.223 Benchmark Load

curlyd

I recently bought some hornady 55 gr. spire point w/cannelure bullets. I plan on loading this with benchmark powder. I am also shooting these out of a heavy barreled AR with a 1:9 twist. Wondering if anyone had any good loads they have found with this powder and bullet. Thanks.

Benchmark is the powder that I use most often in the 223 Rem. In general, I've found the most accurate loads, with most any bullet, to be approximately .5 grains under the max listed in the Hodgdon data. It's a great powder, and meters very well.

Every gun is different, so try it out and see what your gun likes best. Just start low, and work your way up safely.

25.2g of BM with 55g Hornady in mine. If I were you, I would start off at 24.0g and go up from there. You are shooting a very accurate bullet, make no mistake about it.

Last edited:
I checked my reloading book and for this bullet they are calling for 21.6 grains for a minimum and 24.5 grains as a maximum. Ill probably start around 22.5 and work up. Dont think its a great idea to shoot loads at the max. thanks for the help though.

25.2g of BM in mine, with all the responses, you just have to experiment. As I hope you are aware, the reloading manual states what was max in their test barrel with their lot# of components...your results may vary greatly.

So, reloading manuals are to be used as a guide and approach max loads with caution.

Last edited:
I had my best luck with the sierra 52gr. Bthp match and 25.4 grains of benchmark.. I have a 1:9 twist rock river that likes 40 grain noslers and 25.5 grains of N-133.

I am shooting AR 20 inch bull barrel 1@8 twist with a 55 gr NBT 24 gr.
and a 60 gr v max 25 gr both benchmark both loads will shoot a 5 shoot group @ a 100 u can cover with a dime. Last yr I filled my doe tag with a 55 gr NBT shot her in the heart dropped in for tracks little over a 100 yds.

Originally Posted By: r15remEvery 223 I've had, liked 25.5 gr benchmark pushing a 50 gr nosler bt.

This has been my load for years. Very accurate!

I shoot LC brass with 26.0g of Benchmark with the 50g sierra, or 26.0g of N135 with the 55g Sierra or nosler in a Remington 700 SpS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: erikc838Originally Posted By: r15remEvery 223 I've had, liked 25.5 gr benchmark pushing a 50 gr nosler bt.

This has been my load for years. Very accurate!

yup 25.5 grains of benchmark with 50 grain bullets is a winner for me too.

I really like BM as well. Bought some TAC a while back because all I could score. My lucky day. 25 gr is working very well with 50gr V-max & blitzkings in my 1x9 rifles.

Back