What kind of gloves do you wear when skinning your coyotes

Pack_Wolf

I have not been too happy with my 100 per box of nitrile gloves for anything. They seem to tear easily, before you are finished with anything, you are exposed.
I have looked all over town for just the right glove but haven't come up with anything great. I did buy a couple of pair of gauntlet rubber gloves today from Home depot and Harbour freight. Not the most flexible and not disposable. They are mostly for chemicals. The vets use sterile gloves which are too expensive. There are field dressing gloves also I haven't had any experience with. My hands are Xl so I have trouble with even the XL gloves fitting as they must have small hands in China
Got any secrets?

Pack

regular cotton black jersey gloves. buy the 10 pack for 10$$. change them out with clean ones a couple times a day.

This probably ain't going to go over to good here, BUT, back in the old days (before gloves were invented ha,ha) I skinned hundreds of coyotes bare handed. Cut myself with knife and been cut by jagged bones while skinning the nasty bastards. Kept right on skinnin. Never have had an infection or any other problems.

I'm not telling you not to use gloves or protection. Simply saying I never had any problems not using them.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesThis probably ain't going to go over to good here, BUT, back in the old days (before gloves were invented ha,ha) I skinned hundreds of coyotes bare handed. Cut myself with knife and been cut by jagged bones while skinning the nasty bastards. Kept right on skinnin. Never have had an infection or any other problems.

I'm not telling you not to use gloves or protection. Simply saying I never had any problems not using them.

Ditto,,,,,, only reason I started wearing those sticky gloves was because of arthritis.

According to all the experts I should have been dead a half century ago but so far so good.

Check where you got your nitrile gloves and see if they can get them in a heavier weight.
I have our local feed/farm supply store order mine (I have small hands, a size not stocked). Anyhow, once they got in some heavier weight gloves like the mechanics like to change oil in. I didn't care for them, myself (I didn't like the lack of "feel").
My rambling point is, nitrile gloves come in different weights/thickness.

Wait what? We are supposed to wear gloves to skin yotes? What other critters do I need to wear gloves for? I never wear gloves for anything and I am still here and never been sick.

Well, I thank you for your responses.
I had a skin graft about a year ago on my wrist just below my thumb. They took a 2"x3' chunk of skin to the bone and pulled it though my arm and sealed a hole in my elbow that I had 9 operations on to heal. That is called a reverse flap. I had three of those over the last two years and the others operations were just trying to clean out infection and sew up the 2" hole in the elbow. Nothing worked. Luckily the last operation worked with the large skin graft last October. This thing started in February of 2011.

My interest is in protecting the skin graft. It always scabs up and bleeds a little and heals and repeats the process. It is not quite like an open wound but it is always flaking scabs and weeping and open for the most part.
Many of you have gone through the skinning process without incident and that is good. So have I.
I would not wish what I went through in the last 2 1/2 years with the wound that I had on any body.

Just wondering if I could find some gauntlet gloves that you may be using that might keep me from exposing raw skin.

Thanks for you insight. I'll get by.

Pack

Pack, that sheds a whole new light on things. I give you tons of credit for even wanting to skin a coyote after what you've been through!

Hopefully you find some hand protection that will work for you. Good luck.

I skinned a Wolf once in Alaska and poked my finger while turning the paws, in 4 hours I could not close my hand and lucky for me I was in town and able to get to a Doc who pumped me full of antibiotics.

I don't always wear gloves but try to

For the guys who don't wear gloves-How do you stand to eat a sandwich after skinning a coyote, or worse for me a fox? Seriously, even after a good scrubbing the smell seems to linger.
tongue_smilie.gif

Originally Posted By: huntingalFor the guys who don't wear gloves-How do you stand to eat a sandwich after skinning a coyote, or worse for me a fox? Seriously, even after a good scrubbing the smell seems to linger.
tongue_smilie.gif

Smells like money....
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: huntingalFor the guys who don't wear gloves-How do you stand to eat a sandwich after skinning a coyote, or worse for me a fox? Seriously, even after a good scrubbing the smell seems to linger.
tongue_smilie.gif

I only use one hand to skin as the other has a sandwich in it!!
lol.gif

One trick is to stick cotton up your nose a smoke a cigar when skinning learned that when retrieving Dead Bodys
sick.gif
when I was a Fireman.

Try the auto parts store. Carquest has some called Diamond Grip that are really tough, and can take the abuse. I was tempted by the black ones they have there also, but they weren't nearly as tough!!

Originally Posted By: the impactzoneI skinned a Wolf once in Alaska and poked my finger while turning the paws, in 4 hours I could not close my hand and lucky for me I was in town and able to get to a Doc who pumped me full of antibiotics.

I don't always wear gloves but try to

I'm not sure I see how rubber gloves would stop a sharp knife.
Especially the thin surgical type most folks wear.

Back