Looking for input on a new semi auto shotgun

BOBTAILS

I am looking at getting a new 12 gauge semi auto shotgun. Wanting to stay around $1000 or less. Any suggestions on brand.

Just shot a new remington versamax this morning gotta say dang nice for the money $749 at sportsmans I believe I was told $50 mail in right now as well. I'm partiall to the benelli but they want a left nut for them!

Originally Posted By: Dogman223Just shot a new remington versamax this morning gotta say dang nice for the money $749 at sportsmans I believe I was told $50 mail in right now as well. I'm partiall to the benelli but they want a left nut for them!

I've never even Seen those. I should have mentioned it must shoot 3 1/2" shells too.

I have handled a couple before today got a good feel but was impressed by the lack of recoil
This one was synthetic I believe 28 vented 3 1/2 ran a couple dryloc 3 1/2 through it was good to go. Buddy bought it for a goose gun like I said was pretty impressed

Originally Posted By: quackaddictIf it didn't have to shoot 3.5"s, the beretta A300 would be the gun for you. Just curious, why do you need to shoot 3.5"s?
If we get a tag we can shoot a swan here in Utah. They are tough to bring down.

Not to be argumentative or anything, but I know for a fact that a 3" 20ga will kill a swan(I personally know people that have done it)so a 1 1/2-2oz load of hevi-shot from a 3" 12ga would kill them very, very easily. In that price range, the Beretta wins by a LONG shot, but is a 3" gun...

Bobtails, I think if you want a 3 1/2" gun you should get one . That said, all of the swans my partner and I have taken have been with 3"guns and heavy goose loads with great success. My swan tag this year will be filled with the same.

Were it me, I'd be finding a good deal on a lightly used Benelli M2 or a good deal on a new one.

Just my $.02

Rob a 3" will bring down a Swan. I did it last year. I know several people that have done it with 3". When I have compared 3" and 3.5" shells, there is not much if any difference.

I'd look for a lightly used Benelli M2 or a Browning Gold. Not to side track you, but compare the ballistics of the 3.5 to the 3". Just use higher density loads when called for. The 3.5" is really only useful if shooting lots of 3.5" steel. a 3" Hevi-Shot or Remington HD shell easily beats 3.5" steel. There are max pressure limits that have to be respected with any loads. FWIW, sorry to digress.

You should really give the Benelli Super Black Eagle II a look.

By far my favorite semi auto and i dont even own one. One day i will though.

Just an awesome feel and look, recoil is unreal too.

FWIW I just picked up a new VersaMax Sportsman, from a local dealer last Saturday. Very pleased so far, handles just like my old 11-87 I've been shooting the last 10 years. I too, like someone mentioned, was happy with the price ( around 800$).

Its a little out of your price range but used would be in the range.

Beretta A400 Unico Xlpor!

I have one and love it! Its a 3 1/2" and just overall awesome.

Bryan

Benelli Montefeltro. I bought mine on Sunday, took it out Monday. The first 4 shots have resulted in 2 rabbits and 2 squirrels. It is super light and points like it was made for me. I love it!

I just read you need 3.5", so in that case, my top 2 picks would be SX3 or Maxus. The browning silver hunter is about the same as the SX3. The Maxus has a magazine cut off that is kind of nice.

Last edited:
Bobtails I just picked up a new Winchester SX3 and its awesome. I don't think for the price you can beat it. You can get the blk for $899 at sportsmans and camo for $999. It is basically a Browning Maxus, but $400 cheaper.

Franchi is making the affinity in 3.5" now. Its called the intensity i think. Its made in teh same plant as the benelli and is essentially the same gun for half the price. I would not get a 3.5 though.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660Franchi is making the affinity in 3.5" now. Its called the intensity i think. Its made in teh same plant as the benelli and is essentially the same gun for half the price. I would not get a 3.5 though.

The Benelli inertia system and the Franchi system ARE NOT the same. Yes, the name and the logo is the same, but the system is very different. That said, if I was going to have a brain-fart and buy an inertia gun, it would be the Franchi.

I got the Franchi Affinity and am very impressed with it. I like it better than my SBE II. Light, recoil is non-existent and points quickly. Best thing is it was less than half of the SBE II. Give it a try!

Back