22-250 vs 243

Originally Posted By: EDP
What is the good and bad from either
You can't argue with the high BC rounds available for the 6mm, you can always sacrifice that for a lighter round and gain more velocity.
A 22-250 is a wicked little cartridge, as of now its been my all time favorite coyote killer, being a fur collector I prefer less damage, which is why I roll with the 250.
Seeing your from TX, and the fur isn't worth as much as it is up here, I'm "assuming" you don't care if you rip and tear?

I have both but prefer the 22-250 for colony varmints and the .243 Win. for coyotes. In fact I have 3 .243's one is a 10 pound monster for open country, and a Feather weight Winchester Compact for normal run of the mill country. The third one I keep so the grandson has a good rifle to kill yotes with(Winchester youth Ranger)

I prefer two bullets for my .243's one , Nosler 80 Grain Ballistic Tips Varmint the other is a Hornady 87 Grain V-MAX. both shoot verry well and do a real number on coyotes.

I wish I knew what bullet Randy Anderson uses in his .243 cause it doesn't seem to cause to much damage to furs.
In one of his DVD's he says that the .243Win. cartridge is his favorite cartridge for coyote hunting. If I am not mistaken he did move up to a .243AI. in a later DVD.
I look at ti this way if it is good enough for Randy it is good enough for me.
thumbup.gif

I shoot a 22-250 for yotes, and I prefer my 30-06 for deer. Buy a 243 if you want something different for both. Good Luck----Riflemann

My .243 shoots pretty decent with 95 VLD hand loads and great with 70 NBT factory loads. Haven't found 87 VLD to try so I'm not sure how those do. But a .243 will do anything a 250 can and then some. My vote goes for .243

Another consideration: I like to see the bullet impact through the scope. Calibers like .223 and 22-250 allow that because the recoil is light. Will the recoil of a 243 make you lose your sight picture? I don't own a 243 myself so I don't know firsthand but it would be something I would want to find out. Maybe others can chime in on this.

My vote also goes to the 243, can't go wrong with the heavier bullet in the wind. I've been shooting the berger 87VLD in my 243 AI, they dont run or spin with this set up.

I own both a .22-250 and a .243 in virtually the same rifle--the Tikka by Sako.

Both are great calibers, but IMO they are not interchangeable when it comes to performance. They both have things that they do that the other cannot replicate.

- The .22-250 shoots flatter with the same weight bullet. Obviously, BC is coming into play here, but it seems to come into play significantly more than I expected and is quite pronounced at distances over 300 yards. Again, might have just been my expectation, but I haven't been able to make the 243 shoot like a .22-250 when it comes to being freaky-flat.

- The key advantage to the .243 is that it's more versatile in terms of heavier bullets. I have a 90 grain Nosler that is just fantastic in the .243, but I can also step down to 50-60 grains with great results. My results with a wide range of bullet weights were so good, that I can't see the point in even trying to push the 250 to do something simlar with 70-80 grain bullets.

- There is significantly more recoil with the .243. How much this matters depends on how much you're shooting, but I will tell you that for me, shooting 100 rounds of .243 at varmints was MORE than enough for me in a given day. By contrast, I don't even think about round count with 22-250. Given that I have two rifles that are almost identical, I don't think there is any debating the fact that in the same gun, recoil will be more with the .243. How much this matters depends on what you intend to use it for, obviously taking a poke or two at a coyote is different from sending hundreds of rounds after p-dogs in a single day.

Grouse

I'm goin to try the 243 I had an opera unity to purchase a VTR I'm going to put it on an axiom stock. (So recoil will be a non issue? Really like this stock and have gotten use to them I have several. Hopefully it will be a shooter I'll post results

Thanks for all the Imput

22-250/243, ? They are both way more than you need for coyotes out to 200 yards. I like my little 22 K-Hornet.

How dead is dead? Both of the guns mentioned are not really fur friendly. If you are just Killin, either one will do the job.

JD

I have a 22 mag
22 hornet
A 204
2. 22/250's
And a 270
Although both my 22/250's shoot well guess I'm just looking for the next greatest thing
Might have to look into that 22/243
smile.gif

6 SLR would be the next greatest thing. That's one reason I just bought my first .243. Intended to keep my .204s and sell my .22-250 since, but... you know how that goes.
wink.gif

Back