x the non res going to WY.

#2629337 - 02/04/14 03:43 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
sdl Offline
Predator Master

Loc: wv
sounds like somebodys time of the month...

#2629774 - 02/05/14 12:55 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

it would be a waste of money and time to check everyday when you have a 3 day check. The best coyote trappers think 3 days is too often. I would never let a frozen foot cat or canine go. A cat can't survive without both front paws.

#2632216 - 02/07/14 11:00 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: Tactical .20]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

Loc: U.S. / Mexico Border
I am still a complete greenhorn with trapping yotes and cats. This is my 2nd season now, and my first season trying to handle the pelts for auction. I'm 30+ yotes and 3 bobcats in, and I still haven't a fuzzy idea what I'm doing.

I don't quite understand what the OP was ranting about...

Do you guys mean to say you're not checking your traps everyday? Do the states you trap in not require that?

I have all of mine set to where I can ride my dirt bike in to check them in a timely fashion and do my best to get to them on a daily basis.

#2632314 - 02/08/14 06:33 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: EJ Reichenbach]
John S Offline

Loc: S E TX
Originally Posted By: EJ Reichenbach
Originally Posted By: WyYoteKiller
Well I worked hard to learn my lessons amd I share my experience...its all the I"M A CAT TRAPPER, tell me how I get tired of.
I share, I just hate these guys that hear that cats go for $2000 a piece that think they can be trappers with a dozen trap and go for it

Its happening all over Montana and Wyoming, a lot of those types make us look bad. I understand your frustration on this subject, I remember trapping cats in Wyoming when the prices were pretty low, and nobody hardly trapped, yotes were only bringing about 15 bucks cats were about 75 or 100. Now there are trappers everywhere. My Old man started trapping cats in Cody, WY back in the 70's when the fur prices were good and he still talks about all the trappers there were back then. I am sure the prices will fall out eventually and so will the fly by night trappers.
Looks like you have been playing in the snow to much, that is what the forums are about, asking question.

#2632644 - 02/08/14 04:27 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Wyoming is a 3 day check Montana doesn't have a check time. I think Idaho is 3 days I think Nevada is like a 4 day check I think. Around here our cats take forever to come back through so if you check sets everyday your gonna go broke.

#2632725 - 02/08/14 06:27 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: EJ Reichenbach]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

New Mexico regs say the traps have to be checked on a daily basis. Luckily I live in the middle of no where so I trap pretty close to my house and my dirt bike gets great mileage.

It seems if I have a yote in a trap for more than a day I often find a foot or leg left. You guys don't get this occurring a lot with checking the traps every 3 days?

#2632908 - 02/08/14 09:32 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

Never had that happen.

#2633038 - 02/09/14 12:40 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tactical .20 Offline
Die Hard Member III

3 day check, I like it best, 1 day check in IA sucks, 1 out of 3 days or more they don't move. If you have a problem like that it isn't the amount of time. it is a toe catch or something I never had happen. Use 3lbs pan tension, wire screen pan covers, swivels on your chain, and you should have no problems.

#2633050 - 02/09/14 12:53 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

How do those things help prevent the coyote from chewing his leg off?

#2634026 - 02/10/14 10:38 AM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
EJ Reichenbach Offline
Die Hard Member III

I've never had a coyote chew it's leg off, I use 4-5 lbs of pan tension everything I catch is always. Caught deep plus no rabbits or birds

#2634091 - 02/10/14 12:13 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
RuggedExposure Offline
Predator Master

How do you measure pan tension?

#2634107 - 02/10/14 12:41 PM Re: Cat trappin' [Re: TxPigKiller]
Tbone-AZ Offline
PM senior

Loc: AZ, Phoenix
I would imagine that you could put a 3# weight on a rope and lower it on a pan, if it goes off.. You got it, if not, get the files out.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  AWS 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.