Your opinions on the DNZ one-piece scope mounts

Originally Posted By: PigeaterThinking of getting a DNZ one piece scope mount but wondering how I can move the scope fore and aft to get the best field of view. If the rings are fixed how's one going ti move the scope ? I got short arms and neck so I need the scope close to my eye.
Thanks for any info

mike

It's just like regular mounts and rings, you move the scope back in the rings to achieve proper eye relief before tightening them up.

Last edited:
I have never lapped any set of rings, and was taught proper tightening and quality rings took priority over lapping, thus why I never have, I suppose.

I kinda see it like the subject of breaking in a barrel... Some swear by it, while others feel like this:

I have a DNZ on a tikka, seems well made, looks good, felt no need to lap. The DNZ one piece "fixed" mount you are referring to is exactly that, fixed. The amount of eye relief adjustment you have is the amount of movement the scope has inside the mount.

If you are extra short as you say, if your rifle will except other styles of rings/mount that offer adjustability as you ask for, go with that style. The DNZ for the tikka offers enough adjustability that it should work if I was shrunk half size...

Originally Posted By: Field MedicWhat is it about the design of these mounts that they don't need to be lapped..?? Must be missing something???

one piece mounts are a lot better about being true and not needing to be lapped like a lot of two piece mounts. Manufacturing standards with the DNZ mounts are pretty good. of the four i have, all of them lined up perfectly and didnt need to be lapped. I did have one that had a slight edge on the base, but some 1k grit took care of that in less than a minute.. it appeared to just be a slight powder coating issue.

Brained
I was simply asking why the DNZ mounts are oblivious to lapping. I'm at a loss regarding the you tube video you provided.

BTW- may want to try and read the posts prior to commenting: I'm not the poster complaining about being " extra short" or asking for any adjustability on said mount.. My comments concerned lapping sir...
Good Day!

Originally Posted By: Field MedicWhat is it about the design of these mounts that they don't need to be lapped..?? Must be missing something???

My response to you was:

Originally Posted By: brainedI have never lapped any set of rings, and was taught proper tightening and quality rings took priority over lapping, thus why I never have, I suppose.

I kinda see it like the subject of breaking in a barrel... Some swear by it, while others feel like this:

I apologize if I didn't directly answer your question...
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: PigeaterThinking of getting a DNZ one piece scope mount but wondering how I can move the scope fore and aft to get the best field of view. If the rings are fixed how's one going ti move the scope ? I got short arms and neck so I need the scope close to my eye.
Thanks for any info

mike

This was in reference to pigeaters question about being shorter and scope adjustability:

Originally Posted By: brained The DNZ one piece "fixed" mount you are referring to is exactly that, fixed. The amount of eye relief adjustment you have is the amount of movement the scope has inside the mount.

If you are extra short as you say, if your rifle will except other styles of rings/mount that offer adjustability as you ask for, go with that style. The DNZ for the tikka offers enough adjustability that it should work if I was shrunk half size...

Originally Posted By: Field MedicBrained
I was simply asking why the DNZ mounts are oblivious to lapping. I'm at a loss regarding the you tube video you provided.

BTW- may want to try and read the posts prior to commenting: I'm not the poster complaining about being " extra short" or asking for any adjustability on said mount.. My comments concerned lapping sir...
Good Day!

The barrel video was an attempt to correlate lapping rings and breaking in a barrel. To me it's very similar, to lap or not, or to follow strict barrel break in or not. I thought it was funny. (sorry you didn't)

I should have said, some people take it very serious while others don't, regarding any mount. I'd bet most people that lap rings, no matter what they heard, will lap a DNZ mount.

It's news to me anyone that laps normally would think a DNZ mount is oblivious to lapping...

I apologize for not separating my response to you from the other posters.

I wasn't inferring you were short buddy....
cry.gif

Good Mornin'

Brained... I guess it is dependant on what camp you are from. Barrel break in versus not . Lapping versus not . My point being the scope makes the same contact with the rings regardless of one piece or two .. A comment was made stating that lapping isn't needed with the DNZ mounts. WHY???Nothing personal .. What is it about a DNZ mount that justifies not lapping...

You stated that you have never lapped a set of rings.. I rest my case...

I didn't say that the DNZ mount was oblivious to lapping. I want to know WHAT makes this mount oblivious to lapping. Lost in translation... For that I apologize... No worries .. I appreciate you point of view ... Just trying to figure it all out ...

Originally Posted By: Field MedicA comment was made stating that lapping isn't needed with the DNZ mounts. WHY??

WHY??????? I don't know...

Originally Posted By: Field MedicI didn't say that the DNZ mount was oblivious to lapping...

I must have read wrong...

You did say,

I suppose I'm missing something too....
grin.gif

I tried to answer your question with a lil experience along with what some might call sarcasm.

However, I'm not sorry you cannot decipher the people I am replying to. You clearly thought I called you short, even though you never mentioned being short outright, your seriousness about the subject says otherwise however. The only one who said anything about being short was pigeater, in which was clearly addressed beforehand:

Thanks for any info

My response was,

Originally Posted By: brained

I have a DNZ on a tikka, seems well made, looks good, felt no need to lap. The DNZ one piece "fixed" mount you are referring to is exactly that, fixed. The amount of eye relief adjustment you have is the amount of movement the scope has inside the mount.

I feel as if I'm talking to a lil kid, do you really need it spelled out like this?

Originally Posted By: Field MedicBrained... I guess it is dependant on what camp you are from. Barrel break in versus not . Lapping versus not .

Thanks for reiterating what I had already said...

Originally Posted By: brained

Yaaaaaaaaaawwwwwn
ohmy.gif

Good day sir.

I never stated you called me short and frankly could care less .... I just find it funny that individuals feel the need to comment and blow topics out of proportion when it involves a process that they self admittedly never preformed !!??? As I stated I believe a few things got lost in the post or your translation of it. There's a big difference between stating " DNZ rings are oblivious to lapping" Vs. stating WHAT is it about these DNZ mounts that people feel that they don't need lapping.. You sir stated you have never preformed the process resulting in never experiencing the results of lapping first hand. Instead you post a you tube video of a Nut trashing a firearm??? Respectfully that type of tirade helps absolutely no one in our sport Sir... Let's just agree to disagree and move along .. Been here done that.

Good Day.....

Back