Witt Machine clamp on muzzle brake

Mike W.

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has tried these muzzle brakes or have them on their rifle. I know the preferred method is to have the barrel threaded but due to the lack of funds and a local gunsmith a clamp on is the easiest way for me to go. I'm also wondering about accuracy and so called harmonics. Do muzzle brakes actually have an adverse effect on one or both? I have a Rem 700 308 Tactical with a 20" bull barrel and being 64yos and not having the same fatty arms the recoil is a little to much for me LOL. Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome Mike. I can't answer your question but I have seen these brakes advertised and was curious myself as to quality and function. Hope someone will chime in and let us know.

Well no body has chimed in so far. Maybe by tomorrow although I have had a lot of guys say it will work fine. I might just out of curiosity ask a gunsmith I found how much it would cost to thread my barrel and attach a screw on one.

Muzzle brakes do change barrel harmonics,I do not use a clamp on brake but my screw-on brake can be adjusted and it will shrink or open the group depending on what you do.It WILL make a lot more noise when fired without ear plugs so beware.

Ugly as [beeep], but they might work. I prefer a clean, threaded install, myself. My grand daddy always said, "always start out with what you want to end up with". That way you don't end up with a $90.00 clamp on brake in a drawer after you break down and have it done right. JMHO

Originally Posted By: CAFRUgly as [beeep], but they might work. I prefer a clean, threaded install, myself. My grand daddy always said, "always start out with what you want to end up with". That way you don't end up with a $90.00 clamp on brake in a drawer after you break down and have it done right. JMHO

I agree with your logic, however, Witt appears to make them to fit your barrel profile. My impression is that most screw on brakes are oriented toward thicker profile barrels. Could well be wrong in my thought. Don

I have screw on brakes on several slender profile barrels.

_wsb_937x272_M98_Custom_308.2.jpg

_wsb_893x280_788_Rem_Tactical_Sniper_308.5.jpg

Both of these rifles are in .308 Win and have the felt recoil of a .223 or less, as well as no muzzle rise. Accuracy actually improved with the recoil reduction. Of course, both are bedded and free floated, so harmonics are mitigated to the point of being negligible. Both have 3.5 lb triggers and produce 3/8" groups at 100 yds. I have a Mauser M96 American with a pencil barrel in .300WM on which I installed a brake and turned it to barrel diameter. Being a 6lb rifle, it was brutal to shoot before the brake was installed. Now it feels like a 243 and you can see hair fly through the scope. Can't beat that.

I think we are reasonably priced on brake installs and have many happy customers using them. We line bore screw on brakes to .020" over bullet diameter to make the brake as efficient as possible without having any bullet strikes. The larger you bore, the less effective the brake is. Anything over .040" can make the brake nearly useless. Concentricity to the bore is vital. I don't know how these kinds of tolerances can be achieved with a clamp on. If anyone out there has used one, I'd like to hear about it, as well.

Last edited:
I prefer a screw on (Solid Bottomed) brake for field work.
A brake with holes all the way around it is effective, but will kick up a lot of dirt, sand, etc., every time it is fired if you are in the prone position.
I don't like myself, my gun, or my optic being covered up in junk.
They can follow the lines of the barrel nicely or be larger.
In other words, you can have it your way
smile.gif

This is a larger screw on brake (Holland Radial) on 308 with 168's using a very light hold. Shooting at 775 yards.

Below is a MAC brake (Just outside of Gillette, WY). It follows the lines of the barrel. 6.5x47 Lapua with a 130 grain Berger. Again, being shot with a very light hold.
It is the rifle in the middle. you can also see how little the 308 recoils again as well. The XP-100 is a 7mm Short Action Ultra Mag, shooting 162 A-Max's (Holland Radial brake)

If you have any other questions on brakes, let me know.

Several folks politely informed me (and I mean that, I'm not being snide or bitchy at all) that muzzle brakes are available for slender profile barrels. I am aware that brakes that conform to a slender profile barrel do exist and that gunsmiths can fit others.

My remark was related to the multitude of AR oriented brakes which seem, for the most part to be machined for specific threads/diameters.

Several nice examples in the posted pictures. Don

New update. Have one of their muzzle brakes coming to test and evaluate. Once I get it installed and tested I'll post a reply as to how I feel about it and if it actually works on my Tactical 308. Provided it's permitted here.

Look forward to the review.
Sure it is permitted here. We are always looking for down to earth reviews and perspectives.
Originally Posted By: Mike W.New update. Have one of their muzzle brakes coming to test and evaluate. Once I get it installed and tested I'll post a reply as to how I feel about it and if it actually works on my Tactical 308. Provided it's permitted here.

Finally got my muzzle brake after about 3 weeks but I knew upfront that it would take awhile to get especially after talking to the company owner, Ken, what their machining process entailed. I’ll try to keep this short but thorough and if possible upload some pictures. If I’m unable to upload them e-mail me at directly at winnen_m@yahoo.com tell me what you want and I’ll e-mail them to you.

Although I haven’t actually seen or held other muzzle brakes I found the machining and finish are excellent and smooth. I opted for the Cerakote coating which I’m very please I did because there finish is also excellent. When fitting the brake to my barrel I followed their instructions and although tight it was easily to attach. I was very surprised to see that the brake looks like it’s part of the barrel and seems to line up with the rifles bore perfectly.

Testing firing: although I wasn’t able to get the scope on target during each shot I do believe that the felt recoil was reduced by at least 50% which is what I was looking for. There are a couple of advantages I believe are worth mentioning. 1) the ability to remove the clamp on IF someone wanted to, which I won’t and 2) if you’re on a fixed income and budget like I am, the cost is about ½ that of having your barrel threaded, buying a screw on and then having a gunsmith fit it. All in all I’m VERY satisfied with the machining, finish, fit and reduced felt recoil and will definitely keep it.

Last edited:
CAFR said:
Ugly as [beeep], but they might work. I prefer a clean, threaded install, myself. My grand daddy always said, "always start out with what you want to end up with". That way you don't end up with a $90.00 clamp on brake in a drawer after you break down and have it done right. JMHO [/quote

Your grand daddy was a smart man

Back