It was a good morning! Video added!

derbyacresbob

I left my house early this morning and went out to some flat country and had to wait for it to get light enough to start calling.

I started out playing Adult Rat sound on my Foxpro CS-24 and I was laying down with my shotgun about 20 yards from the caller.

After about 8 minutes of Adult Rat a coyote came in from my right and it ran by out in front of the CS-24 about 35 yards away. I sat up to shoot the coyote and I couldn't see my shotgun barrel very good. I guess I should have waited another 5 minutes before I started calling.

I did knock the coyote down with the first shot but he was still moving so I shot two more times.
IMG_2058.jpg

http://s148.photobucket.com/user/derbyacresbob/media/Earlycoyote-1.mp4.html
Just above is the link to a video of the first coyote I got with my shotgun. It is not a very good video because it was to dark. The green battery light on my CS-24 is pretty bright. The video camera makes it look darker than it was. The coyote first appears about half way between the green light and the far right side of the video, so look to the right of the green light.

The next stand I made was right were I have been driving by for the last 7 or 8 years. I must have been brain dead or not awake all the other times I have driven through this spot.

I parked my truck in a deep gully and walked about 200 yards to a perfect elevated spot. I was calling towards the rancher's corrals and barn that are out in the middle of nowhere. I laid down prone with my 22-250 and had my CS-24 about 60 yards out in front of me.

I started out playing Prairie Dog Distress and within about 30 seconds I saw a coyote pop up out of a ditch about 500 yards away. This coyote was trotting slowly and stopping for about 5 to 10 seconds and then trotting forward towards the caller again.

I hit my #3 preset button on my remote and that sound is Vole Squeaks on volume 20. The young coyote seemed to like the lower volume high pitch sound and started moving a little faster towards the call but he was still stopping fairly often.

When this coyote stopped for a little to long at about 100 yards out I squeezed the trigger on my 22-250 and the coyote went straight down.
IMG_2071.jpg

My next stand was a blank stand nothing showed up.

The next stand has been a good spot for me over the last 3 or 4 years. I took my rifle and shotgun and was sitting in some big rocks about 30 feet above a big canyon bottom. I had the caller set in the bottom of the canyon about 25 yards from me.The wind was blowing up the canyon so I was set up to call down the canyon.

I started calling with Adult Rat sound and after about 7 or 8 minutes switched to Bay Bee Cottontail. A few minutes later I spotted a coyote coming down a very steep ridge a little to my right. I thought for sure this coyote was going to smell my caller once it disappeared in the canyon bottom down wind from my caller.

It seemed like a long time that the coyote was out of my sight. When the coyote came into view he was only about 40 yards away on the trail that I walked in to this stand on. The coyote got to within 10 ft of the caller and then turned to leave so I shot it with my shotgun at about 20 yards away.
IMG_2081.jpg

I did one last stand and didn't have anything show up. It was a good morning!

Last edited:
Nice day for you!

I went up to kingman on Sat. First stand nothing. 2nd no coyotes but heard a bunch of quail so I walked all the way back to the truck to get my shotgun and on the way back to hunt quail I heard a pack roaming behind me. Started barking at them and got a bark back and then nothing. Next couple spots, nothing....last spot saw one running off in the distance and I headed off to call it in and ended up seeing another a couple hundred yards away just staring at me. Pull on it to take a shot and it took off running. Tried calling it and it just kept running so that was a bust aswell. Not my day.

Thinking of getting an electronic call. I currently use a raspy coaxer and stuffed animal squeaker toy box. still learning to perfect my calling.

I'd say it was a good morning Bob!!! That's gotta be some good times right there! Is that your first time out for this fall? Love to have this time of year getting here again so I can read your posts again. Keep after 'em Bob!

Moderators please remove my nomination for Hunter of The Month for this thread. I didn't realize this story was nominated for Hunt of the Month and I changed it by adding a video to it. Since I made changes to the original thread I don't think it should be in the Hunt of the Month vote.

Thanks

Bob Morris

Back