Anybody use trail cams for coyotes?

Matt Antle

Anybody do this? Got any pics? Or tips?

Found a dead cow yesterday and put up a cam on it, can't wait to see what I got. I heard some loud howling and barking coming from that direction last night and tonight so I should have at least a pic or two. Maybe I can get an idea of what time they're coming in and set up on them.

Never done it but it sounds like it might work. Let us know what you've got. I'm interested in seeing this. Might have to try it for myself.

For sure man. I'll post the pics I get when I check it. I'll probably wait 4 or 5 days.

I've seen some people doing it on other forums and get awesome pictures of cats and coyotes.

Gonna take my nephew out and try to get him a deer for youth season. After I quarter it out and process it I'm gonna take the quarters and tie each one to a log and set a cam on that, plus the guts and everything else. That's how the other pics I've seen were set up. That way they can't drag them off and out of view from the camera.

Hey Matt,
Check out the baiting sticky at the top of the predator hunting page, lots of good info. It may take a month to read it all I'm just on page 70 right now and started last week. Trail cams and bait sites are like soup beans and cornbread. I started a bait site a few weeks ago but haven't put the cam up yet. I'm going to let them get comfortable for now before I put the cam over my spot. Plus I've got buck fever so my cam is preoccupied on deer for now.

I have my trail cameras out for mostly Deer Hunting and I have many Coyote pic's on them too and also use that info to see what Coyotes are running around,the time,temp and Moon Phase and use it to my advantage.I also have several pics of Bobcats on my trail camera also.

It's best to set a trail camera a little lower or set it high and aim it downward to pick up smaller Game like Predators,Bobcats etc...!A Trail Camera with a faster trigger speed is the best,my Cuddeback Capture (white flash) works really well and my newer Moultrie M-880i has a fast trigger speed and very good night time IR capabilities to reach out further and take good pictures!

I know of a few Hunters that field dress and clean/de-bone their Deer up really good and then stake down the Carcass ribs/torso and put a trail camera over it and get some pretty interesting pic's of Bobcats,Coyotes and even of some Awesome Eagles and Hawks!

Last edited:
skypup

has a camera in his back yard hand has several eagles as well as coyote on his hog gut piles

I have a few set on deer trails now and will set them up on cage traps for bobcats to see what I may be doing wrong

That's a good idea on setting them over the traps to see why it didn't catch the animal. Place I have the cam is loaded with coyotes but I've never trapped before and there are quite a few domestic dogs that run around.

I don't think I could live without trail cameras. They tell me what's in the area and basically when.

I prefer video clips to photos. The above photos were extracted from video files. I think videos give a better view of
what's out there and it's reactions, whether it's relaxed or nervous etc. Below are some video clips.

Click on the photos below to see the videos.

As to advice about setting a trail camera, I have found that distance to anticipated target is a factor, as well as angle.
Set the camera at an angle near a trail, not looking straight across the trail. If at a bait site and you want to get some
good close up videos, mount the camera low to the ground, maybe one foot off the ground. That will give you a video
that's up close and personal, as seen more from the animal's view. Also, as previously mentioned, stake or tie a carcas
down so the animal can't drag it off.

I get as much enjoyment from checking my cameras daily as I do actual hunts.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I don't think I could live without trail cameras. They tell me what's in the area and basically when.

Nice photos and videos...I'm definitely envious...

That's awesome man.. Loved the pics and videos, post more if you want. Got a few questions.

You check yours everyday? Do you think leaving scent behind in the area matters?

Do you have a set bait pile and keep putting more bait out or different spots?

Do you get a lot of the same dogs and cats or is it hard to tell?

So I left the camera out for about 4 days. Checked it and didn't have any pictures of coyotes or buzzards or anything. Had one with one eye glowing, probably a cow though it looked big. Was my first time using that camera, the flash was terrible and you could only see a few yards away with it. I'm gonna be sure to use a different camera on my next bait pile.

Trail cams are a great way to keep track of what is visiting and bring a lot of enjoyment during the slack times. Here's a few that I found entertaining.

This one is coyotes eating pears in my yard.

In this one the coyote on the ground was shot about 30 minutes earlier. Then this pair pair showed up and began attacking the one that was already shot. I shot the big male as he tried to kill the one that was already dead.

Since 6MM06 likes cats, I thought I'd throw in a couple myself.

This is one from earlier this year of a coyote eating watermelon rinds.

And perhaps my favorite one. Blackie

I agree with DoubleUp - trail cameras are a lot of joy and just as much fun to keep check on as the actual hunt. Having four coyotes at the site is something I have yet to see. Doubles are all I have had, and not many of those.

Matt Antle, glad you enjoyed the video clips. I am attaching more, but first to answer your questions:

You check yours everyday? Yes, most every day. I live about one mile by country road to my family farm, so it's relatively easy for me to keep check.

Do you think leaving scent behind in the area matters? Generally no, I haven't found that scent seems to matter much. I know that my scent is left at the site, there's no way I can prevent it. Coyotes don't seem concerned once they find the bait. They generally are a bit nervous at first, maybe for a few visits, but then seem to warm up and don't pay any attention. I have had coyotes put their nose up to the trail camera I touched just a few hours before, and showed no concern at all. I have also had a metal stake in the center of the bait site to sometimes tie down larger pieces of bait. The stake had my scent on it and a coyote would smell it, but wasn't alarmed. I have had another coyote or two that seemed to smell something they didn't like. But generally, I haven't found it to be a problem.

Do you have a set bait pile and keep putting more bait out or different spots? I have one bait site that I keep going year around. It stays baited. Rarely does it not have bait, only when something gets it, be it coyotes, possums, skunks, crows etc. I replenish it often. When coyotes show up, I like to leave them small pieces of bait scattered here and there in the grass so that they have to linger around and find it in the grass. That gives me a bit of extra time to get a good shot. I have also tied down a rib cage and a dead calf so that coyotes and bobcats can't drag it off. But, with larger baits like that, you will invite crows and buzzards more.

Do you get a lot of the same dogs and cats or is it hard to tell? Sometimes it's hard to tell, though after a while I can generally determine if it's the same coyote visiting or not. Last season a bobcat visited nightly for almost two weeks, definitely over a week every night, but I think I had two cats coming, but wasn't totally sure. One thing I have noticed, however, is that after shooting a coyote, it seemed that it didn't take long for another one to show up. It's been something over three weeks now, closer to a month since I killed my last coyote, but I haven't seen one since.

Was my first time using that camera, the flash was terrible and you could only see a few yards away with it. I'm gonna be sure to use a different camera on my next bait pile. You are going to find that trail cameras are bitter-sweet. Some do a better job than others, but in my experience, they all give problems at one time or another. I have gone through a lot of cameras over the course of the last three seasons.

Here's a recent cat video. Click on photos to view videos.

Watch this video all the way through. This coyote was a bit nervous.

Another day-time coyote, caught from different angles with two trail cameras.
This coyote appeared to have smelled something he didn't like, maybe my scent.
Not sure. Generally they don't seem to mind. Also, I do wear gloves when distributing bait.

Here are two coyotes that showed up one night. I have two trail cameras set up,
capturing video from different angles. These next two clips show the two camera angles.

Some coyotes pay more attention to the IR light from the trail cameras than others.
Some are skiddish at first, but seem to warm up to the lights.

Skiddish Coyote

More Coyote Videos

I prefer video to photos as I think it gives a better account of what is going on at a site. It also indicates
an animals behavior much better than photos do. Video does eat batteries much quicker, but I am using
optional battery packs for a couple of the cameras, which helps a lot.

I like to place one camera up close and personal, and low to the ground, maby one foot off the ground.
It gets some good close-up videos and effects that way.

Also, I like to have at least two cameras monitoring the bait site. Trail cameras seem to have a mind
of their own sometimes and may not always capture what comes to the site. Having two cameras
generally solves that issue, plus it also gives video of different angles that I sometimes edit up.

Coyotes and bobcats aren't the only ones that's fun to watch.

Click on photos to view videos.

Sometimes it's just plum funny what a trail camera can capture. Even the bear thought this one was funny.

These next three videos demonstrate some reasons why I like a trail camera that gives more than 10 seconds of night-time
video. This black coyote showed up, but the old camera only had 10-second capability, same for the bucks.

This video is a bit better in length.

Currently I have 6 trail cameras and all but one will record 30-second videos (even at night). The other one,
a new Moultrie M880 records 20-second night videos, but can record one minute during the day time.

Back