The Bobcat and the Mule

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
One must become efficient if one wants to become lazy.

Like many other predator hunters I have spent countless hours looking for a more efficient way to hunt predators. Whether it is a new gun, caller, decoys hunting new tactics and equipment is almost as addictive as the actual hunt. It has taken me many years and a lot of money but my current techniques seem to be pretty good. I have continued to fine tune it but really haven't made any fundamental changes. Until Saturday. Let me introduce you to my Little Mule.

IMG_20131005_173723_276 by SnowmanMo56, on Flickr

After a lot of research which took several years I decided to pull the trigger on the Mule. Being a diesel guy I went with the diesel since I was looking for a vehicle that can crawl up over rocks. It is a 4 seater, but still fits into my 5X10 utility trailer, so that saved me quite a bit of money. WHile it is not the fastest or the flashiest it is comfortable and does the job.

So with the Mule in the garage, Smooth and I decided to take it out on it's inaugural run. With AzBushman taking Uncle Teddy out, we asked Joe to come along as he is new to predator hunting and just got himself a new shotgun Friday night.

We hooked up the Mule which really didn't take as long as we were worried about. We decided to go into an area that we had called before but where we had seen some trails that we hadn't been able to access before. So up we go. On our first chance we took the mule down a trail that was for hikers, horses, and motorcycles. The narrow rocky trail proved no problem for the Mule. In fact we were over a mile in before I needed to put it in 4wd. Our first two stands were blanks.

We found a small, scraggly trail that sat above a creek canyon that Smooth and I have called before. The trail allowed us to crawl up above and follow the canyon. We went as far as the trail went. We then dropped into the canyon itself. Tracks EVERYWHERE!! Fox, coyote, bobcat even several bear tracks. I asked Smooth if he wanted to go up or stay down in the canyon. He said that we hadn't had any luck down in the canyons so he would go high. I told him to take Joe and that I would stay down in the canyon and try to call the predators out of the adjoining canyon and out across them.

I started the music and about 3 minutes into DSG cottontail I see this cat come sliding down from the top of the canyon. It comes down and stops and sits watching the canyon and the call. At one point I was worried that it had spotted me as it watched me for about 2 minutes. I was patient. I could have taken the shot, would have been about 50-60 yards, but it pays to be patient. Then cat then moves to my right, trying to line itself up with the caller. I kept the call rolling and raised up my shotgun. The cat was moving through some trees when it suddenly stopped. It perked it's head up and turns and runs. I didn't know what spooked it but I knew that it would probably head out the way it came in so I lined up and when the cat broke from the trees I sent the first shot. I was using the last of the Specialized Dynamics 3in #4 buckshot loads that Scott had made up for me. The first round nails the cat in the back as it heads uphill. It flops and jumps around so I sent a second shot. The first probably did the job but it doesn't hurt to play it safe. The cat was down but I couldn't see it so I wasn't sure. I ran into the canyon and I see what spooked the cat, a rancher was checking his cattle and had come down the canyon. He was about 30 yards away as I ran up the canyon. Sure enough the cat was down. The Mule has gotten it's first kill and my first bobcat of the season.

Bobcat and Mule by SnowmanMo56, on Flickr

IMG_2680 by SnowmanMo56, on Flickr

We finished the day calling in another cat, but it spooked and ran before it got within range of Smooth.

All in all a great day. We broke the new equipment juju on the Mule and we now have a whole new world of possibilities that is open to us with the Mule.

Originally Posted By: Arizona BushmanMust have been a special trip since you brought out the REAL shotgun. LOL!

My 20 gauge just needs some more time next to Bloomberg to get some good juju from it.

The greatest feature I can see on the mule, aside from the chance to do more predator hunting, are the two drink holders on the front fenders. Both drink holders have what appear to be full up, icy, Quick Trip 42+ ounce liquid refreshments. That's a killer feature.

Glad you like your mule and I agree on your explanation: we need to find better ways to get the job and fun done. Where I hunt it wouldn't work but if it works for AZ, awesome! Mules are all over the place on ranches in Montana. They just work, cost less to operate, etc. but are tough to run in deep snow. I see them with pretty amazing weed spraying rigs, fencing equipment, welding carts, fire fighting tanks and hoses, feed hauling, etc..

Uncle of mine had a diesel mule man that thing would pull, neighbor got his 3000 ford tractor stuck in a creek bank. 3000 fords ain't real big but weighed a lot more than the little Kawasaki did. We chained up pulled it right out like it was nothing. He didn't like how slow it went and wanted more speed installed a propane kit and ruined the motor in about a year.

Originally Posted By: mt AlThe greatest feature I can see on the mule, aside from the chance to do more predator hunting, are the two drink holders on the front fenders. Both drink holders have what appear to be full up, icy, Quick Trip 42+ ounce liquid refreshments. That's a killer feature.

Glad you like your mule and I agree on your explanation: we need to find better ways to get the job and fun done. Where I hunt it wouldn't work but if it works for AZ, awesome! Mules are all over the place on ranches in Montana. They just work, cost less to operate, etc. but are tough to run in deep snow. I see them with pretty amazing weed spraying rigs, fencing equipment, welding carts, fire fighting tanks and hoses, feed hauling, etc..

There's the eye of a true hunter, Al, able to catch the smallest detail. It was an unforseen highlight to the Mule. But you did notice that we made quick use of them.

You should have seen the looks I got at the dealership today when I brought the sales and service guys the pics and bobcat MEAT. They mentioned Saturday when they found out that I was a hunter that they would like to try some. I told them that when I got the first bobcat they would be the first to get some meat. So true to my word I brought it in. I also included 8X10's of the pics above so they could put them up in the office.

I could see them not working well in the snow. We were also concerned about sand, but we took it up a sandy bottom wash and we didn't even have to put it into 4wd UNTIL we tried to do a 3 point turn around. If the manufacturer's had foresight they would employ one of us to test and advise them on a "Predator Hunting" model, and of course it would have AT LEAST 2 cup holders.

Thanks Al and Leadbelly for your input.

Your mule will come in handy. I have a Ranger EV and in the same amount of time I now get four stands in instead of two when I was walking the farms.

I debated between diesel and electric but went with electric. However, if I were going to use the UTV for anything except hunting I would have gone diesel.

After I mentioned snow I recalled an advertisement for the track wheel things they put on 4 Wheelers and trucks for deep snow. That would work like a charm.

Cool rig, please keep sharing pictures. In Montana you have to get a trapping license and follow tight season and harvest regs for bobcats. I keep seeing more and more so am glad that the FWP manages them and I hope to get one in prime winter condition some day.

Originally Posted By: mt AlAfter I mentioned snow I recalled an advertisement for the track wheel things they put on 4 Wheelers and trucks for deep snow. That would work like a charm.

Yeah, they are only a slim $3000 to $5000 add on.

SnowmanMo has the dough, why do you think they call him Snowman anyways??

Originally Posted By: Arizona Bushman

WFT???
scared.gif
Way too rich for my blood. My boots are cheap and work to get away from the crowds.

Originally Posted By: Arizona BushmanOriginally Posted By: mt AlAfter I mentioned snow I recalled an advertisement for the track wheel things they put on 4 Wheelers and trucks for deep snow. That would work like a charm.

SnowmanMo has the dough, why do you think they call him Snowman anyways??

I am awaiting the restart of the government so that I can get my Obama stimulus check to stimulate the flow of fur.

From one gear junkie to another...nice piece of equipment! My new-to-me Ranger has been a fun and efficient addition to my predator hunting system. It came with a hard cab which seems to contain the engine noise significantly. Man, I wish I could afford the tracks! Maybe next year unless, of course, we get too much snow this winter....
laugh.gif

Carry on, SnowmanMo. Lookin' good!

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMo
I am awaiting the restart of the government so that I can get my Obama stimulus check to stimulate the flow of fur.

Flow of fur? I heard that the Snowman has so much dough, he actually wipes his [beeep] with bobcat hides.

Why else is there bobcat pelts hanging in your bathroom??

Originally Posted By: Arizona BushmanOriginally Posted By: SnowmanMo

Flow of fur? I heard that the Snowman has so much dough, he actually wipes his [beeep] with bobcat hides.

Why else is there bobcat pelts hanging in your bathroom??

Space utilization my friend. In this tough economy we have to use every inch of space efficiently.

Even with tracks they are fairly limited to where they can go. Good luck if you get stuck. You could get two snowmobiles for $5000 (used) and go anywhere you want. A side by side with tracks would still be pretty cool though!

Originally Posted By: rynokronEven with tracks they are fairly limited to where they can go. Good luck if you get stuck. You could get two snowmobiles for $5000 (used) and go anywhere you want. A side by side with tracks would still be pretty cool though!

Next we would have to put a turret on it. The next logical progression in it's evolution to a tank.

Originally Posted By: rynokronEven with tracks they are fairly limited to where they can go. Good luck if you get stuck. You could get two snowmobiles for $5000 (used) and go anywhere you want. A side by side with tracks would still be pretty cool though!

Not to jack the thread... but, I know what you mean, Rynokron. I've looked at the snowmobile option and find a couple of issues... 1) No cab/heat. 2) No place to haul gear/coyotes. (Trailer?) 3) Noise. I'm sure the longevity of the SM is probably better. I think you have to be pretty careful with the tracked UTV or you will have a lot of premature steering component wear. This probably deserves it's own thread.

Sorry about the jack. Carry on, SnowmanMo!

Back