Alloy or Lead Shot for coyotes?

bowhunter57

I've recently patterned some Dead Coyote "T" shot with a Carlson .680" that produces a very good pattern at 50 yards. However, I have not had the same success with lead buck shot sizes of 00, 000, 4 buck (in 2 3/4" & 3", 12 gauge) at the same distance.

It would've been nice if I could've had both types of shot to pattern well at the same distance. It may be possible with another choke constriction, but I feel that the alloy shot will penetrate better at the same distances, over or better than lead.

Which type of metal shot do you prefer, alloy or lead, for coyotes?
Your thoughts on both metal types of shot, are welcome.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Depends on how much money you really want to spend.

You want to put them down consistantly at those distances and don't mind spending the $5 a shell, go with the alloy T-shot loads.

You feeling the crunch of the economy and the wonderful President's economic recovery, #4 copper plated works great, you just let them get a little closer.

I find that my Mossberg 500 shoots both very well using the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote choke. I have seen other shotguns that just do not like the buckshot loads.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoDepends on how much money you really want to spend.

You want to put them down consistantly at those distances and don't mind spending the $5 a shell, go with the alloy T-shot loads.

You feeling the crunch of the economy and the wonderful President's economic recovery, #4 copper plated works great, you just let them get a little closer.

I find that my Mossberg 500 shoots both very well using the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote choke. I have seen other shotguns that just do not like the buckshot loads.

#4 copper plated or copper plated number 4 buck shot?

Originally Posted By: GCTungsten...
GC,
What shot size?
What choke tube brand and constriction?
How's your patterns at 50 yards?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Some of the above posters have said #4 plated or 4 buck plated. #4 is a duck load right? What brand has a plated #4 buck?

Ill bet that the factories have info on how their shells pattern in just about every combination of gun, load, barrel, and choke.

Would they care to share?

Like rifle shells, different lots could even shoot different.

It is mind boggling.

Edit: I believe and others do to, that #4 bird shot is not big enough for coyotes. #4 buck is okay. Sometimes people post #4 when they mean #4 buck. Thanks Bob.

Last edited:
About 5 years ago I had to start using lead free shot and bullets on coyotes. I did not like the idea of having to use the lead free bullets and shot.

For coyote shotgun shells I knew I wanted to go with the Tungsten alloy loads because I knew that steel shot did not work as good as lead shot and even though the tungsten alloy shot was more expensive than steel or lead shot I would be shooting better loads at coyotes by using denser than lead tungsten alloy loads.

The tungsten alloy shot is denser and harder than lead shot so it patterns tighter and penetrates deeper than lead shot does. So with the tungsten alloy shot you can use a shot size or two smaller than you would use with lead shot. Many of the tungsten alloy waterfowl loads that were made in sizes #2, B & BB are great coyote loads.

If you want any of the tungsten alloy loads you better buy them if you can find them at a decent price because Hevi-Shot is about the only manufacturer that is still making #2, B and T shot loads in a heavier than lead tungsten alloy load.

http://www.lg-outdoors.com/products.asp?cat=12560

Check out the above link for these Winchester Xtended Range loads. These shells are no longer being made and they are about $20.00 less per box than Hevi-Shot loads are going for now.

Last edited:
I spent a fair amount of $$ and time patterning my shotgun when I got it. The Hevi Shot T in 3" patterned the best. Winchester Xtended range coyote (or goose) B shot was second. The #4 buckshot was third. The Hevi Shot is by far the most expensive, but it worked the best on paper and has proved to have the least amount of runners in the field. Because I'm a slow learner I went out this morning calling with some #4 buck. Hit one twice at about 40-50 yards and it ran off. So my field test lesson for the day was suck it up and go buy some more Hevi Shot. For the longer shots (40-50 yards max) it drops them much better for me.

rynokron,
Hevi-Metal is made by Hevi-Shot and Cabelas sells a box of 25 for $26.99...in 3" 12 gauge and BB size shot. This shot size would pattern well with the chokes that I already own. A box of this ammo is reasonably priced, would produce good patterns and would have good penetration.

Would you agree? What are your thoughts on this ammo for coyotes?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Originally Posted By: bowhunter57rynokron,
Hevi-Metal is made by Hevi-Shot and Cabelas sells a box of 25 for $26.99...in 3" 12 gauge and BB size shot. This shot size would pattern well with the chokes that I already own. A box of this ammo is reasonably priced, would produce good patterns and would have good penetration.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

all the Hevi-shot ive seen only comes in a box of 10

Last edited:
Hevi-Shot also markets steel shotshells and steel/tungsten combination shells. Make sure what you are buying. I think anything coming from them in 25 count boxes and at that price would be a steel load for waterfowl.

Originally Posted By: bowhunter57rynokron,

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Don't buy Hevi-Metal for coyotes it is a steel load with a gimmick added to it.

Hevi-Metal BB loads will have steel BB's in them with some Hevi-Metal pellets in them that are around #4 size pellets. These smaller pellets are not as dense or as heavy as Hevi-Shot pellets are, they are closer to the density of lead.

IMG_7843.jpg

The above picture is the shot out of a Hevi-Metal BBB load. the shinny pellets are steel BBB pellets. The smaller darker pellets that look to be about the size of #2 shot are the Hevi-Metal pellets.

The seads that were inside the wad are used for filler.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: bowhunter57
GC said:
Tungsten...
GC,
What shot size?
What choke tube brand and constriction?
How's your patterns at 50 yards?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Here is a condensed link....

http://www.easterncoyotes.com/home/41?task=view

Big sticky link from the Firearms forum...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=777351&page=1

Take a look at the links GC posted. Advice from GC and another member Rich Cronk saved me alot of trial and error. The penetration tests that derbyacresbob did were also a big help.

Back