Buck Vanguard?

Frank44

I am looking at he Cabela's Alaskan Guide Buck Vanguard With the S30V blade, and wood handle. Is there something better out there for the $112? I am sold on the S30V from past experience. It will be used as a hunting knife for field dressing. skinning, and butchering.
Frank

Good choice!
I bought one when they first came out (mid 80's IIRC). Retired my old Estwing at the time and still use the Buck to this day.
There are allot of good choices out there depending on what a guy likes but good ol Buck knives are still hard to beat.

dlr2.jpg

PS,, not to rub it in but I paid less than half that price for mine;) Course, that was then and this is now.

I just received my Vanguard Buck knife from amazon yesterday. It's the one with the rubberized handle. Got it for skinning game. Got the rubber handled one so my hand wouldnt slip if it gets bloods. I like the knife a lot. Made in USA, excellent warranty and customer service. Ran it through my spyderco sharpmaker and put a RAZOR sharp edge on it in no time!! Good knife IMHO.

I have had one since about 1990 and it has been very good. Mine has the rubberized handle and is very comfortable and the blade stays sharp a long time. You will need Diamond stones to sharpen it.I bought all my son in laws one because they're so nice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RamjetYou will need Diamond stones to sharpen it.

"Crystolon" by Norton will sharpen it up well. Much cheaper than buying a diamond stone. Then hone it on a fine India or Arkansas stone, then strop it...........

I bought 4 of the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Vanguards with the Rose wood handle, and S30V Blade, I have other knives with S30V steel. They take a shaving edge, and seem to hold it for ever. I am giving the knives to my 4 grandsons ages 2 months, 2 years, 4 years, and 6 years with their initials, and date engraved on the brass end cap. The knives look fantastic in a display case. If sometime down the road they take up hunting they will have the best knife that their Grandpa gave them for Christmas X number of years ago.
Frank

ive got four of the black rubberhandled vanguards. got one as a gift years ago and after my boys were born i bought three more to pass down. i send them to razorsedge every other year for a touch up and every deer season they get used hard. i love em.!

Back