Remington model 7 and bedding action

viper

Guys I have a model seven and have shot several different weights and types of ammo out of it. It will group 1-1.5 but nothing like I think it should. I have good scope good rings and a 2.5 timmney trigger in it. I shoot it off a lead sled and can shoot my other rifles easy under sub inch. What would be the next step on this? I know the barrel is thin and prone to heat up so I shoot groups slow. Was wondering about pillars or bedding? The front has a pressure pad where the barrel touches the stock from the factory was unsure about maybe that's the issue? Thanks for any suggestions!

Originally Posted By: viper The front has a pressure pad where the barrel touches the stock

Bingo. Play around with forend tip pressure. Shims, bedding, etc.

M7s usually benefit from some pressure there, but it isn't always "right" from the factory.
I would only free float as a last resort. Shouldn't be necessary, though........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: viper The front has a pressure pad where the barrel touches the stock

Bingo. Play around with forend tip pressure. Shims, bedding, etc.

M7s usually benefit from some pressure there, but it isn't always "right" from the factory.
I would only free float as a last resort. Shouldn't be necessary, though........

This is good advice...

Originally Posted By: viperGuys I have a model seven and have shot several different weights and types of ammo out of it. It will group 1-1.5 but nothing like I think it should. I have good scope good rings and a 2.5 timmney trigger in it. I shoot it off a lead sled and can shoot my other rifles easy under sub inch. What would be the next step on this? I know the barrel is thin and prone to heat up so I shoot groups slow. Was wondering about pillars or bedding? The front has a pressure pad where the barrel touches the stock from the factory was unsure about maybe that's the issue? Thanks for any suggestions!

You didn't say what calibre it is, or anything else. And when you say, "It will group 1-1.5 but nothing like I think it should.", just what do you thing a pencil barreled M-7 should shoot?

The current Winchester M-70 Featherweights are guaranteed to shoot 3 shots in under an inch - and they do!! Their barrels are fully floated.

If you get tired of playing with pressure pads, remove the berrel pressure all together, and have it glass bedded - you will see an improvement.

Pillars - fagetaboutit!!

A M70 FW is nowhere near as thin/light as a M7 pencil barrel.

You could full length bed it, but it isn't necessary, IME.

The only way I would free float it, is if I changed the stock out first, assuming it is tupperware.

Shimming the forend tip is a fast and easy fix. It don't take long or cost anything to do. And it works.

JMO........

If its a wood stock I would pillar bed it, it its synthetic then I would just bed it.
Mine is in a synthetic stock so its just bedded and I removed the front speed bump.

Try this first, before you start cutting on the forend bump.

Remove the action and put a washer between the front screw/bolt and the action. That will move the barrel up and away from the bump in the barrel channel. If the free float barrel shoots better, then you know what to do. After that, bedding the action only, is always a good idea.

Tom

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTTry this first, before you start cutting on the forend bump.

Remove the action and put a washer between the front screw/bolt and the action. That will move the barrel up and away from the bump in the barrel channel. If the free float barrel shoots better, then you know what to do. After that, bedding the action only, is always a good idea.

Tom

That is a piss-poor solution - you float the barrel by floating the whole action, and have it sit on a washer???

Gag!! Gimme a break!

It will have no support, and will be worse than any other solution.

Placing washers or shims under one end of an action only and then tightening it down will put the action in a bind and screw up accuracy. Doing that is like doing the opposite of bedding.

Not a good solution at all.

Last edited:
My 260 Remington was just like yours, so-so accuracy with all bullets. I glass bedded the action and the recoil lug in the Remington synthetic stock. You have to be sure the bumps at the end of the stock and the rest of the stock aren't touching the barrel also. Now right around .500 and sometimes less with best loads.

Originally Posted By: K22Placing washers or shims under one end of an action only and then tightening it down will put the action in a bind and screw up accuracy. Doing that is like doing the opposite of bedding.

Not a good solution at all.

True that^

One thing you can try though is to loosen both action screws, then with the rifle standing verticle to seat the recoil lug rearward, tighten the front screw real tight. Then just snug up the rear screw. If that doesn't improve things try messing with the torque on the rear screw.
If that fails,,, bed the action. I've yet to see a "good" bedding job harm the accuracy of a 700 or M7.

Luck

Yes I too have same problem in my model 7 in 260. Just not knowledgeable enough to mess around with it. I will give it a shot one day

Just got a Mod 7 predator myself, in .223 to have something lighter, and more usable for hunting than the Mod 700 varmint HB .223 that I already had. With my 700 I can routinely get .25"-.35" groups. Best so far with the Mod 7 has been .4" group for three shots. Groups for me, on the Mod 7, tend to open up after about six shots, and somewhat string, unlike my 700 varmint that I can shoot at will and still hold grouping. Also my Mod 7 seems very load sensitive, unlike my Model 700. Another thing is that I cannot even begin to close the bolt on my mod 7 when using a shell loaded for my Mod 700. I was really hoping to be lucky and be able to use the same load for both.
Loads for 700 and Mod 7 are
700- Win748 27.8 gr Nosler 50BT OAL 2.250
Mod 7- Win748 27.4 gr Nosler 50BT OAL 2.245
While my 700 will shoot most anything to almost the same point of impact, on my limited testing with the Mod 7, just a change from spritzer to boattail, moved the group over 4". Also .2 gr change of loading, and my groups really opened up. So for now, a .4" three shot group, is good enough for me to hunt with for the time being, but I will be bedding it when I have time next summer, to try and get a little more uniformity. If yours is a .223, you might want to try my loading, but start at 27 gr as I had high pressure signs at 27.6gr. Accuracy for me in both rifles, has been best at max loads.

I had the same experience a couple months ago with my 220 swift. I load the same load for my Remington VSSF II, my dad's VSSF and my cousin's VSF all shooting .4-.25 inch groups. I purchased a light barrel Ruger 220 Swift and it wouldn't shoot under a 2.5" group with that load (50gr. V Max 35 gr IMR 3031). loaded some 55gr. Sierra BTHP with 37.1gr IMR 4064 and it is about a .75" gun, good enough for calling out to 300yds. It also opens up after 4 rounds but for calling that will do as how often do you get the time to reload? I would love a Mod 7 in 220 Swift shooting as yours does. I am going to start doing some home gunsmithing later this winter and will bed my Ruger when I am comfortable with my skills.

It's a .243 in wood stock and I would be satisfied with solid 1" I don't think that is unrealistic even from a pencil barrel gun and I would think that should be obtainable. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will try the shims and action screws torque first and go from there!

Good idea. Neither will cost you anything but time and a few rounds. You never know.

FWIW I've seen seating the action and torquing the screws help quite a few rifles including a CZ my buddy'd just got back from having our smith put a brand new match grade barrel on. (it even had the Kevlar stock with bedding block) Boy was he relieved LOL.

Another friend has a M7 CDL in 17FB that wouldn't shoot until he bedded and floated it. It now shoots right with my PN barreled FB so worse scenario you might have to go that route but either way I bet she'll eventually come around to your way of thinking.
Keep us posted.

Back