Savage LRP .243

Originally Posted By: bama1I have the model 10 I referenced above in 243 and the LRP in 260. You should have no problem loading any bullet long. (I don't)
My 243 will shoot bug holes with any grain bullet and powder. I'm not bragging just stating fact.
I tried Sierra 75g hp with IMR 3031using newberry's ocw load of 39 grains. Outstanding!
This gun loves 100g blue box federal ammo so I bought a bunch of it and use the brass to reload 100g sbt Sierra Gamekings. I used IMR 4064 to match speed and they shot great. This is the only load that I use federal brass. ( all others winchester)
I loaded 85g Sierra hpbt with IMR 4350 and they shot great.
VERY little load development needed on this gun. I will say for these loads I have only shot at 100 yards so I can't speak to their grouping down range but I see no reason for them to fall apart.
However, the 260 is a different animal. My best comes with 130g berger. The 140's don't play well in my gun.

Ya I really debated on the LRP which caliber. I have always been interested in the 6.5's because of their high bc and low recoil. But I told myself the next caliber gun I buy will be a .243. Almost every where you go you can get ammo and from what I have experienced they really aren't that picky about what you feed them. Although with the weight of the rifle I think this could be in 300 rum and recoil would probably still not be an issue. My LRP with no rounds comes in at a little over 15 lbs scoped.

No I can't seem to find the large rifle primer arm for my rockchucker and have no other way to prime my rounds. Until then I am just accumulating more bullets and primers. The only primers I have right now are large rifle magnums.

I am dieing to shoot this rifle and see what it's all about. Until then I will just have to play with the new CZ .17 Remington.

I have not fired the rifle yet. I am still waiting on my large primer arm from rcbs. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow 2.5 hrs away. It usually takes 3 to 4 hours at the doctor and I am usually spent. It will probably be this weekend before I can shoot it.

Back