Best 223 ar hog bullet

mooretitan

Just wondering what you guys are using on hogs. My friend has an ar 223 and I am planning to do a little reloading for him

I believe it is a 1-9 twist. I know it's all about shot placement but hogs are tough and we run into some 350 plus pound hogs. Just trying to do him a favor

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI like 62gr TSX.

Yep, anything ending in TSX. I've also used the Winchester Razorback XT's and they performed well, killed quite a few Texas hogs over 250lbs with a 55gr Barnes TSX.

Chupa

I could never get the TSX to shoot in any AR I own 1-8/ 1-9/ 1-7? so I stick to SMKs 69-77 had some good performance and penetration out to 350 yards on 300lb hogs

Originally Posted By: the impactzoneI could never get the TSX to shoot in any AR I own 1-8/ 1-9/ 1-7? so I stick to SMKs 69-77 had some good performance and penetration out to 350 yards on 300lb hogs

There is no question that I have killed more hogs with the SMK's of various flavors than any other projectile. They always worked, but that TSX is just fierce!

Chupa

Originally Posted By: impactzoneI could never get the TSX to shoot in any AR I own 1-8/ 1-9/ 1-7?

I'll go one step farther than that and say I have never been able to get acceptable groups out of either TSX or TTSX out of any caliber/rifle I've tried and I've tried them in all three twists above in .223, and in 243 WSSM, 300 WM & 338 WM using Barnes book for loading data.

Finally gave it up.

Have head shot a number of hogs w/55 gr. NBT's while predator hunting because that's what was in the rifle. Other than a frontal head shot, all were DRT. When specifically hunting hogs w/223, I have had good results w/60 gr. NP's but still stick w/head shots. Never tried a heart/lung shot w/light rifle; they don't go far w/this placement w/just about any bullet/caliber (save maybe a couple
wink.gif
):

Lots of folks swear by the TSX/TTSX and if you can get them to shoot I'm sure they are great bullets but for a bullet to perform, it has to hit the target and I simply was unable to obtain the accuracy that my rifles produce w/other bullets.

Regards,
hm

Here is a list of bullets that I have on hand

75 gr hornady bthp
60 grain nosler spitzer
60 grain hornady vmax
60 grain hornady spire point
70 grain hevi shot HP

Any suggestion. He is not really demanding outstanding groups but I would like to try and get something around an inch that will drop a hog. Will be aiming for neck shots. There is a chance to take some 400 pounders but there is some nasty brush and don't want to lose one

Any powder bullet combos
Thanks

Not quite a .223, but on the subject of the Barnes TSX.

I'm sure the bullets shoot well in many rifles and not in others, just like any other bullet. Seems some guys get great accuracy with them and others don't.

As for me, the TSX has been a real winner in all three rifles I have tried them in. I shoot 140 gr in my 7mmSTW, and 210 gr. in a .338 Rem. Mag. My son shoots 168 gr. in his .300 Rem Ultra Mag. All are wonderfully accurate and drop game with authority.

Many years ago I tried the original Barnes X bullets in a couple of calibers, specifically .243 and 25-06. I got mediocre accuracy, but good enough for deer and such. When the TSX came out, I was skeptical due to the not-so-good accuracy with the X bullet, but I gave them a try anyway, hoping to find an accurate premium bullet. I found it.

To my surprise, they shot so well that I still almost scratch my head in disbelief. What works for one guy may not for another, and so it goes. You won't know until you try them. But, as for penetration, good luck recovering a bullet.

Here's a target I shot with the TSX and the 7mmSTW, sighting in for a Wyoming hunt. The two shots to the right (top and bottom) were shot first. I then corrected the windage over to the left a bit and shot two more shots, almost a mirror of the first two rounds. Even after adjusting the scope, I still ended up with a 9/16" 4-shot group.

Nice group, Dave. I guess I'm just not holding my mouth right or have a mental block or something. May have to get you, Tim and Chupa to tell me your secret.
lol.gif

Don't know why, but I really wanted to work up a load for my 338 w/the Barnes bullets. It shoots

I have not tried a lot of different bullets in mine. I found a winner early on in the 60 v-max. I use them for predators and hogs and have lost very few animals using them including deer.

Smyrnaboar3-8-13_zps11a1c041.jpg

Smyrnahogs4-16-13_zps19c1a977.jpg

Smyrnaboar4-15-13_zpsaacbf906.jpg

Ivyboar3-12-13_zps8ebef33e.jpg

Ivyhog2-9-13_zps4e9b7dcc.jpg

smyrnaboar9-28-12.jpg

bigsmyrnaboar12_zpscae6e088.jpg

have shot a few hogs with the 60-vmax and head and neck shots works great, did splash on a shoulder on a big boar, now carry a spare mag of SMKs for when I run into hogs while coyote hunting

Quote:You may notice that several of those were shoulder shots as were these.

I did notice that, YH. I have stuck w/head shots on hogs w/55 gr. NBT's w/excellent results. Did take one shoulder shot on a small boar which was DRT but have not tried on larger hogs.

Culled a lot of does w/neck shots w/same bullet.

One word of caution on this and the 60 gr. Sierra SP; they do not work well on frontal head shots. Lost the first hog at about 150 yds trying a head shot w/hog facing me at a 45* angle. He squealed and ran; lost him in heavy brush. Figured it might have been a poor letoff. Next day a 200# or so boar was trotting straight toward me and about to enter my scent cone so I put the crosshairs between his eyes and let fly @ 50 yds. I saw the red splash as the bullet struck him right between the eyes. He let out a squeal and immediately disappeared over the crest of a hill. Trail was easy to follow as he was leaving a lot of blood and ran straight to some heavy brush 300 yards away.

Should have realized that the steep slope of the hog's forehead and some pretty heavy bone would deflect (especially the lighter varmint) bullets.

As to OP's bullet list, I would probably pick the 60 gr. Hornady SP for hogs as the Hornady bullets I have used have all held together pretty well, but YH's experience w/shoulder shots & V Max sounds like they would do the job equally as well.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: claimbusterTim, I'll bet he was a little hard of hearing after that!
smile.gif
Nice pig.

Hello Jim, Yep hearing was a bit of an issue for it.
grin.gif

Thanks

Back