.22 mag, HP vs BT

Fox Fire

Kind of curious as to ya'lls opinion about the .22 mag hollow points VS ballistic tips for coyotes, I'm lean'n more tward the hollow points but figured ther mite be some food for thought to be had on here.

Firstly I wouldn't consider the .22 WMR as a first choice for coyote.Secondly,only if I was mandated by law to use rimfire,would I consider the .22 WMR.

Of the two choices that you have offered in your post,neither would be ideal.There are two better choices.The CCI 40 grain Gamepoint #0022 has proven to be a superior performer where deep penetration is desired.Also the Federal 50 grain hollow point #757 has shown superior penetration.

If all you have is the 40 grain hollow point or the ballistic tips [v-max] I would choose the hollow point as the ballistic tips are designed for rapid expansion.

You might also want to test the Remington 40 grain soft point #R22M2 as they have also displayed deeper penetration than hollow points.

Originally Posted By: HornetHunterFirstly I wouldn't consider the .22 WMR as a first choice for coyote. Secondly,only if I was mandated by law to use rimfire,would I consider the .22 WMR.
I have to agree with HornetHunter, on the use of any rimfire for coyotes. Will it kill them? Yes, with good shot placement. That being said, coyotes are not known for giving anyone a good shot. Plus, coyotes are notoriously tough customers to kill...even with some lower powered centerfire rifles.

4 years ago I stepped up from a .223 to a .25-06 and have no regrets.
thumbup1.gif
There's no such thing as overkill. Dead is dead.

Good luck with your choices!
Bowhunter57

I entirely agree with both of in regaurds to a rimfire being to small of a round for coyotes but in TN its mandatory ,a rimfire or shotgun only during deer season, I dont like the thoughts of wounding anything to die a slow death, even a coyote deserves the respect of a quik clean kill.

As far as the amnmo chioces goes the hp & BT is the only thing I have found in teh last 6 months.

The winchester 40 gr HP is probably the best choice. 40 gr cci maxi mag hp is also good. remington also loads a 40 gr HP and it uses the same projectile as the cci.

I have tried about all of the .22 mag bullets and have realized there is but one good load... Winchester 40gr HP
The little fast bullets might look good on paper but when using the win. 40's, groundhogs, beaver and other critters that size never run off. Which I have had happen with other brands of ammo.

living in Tennessee as well I have to use the 22 Magnum during deer season to hunt coyotes. I have settled on the federal 50 grain hollow point as my go to round.my next choice is the Winchester 40 hollow opoin. considering the heavy hardwoods in my area shots are pretty close and I do not feel under gunned with a 22 magnum. I have been using the 22 mag since 1991 for this purpose with good results.

Back