Your favorite snow camo?

misparkz

I've been using my regular camo with a thin snow camo cover up.
I'd like to invest in a decent set of snow camo. I've been looking at Cabelas Wooltimate Windshear online but it doesn't have any water resistance as far as I can see. Brick and mortar Cabelas here doesn't have any in store to check out.
First priority is warmth and then thin, durable, and at least water resistant would be nice.

What's your favorite snow camo?

I've got the Natural Gear windstopper fleece. Not quite water proof, but close. Warm and comfy, just wish the jacket had more pockets.

Just my two cents worth - I think a lot of different snow patterns work well, depending on where you hunt. In more open country, I think a plain white suit of some sort is great. Around brush, brown grass etc., Nat Gear or Prairie Ghost Camo is good.

If I were to purchase new snow camo, I would look at Cabela's DryPlus. It is insulated and water proof. A bit pricy, but should last a very long time.

I just happen to use Ghost Camo since that's what I have, and use white nylon-type pull over pants with the parka. The Parka is waterproof, and I wear insulated water proof pants underneath the white pants.

Originally Posted By: misparkzI've been using my regular camo with a thin snow camo cover up.
I'd like to invest in a decent set of snow camo. I've been looking at Cabelas Wooltimate Windshear online but it doesn't have any water resistance as far as I can see. Brick and mortar Cabelas here doesn't have any in store to check out.
First priority is warmth and then thin, durable, and at least water resistant would be nice.

What's your favorite snow camo?

Finally, someone is thinking ahead... lets run through this... waterproof is good, IMHO water resistant is better, the material breathes better, while waterproof seals in as much moisture as it wicks away... I've personally had the opportunity to run THE BEST overwhites in the industry, worn by Tier one unites up until a few years ago... Last year we ran a prototype that was being tested by SF units as well, the design was good, but it was too thin of a material, after all what good is a thin overwhite system if it shows your base layers?

Now, I am not sure of the cost, but I KNOW there are very few overwhite suits out there that we would personally run, I have a prototype in my shop, and we should have the finalized product DONE in the next couple weeks, I will be offering here as well as on Snipershide, I'm going to run it hard for a month or two (I'll be posting pics/video while I do so), I'm using a heavy 300D material, treatment for water repellant is applied on both sides of the material, pockets are placed strategically as directed by me, for quick access to hand calls, ammo, gps, range cards, gloves, or any other extra gear that fits, they are also contoured for easy access with minimal body movement... zipper pits to let heat out if need be, and pants have internal gators for use in deeper snow... CAMO will be released later on, BUT it's going to be EFFICIENT... price tag is not yet available, but I'm trying to market this whole suit for under 250.00 I know it sounds high, but this is going to be high end.

I personally would think that it would be better spent to get the green, more common camo with the features that you want.. Then if you really want the good stuff, get the Military over layer snow camo stuff. Then you can wash and dry it easy when it gets dirty.
It's possible to have a cold without snow, so then you are covered.
I actually went to the fabric store and got White cavas duck. It's heavy duty water resistant, and sewed a set of oversized scrubs with zippers on the pant legs and elastic in the waste, and a hood on the top. For a mask I have kings snow hood, which is perfect. For gloves I got a set of Military surplus 3 finger mittens, and hit them with white paint for $10. It's heavy duty and a little tan spray paint gave it the grass look on the legs so it's great when i am sitting.

Prestege 13 pocket coverall, insulated & water proof, cost was $79 shipped on line 3 years ago at Shydas.
I don't like 2 piece outfits as I crawl and lay in the snow.

6mm06, in your second picture the backpack looks about better camo than the white stuff you got on. It makes me think now that I'll just stay with some regular camo, unless I'm in the wide open with real deep snow. Which is hardly ever now with these mild Wisconsin winters we have in my neck of the woods now.

Although skinnys gear sounds like it would be nice to use because of the durability and convenience aspect.

Catskinner,

Yea, in that particular place with those tall brown weeds, my back pack looked pretty good. It all depends on where you hunt. On a hillside full of white stuff, white camo makes more sense, but in that brown weed patch, the back pack camo would work just fine.

Sometimes it's difficult to have just the right or "perfect" camo when you need it, even on the same day from one stand to another. Many times I have dressed for snow (when snow was on the ground practically everywhere) only to find that "the" particular hillside I wanted to call didn't have any snow.

One time I was coming home from work and on the spur of the moment as I passed our family farm, the thought struck me to rush home, get dressed and do some coyote calling. It was pouring the snow, really coming down. The country road was becoming white, and the bank above the road was totally white. So, I rushed home, put on a white camo coverup over top of my insulated clothing, and went back to the farm. When I returned to the farm, the snow had suddenly stopped. When I walked over the hill to the area where I was going to call, expecting to see a very white hillside, I found it had hardly any snow at all, just a little skiff. Basically I stuck out like a sore thumb. But, all was not lost. After probably less than 5 minutes of calling, here came a coyote. It saw me, but I made the shot count.

You can see that I'm whiter than the hillside. Things don't always work out as you want, so you do the best you can.

Snow camo on the same hillside where the above coyote was taken, but on another day.

In this place, my snow camo worked pretty good.

Here the camo was matched perfectly for this particular bobcat hunt.

Another good match of camo.

Probably not the best camo here, the parka is too dark for surrounding. But, coyote on the ground nonetheless.

I think the moral of the story is this - that good camo is desirable, but not always necessary.
Some guys hunt successfully in blue jeans. Still, it pays to match the best you can, but that's
sometimes difficult to do from one stand to the next, depending on where you hunt.

New design, New camo, High quality and performance, get ready for the snow!!!

a34b2b77-d7c5-4143-8682-3a8bda364756_zpsa6dc050e.jpg

We still don't have snow on the ground here at my elevation. Last year by this time we were in full freeze up. But the temps are dropping so that's a start. 15°+ this morning. The biggest problem I encounter with snow camo is its made too small. And its not made for Arctic or sub arctic conditions. It would be awesome if coverup suits were available in 3-6 XL. I have the Natural gear pull over , its good down to the single digits. The Nat gear parka is OK down to 20° below F.
I have a set of Realtree snow cover ups that become totally invisible when I'm near willow, alder and birch thickets. My wife and 2 dogs couldn't see me at 30' in the open where I was sitting with my back against some old willow trees. And I was talking to them out loud. My dog finally tracked me by sent. My wife was almost ready to freak when she finally saw me stand up.
But the set is not big enough to go over my arctic gear.

Skinny; how big will you be making your suits. . That looks like a great suit. If its big enough. Like so it fits over a 3 XL Canada Goose. Resolute , men's parka.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gumboot458Skinny; how big will you be making your suits. . That looks like a great suit. If its big enough. Like so it fits over a 3 XL Canada Goose. Resolute , men's parka.
Sizes will vary, the proto's are made to my contour, which is an "athletic" build, We WILL be making these in 3 sizes I believe, to cater to everyone's build, but I'm going to need to fill a certain quota for these to be a go... I'll be sure and keep you posted.

Back