Lever Action & Holographic sights?

canislatrans54

If a person wanted to put a "simple" holo sight on a lever action...ON A TIGHT BUDGET...what would be some suggestions?
confused.gif

And for the mounting base as well?
confused.gif

Say...on a Marlin 336.

I would say whatever you can afford will work better than open sights. I have standard weaver rails on my 3 Marlin Levers. Good Luck on whatever you buy.

I have a atn on a shotgun it's held up great, their about $100
not much more that a peep sight you could try one, if you don't like it, it will probably suit you on another gun so it won't be wasted.

I just did this to a coworker's 336. I ordered an XS Sight Systems lever scout mount ($45) and Vortex Sparc ($170 on sale). Substitute in other red dots such as Burris Fastfire, Primary Arms Micro, etc. that is your best bet quality/price-wise. I have the same scout mount on my 336, but with a Leupold scout scope and highly recommend it.

Kyle

The thing with a lot of red dots is they get washed out when it's sunny and bright outside....make sure you try it on a sunny day before you count on it for hunting. I have a low magnification scope on my .35 Remington Marlin lever which works great, I'm also a fan of the Williams peep sights for the 336 that along with the Williams Firesight front sight is tough to beat.

Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1The thing with a lot of red dots is they get washed out when it's sunny and bright outside....make sure you try it on a sunny day before you count on it for hunting. I have a low magnification scope on my .35 Remington Marlin lever which works great, I'm also a fan of the Williams peep sights for the 336 that along with the Williams Firesight front sight is tough to beat.

+2 But, I am old school what is wrong with iron sights.

win94_zps0bb734a3.jpg

willy, that sight is sweet, I'd love to have one of those on my marlin .35 rem.

Will, I was contemplating doin the exact same thing today, thinkin I'd like to take mine calling someday when i'm in some thick stuff.

Nothing wrong with open sights but a lot of people tend to miss with them....when you start rushing and get lined quickly on the animal a lot of shooters have a tendency to lift their heads a bit to see the critter and then don't get proper cheekweld again....that's less of a problem with a low magnification scope or a peep sight since you won't look right over the top of your sights as easily. $.02

The only problem I have with open sights is that I miss more than I hit when I was limited to open sights on my 336 Marlin. I hunted with no scope for the first 10 years (age 12-22) and than I put my first scope on one of my rifles, now they all wear some kind of scope or Red-dot sight.

Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1The thing with a lot of red dots is they get washed out when it's sunny and bright outside....make sure you try it on a sunny day before you count on it for hunting. I have a low magnification scope on my .35 Remington Marlin lever which works great, I'm also a fan of the Williams peep sights for the 336 that along with the Williams Firesight front sight is tough to beat.

I was worried about the same thing. I hunt Arizona, the surface of the sun and it is bright here. So bright in fact that I now suffer from cataracts that my eye doctor believes have been caused by direct sunlight exposure. I tried a Tasco Pro-Point2 AccuDot and had the washout. my problem was that in hunting foxes and bobcats I get them close. I love my Specialized Dynamics .17 Rem Ar-15 for fur, so I opted to take a look at the Burris FastFire2 dot sight. I mounted it on my AR-15 on a 45 deg mount.

Here is a picture of it in broad daylight. i put the arrow on so you could find the dot easier in the pic since it may come up small in the post:

Picture1 by SnowmanMo56, on Flickr

I can tell you that I have NO problem with washout in broad daylight. The Burris has an optical sensor and will adjust it's light level. And for $200 it is easier on the wallet than many other dots.

This fox was taken with the dot at 40 yards:

IMG_2677 by SnowmanMo56, on Flickr

This fox was taken with a 870 Remington, with the Burris on as Speedbead mount. It was shot at 67 yards, at 4pm

Sept13002_zps1c20bfc1 by SnowmanMo56, on Flickr

Back