where to start

powderhogg01

I was lucky enough to watch some dogs run a cat this summer and I am hooked. I have always loved working with dogs, but mostly for upland game. I am curious where one begins the houndsmen process.
I am a 26 year old man, living in colorados high country at the moment, but looking to move somewhere I can homestead. I love black bear meat, and would likely focus my efforts there, but is it possible to have dogs who chase lion and bear?
If any one has recomendations for books to read or resources I am truly keen to learn.

Yes you can hunt both with same hounds. Call Of The Hounds by Del Cameron, great book for cat and bear hunter. He sells hounds but they will cost you.

Take a look at BigGameHoundsmen.com/forums there's great information over there, lots of dogs and equipment for sell, and likely people that are willing to help you out. As far as I'm aware, you can't run dogs on bear in Colorado. Most houndsmen out west usually run lion all winter, and bear when the ground is dry. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I can pass along what I've learned from people who I consider to be some of the best houndsmen and hunters around.

I appreciate the replies. I got addicted to hounds this summer when I was lucky enough to watch a houdsmen run a lion that was taking out dogs near where I live. I did not get to see the whole thing, just the release of the dogs.
I am an old school traditional guy, and hounds just seem to suit my fancy.
thanks for the suggested book and websites, I will be on them soon hopefully.

Back