Tikka t3 feeding issues / tight chamber?

Travis16

Well I purchased a used t3 in 308 not long ago and ever since I got the rifle it never seems to feed smoothly. I have tried multiple factory loads and also try many things with my reloads. They is a "clicking" noise when the bolt is closed and it takes an abnormal amount of pressure to close it. And the Acuraccy is horrible factory rounds are 4-5 inches at 100 yards. My reloads are a bit better but still not near MOA usually there around 3-4 inches. Have tried neck sizing and FL sizing and multiple different loads with same results. I'm just kinda stuck where to go and what to do next with this one? Any ideas are or thoughts apreciated
Travis

I'd say return for a new one.

With factory ammo my t3 is the smoothest feeding action I've owned. It loads and unloads very smooth. Chambering was finicky with the reloads I tried in it, some it liked, some wouldn't chamber. Doubt it was the rifle though.

I'd sure be looking to send it back, that bad of groups and chambering issues....

Don't think this is a common problem with these rifles...

I have a 300 WSM and a 223. They are as smooth as a Sako. Both feed extremely well. You should definitely have a gunsmith look at it. Something's wrong.

Clean the chamber and see what that does. Have you checked the length of the brass? I had weird chambering issues once and figured out the brass was too long.

Originally Posted By: Travis224Clean the chamber and see what that does. Have you checked the length of the brass? I had weird chambering issues once and figured out the brass was too long.

Yep have cleaned the chamber completely. And have even trimmed a peice of brass down way below recommended length and still have the same problem. Probably end up taking it to a gunsmith in the near future.

The clicking noise you mentioned sounds like the extractor snapping over the base of the shell. The difficulty in chambering is the force required to snap the extractor over the base of the shell = defective extractor.

Originally Posted By: PredburnerI have a Savage that if the main lug is to tight rounds do not like to chamber........
I'm not understanding, please explain.

The gun is bad. No Tikka ever shoots that bad and feeds poorly unless the gun is bad. Take it back where you bought it ASAP.

It can't be cases too long if you've tried shooting factory ammo. Cleaning the chamber was a good thing to try, but it didn't work. Everything else involves something being broken or (gulp!) blown out.

Unfortunately, I have my suspicion about what's wrong and it isn't good. Bottom line, try to get your money back if at all possible. I'm hoping you got it from a reputable gun shop and not from a private party sale or gun show.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: roundcallOriginally Posted By: PredburnerI have a Savage that if the main lug is to tight rounds do not like to chamber........

I think he is talking about the action screw.

And I wonder if maybe it's not a smidge to long and binding up the bolt when really cinched down.

If it ain't the smidge to long option, then something is being put in a helleva bind when that screw is tightened. And that ain't good.

Originally Posted By: NitromanThe clicking noise you mentioned sounds like the extractor snapping over the base of the shell. The difficulty in chambering is the force required to snap the extractor over the base of the shell = defective extractor.

This is a pretty good guess^^^^^

Assuming that Tika's are CRF.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: roundcallOriginally Posted By: PredburnerI have a Savage that if the main lug is to tight rounds do not like to chamber........

I think he is talking about the action screw.

And I wonder if maybe it's not a smidge to long and binding up the bolt when really cinched down.

If it ain't the smidge to long option, then something is being put in a helleva bind when that screw is tightened. And that ain't good.

Thats it thanks....!!

Originally Posted By: roundcallOriginally Posted By: getfoxyIIRC tikkas are push feed
Correct

Don't know then but the "click" sure sounds like something to do with the extractor.

What a bunch of unnecessary posts. Tikka's are guaranteed to shoot moa. Send it back to the factory. May take a while, but they will take care of it. I guess I am just lucky. I have had 5 T3's and all of them lived up to the accuracy guarantee.

JD

Back