12 gauge ammo tests...gelatin & patterning

Originally Posted By: dennydMy best black cloud BBB's patterns come from improved cyl choke, i want to say they start out at 1450fps, i can't imagine a coyote running away to join it's mates after getting a facefull of these.

It's happened to me....range was about 55 yards. Was kinda strange to see his fur take the hit, then have him run across about 800 yards of open field before disappearing into the bush.

In my opinion, steel projectiles are significantly inferior to lead, and not even in the same universe as HD shot.

Brobee

Originally Posted By: BrobeeBiterOriginally Posted By: Mike BThanx for all your effort - I feel like we oughta be contributing to all you guys that work on this stuff and take all the time to post it all - gotta be expensive and very time-consuming.

Question - I didn't catch it even reviewing it again, but what choke were you using this time with the Hornady round?

My 870 police mags have improved cylinder for choke.

For now, I think the best way for anyone to contribute is to simply spread the word around their social networks...if I can build a healthy audience it will greatly enable me to do more next spring/summer/fall. I managed to film about another dozen or so episodes on top of what I've posted so far; I'll be editing them together over the next few months and posting them as I get them done, tut after that I'm likely going to gauge interest to decide if I'm going to keep going.

Cheers, and thanks for watching!

Brobee

Hmmm! That's pretty good patterns at 40 yds for an improved cylinder! Thanx!

Thats a ways out there for steel, if Federal would make t shot with the flite control wad it might worth a look, Les Johnson used to swear by t-shot steel in the days before the FC wad came along.Originally Posted By: BrobeeBiterOriginally Posted By: dennydMy best black cloud BBB's patterns come from improved cyl choke, i want to say they start out at 1450fps, i can't imagine a coyote running away to join it's mates after getting a facefull of these.

It's happened to me....range was about 55 yards. Was kinda strange to see his fur take the hit, then have him run across about 800 yards of open field before disappearing into the bush.

In my opinion, steel projectiles are significantly inferior to lead, and not even in the same universe as HD shot.

Brobee

Last edited:
Since you are cutting open a shell in each test, it would be of interest if you included the actual weight and diameter of the pellets. This would be of particular interest since the SAAMI specifications are nominal + .015" Most buckshot pellets are smaller than nominal.

Just finished editing and uploading another episode, this time a long range review of the Hornady Heavy Magnum Coyote Nickel Plated Lead BB:

Cheers,

Brobee

Back