22 K Hornet

crazyyote

I am seriously considering a 22 K Hornet rifle for a urban/ suburban coyote rifle. I am thinking of using Calhoon 30gr or 37 gr bullets for it. This should keep me in the 3100 fps range. Suppressing the rifle is probably my best option considering I want it to be as quiet as possible. Have any of you suppressed this caliber and if so am I on the right track with my choice? Who makes a good suppressor at a reasonable price? Thanks to all for your input on this.

Last edited:
I have a Ruger 77/22 hornet that I threaded the barrel and can install my suppressor on. It doesn't sound any different than a suppressed 223 does.

Furhunter,
Thank you for that comparison. I expected the Hornet to be much quieter than a .223 with a suppressor since it uses quite a bit less powder. Maybe I'm on the wrong track here... You've got me thinking. I was hoping for responses like yours.

Last edited:
The can takes the muzzle blast away but like was said above your still left with the sonic crack of the bullet. So it really doesn't matter if its the sonic crack of a 45gr bullet from a hornet or a 55gr bullet from a 223 or a 30gr bullet from a 17/204 it all would take some fancy sound equipment to tell the difference between them.

The real difference would be subsonic ammo. You can use around 4 grains of trail boss powder and a 55gr bullet in a 223 and you can hear the firing pin hit the primer and that's about it. I don't know the performance on coyotes though. I will be testing my 300 Blackout on coyotes when my 30 cal suppressor arrives. I'll be trying some 220gr subsonic ammo. I think the cool factor will be off the charts however a 220gr bullet that slow will hit hard but there won't be a lot of hydrostatic shock with it so I'm expecting some runners.

Furhunter,
It sounds like I should just take my money and order a suppressor for one of my AR rifles. No need spending the money on a new rifle if the suppressor keeps the decibels almost equal. Who's suppressor?? Gemtech, Surefire, etc?

I've got a gemtech for my 22cal can. The one I'm waiting on is a YHM Ti 30 cal.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major manufacturers. They all make a decent can.

If I was to do it again. Would have bought the 30 cal can to start with and shot everything I own thru it. 17's, 20, 22' 6mm's and the 30 cal stuff. One suppressor for everything because once you start shooting it on one rifle....... You want to shoot it on all of them.

Might as well start now. Do the paperwork, send it in and forget about it. Wait times are pushing a year right now.

Last edited:
Back