advice help on scopes

bigcloud

I am just starting hunting coyotes..... I just purchased a Browning x-Bolt 22-250 varmint rifle. I was thinking about putting a Nikon Coyote special 4.5-14 with side focus on it. I now see they are discontinued and the new replacement is a Coyote special 4-12 .. does not have side focus. Both are still out there to purchase.

Why would they change that model?

which one would you recommend?

I hunt mostly in MN. I don't forsee many shots over 250.

Any input would be very appreciated!!

I have used the 4-14x side focus and its a nice scope,i would look for a used one for under $200 . The new 4-12x i have not seen but it may not need a focus at 12 x power

A 3-9X40 would probably do all you need to do, but if you are wanting to go with more magnification why not just stick with the 4-12 minus the side focus. You don't want to be messing with the focus when you have set-up, wind, calling, etc to worry about just starting up.

if you have side focus do you have to dial it in or you'll be off when you shoot...... if you do it just seems like coyote are moving a lot and it may be better to have a scope that set all the time.

For your use you will not see the difference (more than likely) that focusing precisely would provide. Just set it at a given range and leave it. Where you would notice it is on the bench, where you would want to be paralax free to print the best groups.

Last edited:
I like the side focus feature on the Nikons, I would look for a discontinued Coyote or take a look at a Monarch 4-16x40 with the side focus.

Well I ended up ordering the 4x12 fixed...... its working really well, but I do kind of wish I had gotten the 4.5x14 for alittle extra power. I didn't realized that the side focus wouldn't be such a be deal.

Most centrefires are set to be parallax free at 150 yds.....rimfires scopes at 60 yds.

Unless you are shooting paper.......or very close range at very low magnification.......
parallax adjustment make only a small difference......it is very difficult to hold that steady in the field.

Originally Posted By: 1080Most centrefires are set to be parallax free at 150 yds.....rimfires scopes at 60 yds.

Unless you are shooting paper.......or very close range at very low magnification.......
parallax adjustment make only a small difference......it is very difficult to hold that steady in the field.

cf 100
rf 50

Thanks erikc838
Should or used ''some'' rather than ''most''
Leupold use 60 on there rimfire scopes
does seem more cf at 100

maybe we shoot further with our hunting scopes over era
rolleyes.gif

Back