.300 SAUM AR

SteveM

Moderator - Deceased
For the large caliber AR fans, this is a group from a DPMS prototype AR in .300 SAUM. The ammo is Rem's new 190gr Match load. Although I would not want to shoot this thing all day, it is way better than gettin behind a boltgun! LOL!!

MVC-001S.jpg

I have been looking at those for awhile now. Do you have any pictures of the rifle and details. It appears that the MSRP is about 100-150 more.

My list of dumb questions

What about the weight?
How bad is the recoil?
Would you put a brake on it?
What is the fit and finish like?
Does yours have a dust cover and forward assist?

I am getting ready to step up into a bigger caliber in an AR and that seems to be the best one for the money. I want a long range gun, mostly for shooting paper but I also have friends in TX who hunt hogs and shoot pretty good distances. I think that it would be a pretty good pig popper.

Wgt: 12.5 lbs
Recoil: much better than a boltgun.
Brake: not unless you want your ears blowed off!
Fit/Finish: Excellent
Barrerl: 20" heavy fluted

These models are off the .308 upper's and have no dust covers or forward assist.

I have the .308 models and they shoot very well too. Would hold off on this one for a while as mags are the problem for the moment. 10rd .308 mag only holds 3 rds and factory ammo oal is slightly too long. My rifle is a prototype for testing.

Thanks for the info. I will probably go on and get the 308lr and get used to shooting it and maybe I will be able to buy a 300RSAUM upper down the road. Hopefully, they will be reasonably priced.

A 20" barrell sounds convenient but if you are going to shoot the big boy that extra 4" of barrell shouldn't make that much difference.

A 20 or 22" 308LR fluted would be a nice idea though.

thanks again

Unfortunately, the .308's only come in 24, 18, and 16.5 in barrels and they are not fluted. You may be able to get them as an option. I have all 3 versions and they shoot really well! 308 should do all you want to do anyway.

I feel the extra barrel length is needed for the big mags. 4 inches of barrel should yeild another 200 fps with the 190's. We shall see.

Back