Colorado Elk hunting

Remingtonman

Im planning on doing an elk hunt next year near in colorado( south of denver) and I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on some decent public hunting spots? My primary focus is to fill the freezer, im not worried about killing a big bull. Any comments would be appreciated thanks guys.

south of denver?

not too many elk in the springs!

maybe try the west slope in 2nd season, over the counter license, if not, usually left over cow tags. elk are everywhere and in my opinion not too hard to find or kill.

Originally Posted By: RemingtonmanCommon guys, im sure there are a few who have alittle bit of info on this. I wont take your hunting spots lol

South of Denver is unit 104 which is pretty good elk unit but it's all private land and the only open hunting would be a ranching for Wildlife tag for the Kiowa Creek Ranch that's the old Bijou Basin Ranch. Right now take 18 points (years) to draw a bull tag and that ranch takes in part of units 105 and 110 which is where I live which is a Plains OTC elk tag,either sex,Sept 1 thru Jan 31. If you could find a ranch to hunt for a bull it cost between $5K/$10K.

Originally Posted By: 6724south of denver?

not too many elk in the springs!

maybe try the west slope in 2nd season, over the counter license, if not, usually left over cow tags. elk are everywhere and in my opinion not too hard to find or kill.

Im just looking for a good place to find a cow elk to fill the freezer. Not really interested in a bull elk

what season do you want to hunt? colorado has alot of different elk seasons to choose from.
I know of a few ranches in north central colorado that do landowner vouchers for cows and a $500 trespass fee.
so for out of stater it would be $350 for cow tag and $500 trespass so looking at about $1000.00 for tag,trespass and hotel.
I hunt national forest for bulls, but when family and friends want to hunt we get together and work a deal with rancher for cow vouchers and usually take about 5 people and ranchers sells us vouchers for $250.00
none of the ranches i deal with offer guiding or room/board. so need to figure in food, motel, gas, ect. but is a great hunt and will see herds of elk from 25-2500...

the longest it has taken us to ever kill on private ranch late season is about 8hrs. so not a real hunt mainly just fun time for some buddies and fill the freezer.

and if want to shoot a bull. I'm not afraid to share my spots just PM me. going to need a good set of Lungs and good boots but I promise atleast a chance at a shot. favorite season for bull is muzzleloader.

Back