Cross Threaded Screw Issue???

I removed the factory scope base off of my Savage mod 11 and when I put the Burris mount on, I cross threaded the screw. I removed it and now, a new clean screw will not go into the hole with ease like the other 3. I have not tried putting the cross threaded screw back in because I don't want to mess things up real bad. My question is, do you think I messed the screw hole up by cross threading a screw in there? Also, is there a way to fix it or clean it up so a new fresh screw will go in with ease? Thanks

Cross threading always causes damage. Depending on how much damage you may need to drill out the old threads and tap new then use a larger screw. If its minor just chasing the threads out will work but they will always be marginal in durability.

Originally Posted By: wisconsinteacherDoes anyone know what size tap to the Savage action uses?

98% of rifles sold in the US use a 6-48 thread for scope mounts. You will not find that size tap at Home Depot. You can either order it from Brownells or Midway, or take it to your local 'smith and have him clean the threads up.

The other 2% of rifles use an 8-40 thread - another one that HD won't carry.

Would it be stupid to retry the bad screw again when I set the rifle up for my final build just to see if it works or would I be better of ordering the tap from Midway and try to clean the treads up and go from there. I guess if I screw things up, I could go with the 8-32 screws.

I don't know how I messed this one up so bad. Grrr.

Yes, don't try the bad screw again. Get a 6-48 bottom tap and try to clean up the hole. Use plenty of oil. If the old screw is too loose then you can open the holes up and get new screws. Because you already have holes there, you should be able to open them up without too much issue. The old hole will center the bit.

I would order both a 6-48 and an 8-40 tap, they are good to have around. A size #31 drill for the 6 and a size #28 drill for the 8. Order some screws too as they are inexpensive and come in handy when you drop one or bugger it up.

Originally Posted By: dubllung4Yes, don't try the bad screw again. Get a 6-48 bottom tap and try to clean up the hole. Use plenty of oil. If the old screw is too loose then you can open the holes up and get new screws. Because you already have holes there, you should be able to open them up without too much issue. The old hole will center the bit.

I would order both a 6-48 and an 8-40 tap, they are good to have around. A size #31 drill for the 6 and a size #28 drill for the 8. Order some screws too as they are inexpensive and come in handy when you drop one or bugger it up.

Follow this advice. The threads might clean up ok. But if not i would drill it out and re tap to 8-40. Post a pic.

Back