Specialties for hunting coyotes in Pennsylvania.

titanium

Hello from PA,
Hunting coyotes east is a little different from hunting them in the west and midwest. The "eastern coyote" is a little bigger and more quiet than those out west.

If there are any hunters that have hunted the "eastern coyote" or hunters that have traveled the country, I am looking for some tips that would help. I have a few videos about hunting in CA and NE, but it seems a little different hunting them in the big hardwoods of Pennsylvania. I could use some tips on just about anything, setups, calling sounds, calling times, howling or no howling, etc... If you hunted these eastern coyote subspecies and changed your tactics a little, I could use your help.

We seem to be losing more deer to coyotes up here.
Thanks!

Rick, PA (titanium) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Titanium,
It will help us if you were more specific; day or night calling, type of terrain, etc.

Rule #1 for these eastern ghosts is to get quite close to the cover you think holds a coyote, and give him some false cover to make his approach. I am yet to pull an eastern into open cover during daylight hours. Also, keep your calling to a minimum. Good luck to you.

The best time to call eastern coyotes is at night
Set up in cover so that you'll blend in with your
surroundings. I prefer calling into fields or
open hardwoods. Mouth calls work better than e-
callers for yotes. I always use howling either to
locate them before calling or to challenge them
after calling. Stay 15-20 minutes.

Thanks guys!
As far as being a little more specific, I will be hunting in hardwoods with a few small fields. The state game commission in PA put fields here and there that are about 100 yards to 200 yards square. They are only for supplemental deer food. Most of the terrain is hardwoods with thick scrub oaks, hemlock swamps and stands of timber. The times I will be hunting are evenings, mornings, and at night with red light. I have seen several sets of male/female coyotes following deer tracks.

Thanks crapshoot for pointing me to a good site.

Hello Titanium;

Here in Indiana I hunt alot of drainage bottoms and small scattered thickets surrounded by open farm ground. I'll locate coyotes by driving ( I'm a rural Deputy Sheriff) and spotting them mousing in harvested corn, or bean stubble fields. I usually know of several locations where coyotes are active so I'll slip in near cover with an open field or steep ditch to my back with the wind in my face and call where the coyotes will have to cross a small open area, no more than 75 to 100 yards across, to get to me. I often see them coming out of the cover and standing looking across the open area before they will finally come fully into the open. When I spot them doing this it usually makes for an easy shot before they commit to the opening.
Many times I'll pick up fresh tracks along field edges and follow them keeping the wind in my face until the tracks lead off to a thicket then I'll find a place like I described above to call from.
Sometimes I'll sneak along in the open wooded areas along creek bottoms and just lean against a tree and call against the wind. I'll move about a 1/4 mile or so between stands and just still hunt as I go. This all seem to work for me.

Good Hunting..Coyote 6974

Back