Is a fixed 4X scope "enough"?

JerryinPA

Good evening gentlemen,

I'm going to buy myself a 223. I will take it for long walks in the woods. I will also use it as my "set-up" rifle in my feeble attempts to terrorize the local coyotes and foxes. I'm going to get a nice light model, with a tapered hunting-duty barrel... not a heavy barrelled varmint model.

I already have a fixed 4X power scope that I like. I currently use it on a big-bore lever gun and it has been very rugged.

My question is whether 4 power is sufficient for a carrying rifle?

No gophers at 500 yards, a shot over 200 yards at a fox or coyote around here would be rare indeed. (Anyway, the 243 Browning with the 3X9 Redfield can go after the open field groundhogs.)

What think ye, gentlemen?

Regards to all,

Jerry.

A fixed 4 power is more than enough and a very good idea that is often overlooked, you get a lighter, brighter and more rugged scope than any variable out there. For a calling gun I just don't need a whole lot of magnification.

I'm for it. I always keep my variable scopes turned to their lowest magnification for the wide field of view. That's normally 2.5X, 3X, or 4X. Once in a great while a scope gets turned to 6X, never more for coyotes. Occasionally a distant crow causes me to ring up more magnification. I probably don't need it, but because the scope has it I feel the need to go ahead and use the higher ends on the rare occasion I have the opportunity for a longer shot at a smaller target. All in all, a good 4X has nothing to be ashamed of and much benefit.

jerry, i think a fixed 4 x power is just fine. i use a 2x7 & its usually set at two or three most of the time. my only problem i have is sighting the gun @ 100 yards i can see the red dot ok, but sometimes wish i could see it a little better. hower the wider f.o.v. is great in a hunting situation i had a nikon fixed four on a old ruger 257 really liked it.

Jerry

I use a fixed 6X on my .222..I like the fixed scope...a 4X would only give you more field of view...Sounds like your ready to get the rifle and you will have a hunting rig.

Scott

If your shots are 100 yds and in it should work well. I like a little more optic myself for better shot placement. I am not confident enough with 4X myself. I like the 4.5'14 variable.

Quote:
Good evening gentlemen, (And Ladies! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

I'm going to get a nice light model, with a tapered hunting-duty barrel... not a heavy barrelled varmint model.

I hunt Missouri with a Remington Model Seven in .223. My hunting situations are much like your's in Pennsylvania. Although I have a 3x9 - 40 on it, I don't think I've ever moved it from 3x while in the field.

me!

FireChick -

If you fish, come join us over at WomenAnglers! Wanda, the Hostess is from Hardy, Arkansas. Many of us hunt as well - including Wanda - and she has just started a section for hunting!

http://womenanglers.us/Bulletin_Board/

(Note that the site is a .us NOT .com!)

Jerry,

Good question...I was thinking of asking the same one myself. I am considering getting a .223 Handi-rifle for coyotes and foxes next fall and was wondering how much scope I would need. My area is mostly wooded hills, so I won't have long shots either. I already have a fair 4X that I could use. Based on everyone's replies to your question, I think I'll try that, and if I need to I can upgrade later.

Thanks to all,

OTR

I'll add one thing here. If I had a limited amount of money to spend on a scope and the choice was a topnotch fixed 4X or a so-so variable for about the same amount - hands down I'd opt for the better quality glass in the 4X. Buy the best glass you can and if that means a fixed power instead of a variable, go fixed and enjoy the quality glass.

I have a 3.5x ACOG on my 16" .223 carbine and do not feel under-scoped. I like to call coyotes and bobcats in close and like the field of view and brilliant optics.

I use a 2.5-10 B&L on my .221 Fireball CZ, and have not yet made a shot at an animal with the magnification above 2.5x.

When I was but a lad, I used to thin-out the ground squirrel population in my area of S. California. I used a Winchester M75 (.22LR) with a Swift 4x on it. With Eley 10-x, I was able to snipe those rodents out to 200 yards with great reliability (and low wind conditions).

Figure the modern 4x scope is far superior to the optics used by civil war snipers, who "made" shots past 1,000 yards. The magnification was only 2x or 3x, generally. (I have an original copy of "Berdan's Sharpshooters in the Army of the Potomic".)

You cannot go wrong with a quality fixed power scope in the range of 2.5, 3x or 4x, for a calling rifle (with typical shots less than 250 yards). That is what I think.

I use a 3x9x40 scope on my 22-250 coyote rig and keep it on 3 all the time..... by the way, I didn't always have this scope on that gun. Started off with a 6x24x50....stuck with that through calling 2 coyotes in. I shot the first one at about 15 yards and the other at about 40.

Yup, now I use a 3x9x40

Jerry a 4x scope will cover 95% of your shots.I use a 3-9 set on 3x, Once in a blue moon I crank mine up higher to try to get a clear shot in the brush.

Another vote for the fixed 6x. I shoot a fixed 6x on all but one of my rifles and have never felt underglassed. The field of view on modern 6x glass like the Weaver K6 (my personal favorite and only $130.00) is large enough to permit shooting at even very close range and the extra 2 power over the 4x is a great advantage on Coyotes size targets at further than 200 yards. ~6mm

NO, anything less than a variable power scope is a waste of money, you need a scope that can change to suit the shot your going to make, no 2 shots are exactly the same, so why bother with a scope that stays exactly the same. Even on my 10/22 I have a 3-9 power scope, a fixed 4x wasn't even good enuff for it. But thats just my opinion, I will never own a scope thats not variable.

t/c223encore.

...90% of my shots on bobcat, coyote, fox, etc. are taken at the lowest power on my variable-power scope.

I do like the option of being able to crank up the power, if the situation allows. I would not feel hindered by a fixed-power scope, though.

----------

Hey, Old tram rambler, what part of the "old tram" do you ramble?? Do you start just South of Boob's Gun Shop, and go East?

The reason I ask, is that here in my area of Mo., there is a road known as "the old tram", running East-West from 19 hwy. to J hwy.

Most likely, if you know where the old tram is, you will know where Boob is located. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I myself like to have a little magnification there if I need it. However, my variables are usually set at 4x. 99% of all gunwriters who have been around a while will tell you the 4x is good for all hunting except long-range varminting or other extremely long-range hunting like sheep or something. You stated you will not be shooting over 200yds. probably, so the 4x should be fine. I believe it was Tom64 that already stated that fixed powers are more rugged and that if you have a variable set on 4x and a fixed 4x, the fixed will look better than the variable.--2MG

Back