Remington VSF and VSSF Differences

Dsmer4ever

Hello, just wondering if anyone has experience with either of these rifles? I wanted to know if there are any differences between them besides cosmetics and the HS stock on the vssf?
I would like to get one in 220 swift and would like to know if the VSSF is worth the $400 difference for a new rifle?
I know the HS stock is a big improvement over the plastic junk but I can pick one up cheaper than $400.
Thanks
Dan

The VSF I'm talking bout is heavy stainless barrel, fluted in s grey stock that looks like the sps varmint stock. The barrel and action look the same as the vssf2 but no black flutes and polished looking finish.

Originally Posted By: Dsmer4everHello, just wondering if anyone has experience with either of these rifles? I wanted to know if there are any differences between them besides cosmetics and the HS stock on the vssf?
I would like to get one in 220 swift and would like to know if the VSSF is worth the $400 difference for a new rifle?
I know the HS stock is a big improvement over the plastic junk but I can pick one up cheaper than $400.
Thanks
Dan

This is a VSF. It is exactly like a VSSF, same stock (different colors) except it has a blue receiver and barrel.

I do not believe that the VSF was made in .220 Swift.

It was 223, 22-250, and 6mmRemington.

The VSSF was available in .220 Swift. Both rifle were discontinued some years ago.

My VSF was made in Nov 2005.

700VSF-large_zps7fe4cbec.jpg

Originally Posted By: Dsmer4everThe VSF I'm talking bout is heavy stainless barrel, fluted in s grey stock that looks like the sps varmint stock. The barrel and action look the same as the vssf2 but no black flutes and polished looking finish.

The rifle you describe, is not a VSF...

VSF

VSSFII

I own a VSSFII in 220 Swift, My dad has the older VSSF in 220 Swift, and my cousin has the VSF in 220 Swift.

I love the look of the VSSFII flutes however I don't like the large palm swell of the stock. The older VSSF stock is great, and the VSF is the Rem. tupperware and is fine other than it feels somewhat cheap. $400 difference I don't think so. If the VSF was available when I purchased my VSSFII I would have gotten it and replaced the stock with a B&C medalist in tan with black web. They all shoot phenomenal.

Catshooter, technically you are correct what we are refering to as a VSF is actually the Varmint SF I had always referred to it as the VSF and forgot that it isn't called that till I looked up the pics, I learned something today, thanks for that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Daniel P.Yes it is, the VSF is a VSSF minus the stock, it has the Rem. tupperware stock.

Nope !

The new ones with the cheap stock are 700 Varmint SF. They are not listed as 700 VSF. A real VSF has a HS stock.

Daniel P sounds like you know what one I mean, your pics don't work though.
VSF has the less than desirable Remington stock but looks as though it has the barreled action off the VSSF2 minus the black flutes and polished look, has a satin finish.
Local dealer has both the VSF and VSSF2 in 220 swift new. VSF is around $800 and the VSSF2 is a little over $1200.
I know I can get a HS take off stock for around $200.
Just thought I could save a couple hundred by buying the VSF and just upgrade the stock.
I just want a new coyote gun, no real reason. These Remington's and the 220 swift have really caught my eye.

Something to remember about the Remington 220 Swifts. I've seen it discussed figured I would share with all the swift talk tonight.

It has become second nature for me to load this way and do it with all my bolts actions

Don't pass up on a chance to get a Remington VSSF II in .220 Swift. It's a great caliber and they shoot pretty darn good right from the factory. This is the target I was shooting at yesterday. It's hard to read but if you blow the view up you'll see two 5 shot groups under 1/2 inch at 100 yards. These are load developing groups.

I searched long and hard for this gun last year at Christmas and finally found a used one in Omaha, NE. Like Catshooter said, they aren't being produced anymore. The price will only go up as shooters discover how good a rifle they really are.

I looked at the VSF and VSSF a couple years ago, in 2010. The only difference I can remember between the 2 was the VSF had the SPS stock and sold for $950 and some change while the VSSF sold for close to $1140.

The VSSF was hard to find too, at least in this area. Instead of spending $950 for a SPS I bought a Cabelas special edition SPS VS Stainless for $460 and changed the stock and trigger. Only thing I gave up was the fluted barrel.

I believe there were changes to these models which is why everyone seems to be talking about different configurations. I can also remember some of these came ported.

Back