Fellow Massachusetts hunters

Mark2

Just wanted to see how my fellow massachusets hunters are doing and if you've been seeing any coyotes. I've been seeing a very large all blonde coyote almost every morning about 8 am in one of the fields I hunt. The season is fast approaching
smile.gif

Mark2

I've been chompin at the bit for the season to open up, it's been hard to sleep with all the howling i've been hearing. I've seen a few nice ones and a few small ones on the cameras but all typical colors & one giant that has a broken front leg.

This year more than ever i've been doing my fair share of scouting for new areas but it's still the same old spots that are holding the coyotes, hopefully i'll find a few new areas showing sign before the season starts. I'm not sure how much you've gotten out but its still pretty thick out there, another few weeks should be prime time.

Good luck with that blondie, looking forward to seeing a few pics of it in the next few weeks!

Haven't gotten out scouting much with my new job and stuff but had some nice pics of yotes a few weeks ago I'm hoping to get out soon and find some new spots

Only got out for a couple hours weds AM. Called one in at first light at the Holyoke-Southampton line but couldn't get a shot. I hope to be retired in Jan, that will put some blood on the snow.

Hey!! Down here in Dartmouth/Wesport area. Been getting out a couple of times per week since the end of deer season. Only killed 2 so far, but moving them around. Having a blast. Had two come in on Friday eve, but could not get a kill shot. I'll keep trying...

I e been having some luck lately AFTER the 15-20 min mark. 2 weeks ago we took 1 hung up around 200yds and Saturday right at 20 mins we had 1 come in to edge of a field at 80yds that I took off its feet but never got it. They are coming to the calls but its taking some time for them to respond

I made 7 stands today no luck, once the snow started the wind got kind of tricky. Sat a couple of them into the 30 min mark, also used some vocals. Lots of old sign, lots of deer & turkey sign also. The next 2 storms predicted will make it tough to find a place to park the truck.

I hear ya. If we get as much snow as they are predicting, several of my spots will be snowed out to the point where I cant get Into these spots I can't park on side of road.

We do the best when there is a lot of snow. I feel the lower thickets and wood lots are the best areas when snowed in. That deep snow limits the amount they can travel so the thicker the better. Would you wanna truck up a mountain in deep snow, I know I don't and feel they don't either. Like I said the deeper the better, just throw on the snow shoes to get in and add extra time for them to trudge through the snow to meet their destiny. 10-16 inches this storm and saying potential of a bigger storm Sunday into Monday. Good luck guys

Originally Posted By: masshunterI made 7 stands today no luck, once the snow started the wind got kind of tricky. Sat a couple of them into the 30 min mark, also used some vocals. Lots of old sign, lots of deer & turkey sign also. The next 2 storms predicted will make it tough to find a place to park the truck.

Same. I made 6 stands on saturday in a real good area near the Quabbin and nothin, sure makes for a long day. To top it off I woke up to one howling at 2:30am that next morning at a farm a few houses down from me. I came downstairs to take a leak a few minutes later & he was standing in my backyard with his nose down following a rabbit track, Figures

This snow thats incoming will really change it up so it'l be interesting to see if everyone starts putting more down. Good luck

All this snow should make them hungry. I'll put the snowshoes on these 62 yo legs and give it a go.
By the way, where are you Mass hunters selling your yotes ? My reg guy moved out west a couple years ago, and I haven't found a reliable buyer. I don't have a place to process them, and no stretchers, so I need to sell them in the round for now. The list I got from F&G of fur buyers wasn't much help. Back in the 60's I used to ship my muskrat & coons to a place in Dighton, "Walter Carr trading post" I still have a couple of his catalogs. Any ideas ?

Wish i could help u out masshunter but i havent even got my first 1 yet but when i do its getting whole body mounted and put next to the fireplace (my dog and cat will love me for that). But 2nd coyote on i would like to sell as well so be nice to know who to deal with. I came up with this crazy idea a month or so ago, im laid off from end of nov to middle of april every year (i do paving) and was looking at ways to make money this time of year and was thinking i might give a go at processing my own game and learning taxidermy. I live in brimfield and dont know if u ever heard of the brimfield flea market but i guess its a pretty big deal and people come from all over the world, sometimes celebrities too, to buy junk for the most part but i was thinking i could get a booth set up there and see if i could make a few bucks with some of my furs and mounts....but thats alot of time and work so justt selling the pelts to a fur buyer sounds just as good to me if i can find one....and by find one i mean a fur buyer and coyote

Originally Posted By: masshunterAll this snow should make them hungry. I'll put the snowshoes on these 62 yo legs and give it a go.
By the way, where are you Mass hunters selling your yotes ? My reg guy moved out west a couple years ago, and I haven't found a reliable buyer. I don't have a place to process them, and no stretchers, so I need to sell them in the round for now. The list I got from F&G of fur buyers wasn't much help. Back in the 60's I used to ship my muskrat & coons to a place in Dighton, "Walter Carr trading post" I still have a couple of his catalogs. Any ideas ?

I stopped in at B&G sports in Westfield a few weeks ago and the old timer there mentioned to me he knew a guy that was paying $100/ea for unprepped yote furs locally & that he hadn't gotten many this year. Mite want to stop in there and ask him for more details, I wanted to keep the one that I had on me and I've since gotten it tanned.

Thanks Larue, I'll check it out, most I got before was $50. I did a 30 min stand this morning, pretty cold, but no takers. Just got back from the dentist, so I don't feel so good right now.

Back