I picked up a remington 700 bdl in 264 win mag???? have a few questions

je4bowhuntin

I bought this from a co worker. I have been on him for years and he finally sold it to me. Question 1 out of the factory ammo available. What have people had the best luck with? At $46-60 per box I don't want to try them all! Just need to shoot decent enough for deer while building up brass for reloading.

#2? It has a really old redfield 6x 1" in gloss that is very clear with some scrathes in the finish and a few dings, are theseworth aanything?

#3? It has the old one piece redfield base with the rings similar to leupolds are these worth re-using?

#4? What was the twist on these old guns. Not sure of age but it has a 5 digit serial #

Originally Posted By: je4bowhuntinI bought this from a co worker. I have been on him for years and he finally sold it to me. Question 1 out of the factory ammo available. What have people had the best luck with? At $46-60 per box I don't want to try them all! Just need to shoot decent enough for deer while building up brass for reloading.

#2? It has a really old redfield 6x 1" in gloss that is very clear with some scrathes in the finish and a few dings, are theseworth aanything?

#3? It has the old one piece redfield base with the rings similar to leupolds are these worth re-using?

#4? What was the twist on these old guns. Not sure of age but it has a 5 digit serial #

The 264 WM is on of my favorite cartridges. My Sendero-II is my second 264. The first was a beautiful Winchester Westerner that was so much fun to shoot, that I burned it out just playing with it.

The factory twist is 1:9".

The Redfield scope is nice, but has no value.

The mounts are just "ok" - there are much better mounting systems available these days, so if you ever remove it, toss it and get Weaver cross slot bases and Burris Signature rings.

I wouldn't say "no value" just yet. You would be surprised what that Redfield may bring from the idiots on Fleabay. I see scopes selling on there for FAR more money than I would ever dream of paying.

Nice buy, I like the 264 also.........

Originally Posted By: je4bowhuntinI love the Burris rings. Trying to decide what to scope it with that maintains the old classic look

Just buy the best Leupy you can afford and call it good........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: je4bowhuntinI love the Burris rings. Trying to decide what to scope it with that maintains the old classic look

Just buy the best Leupy you can afford and call it good........

thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: RONINFLAGwish i had a .264. i would put a 4.5-14 or 6.5-20 on it

I have a 6.5-20x44 Nikon Monarch on mine - it is a "varmint" rifle.

as stated some of the older scopes are bringing decent money for them, as far as factory ammo I would look into the HSM or nosler ammo, getting IMO better bullets with those 2 choices. I run a 129sst in my 264 around here for deer and it works them over pretty good.

Back