Who makes the lightest weight Ar-10??

cmmg mk3 #38A20FB, (18") is 7lb 12 ozs straight from the box without the mag. Removing the top rail from the hand guard takes off another 4 ozs.

My last cmmg mk3 came in at 9 lbs scoped and loaded 10rd mag. Arp when he gets around to making more will have 16" 5r 308 barrels that weigh in at 1 lb 14 ozs.

I have an arp 308 light weight. Love the weight but makes it a little whippy in the front. Sig I agree with you a nice light weight 243 would be awesome. H gets 6mm barrels maybe we can convince ARP to do a group buy on 243 win barrels?

Armalite makes the lightest AR10. In fact, only Armalite can make AR10s as it owns AR10 as a trademark. Ok, enough smart-assery.

I threw a Smith and Wesson M&P-10 chambered for 308 equipped with Magpul furniture on a scale
DSC_0018_zps353172cd.jpg

and came up with the following:

Without optic, mag or sling- 8 lbs, 3 oz

With Leupold Mk 4 10x and a sling- 10 lbs 8 oz. Adding a fully loaded 20 round PMag brought the weight up to 12 lbs
DSC_0022_zps800b3b39.jpg

With Nightforce 2.5x10x32 and sling- 10 lbs 5.3 oz. A fully loaded 20 round PMag brought the weight up to 11 lbs 14 oz
DSC_0024_zps7559c666.jpg

Compare to an unloaded 16" 5.56 AR with an Aimpoint Micro and weapon light- 7lbs
DSC_0019_zps6e67bfe3.jpg

These are actual weights measured on a digital scale

Smith and Wesson really did their homework on this light weight 308 MP10.
here's some phone quality pics in the field.
With no Magazine , no bipod, As pictured with the V6 2-12 Scope installed it weighs 8# 4oz. Shoots less than MOA w/180gr GS Speers.
Sorry my chopter's in the shop.

another pic before the krylon and wearing the Sandstorm.
And yes I changed out the handguard to a FF DPMS Carbon Fiber and replaced the S&W WART of a gas block to a low pro block.

Last edited:
I have an AR-10 16" Carbine that weighs just under 8lbs without optics. I put a 3-9X40 Scope on it for target shooting and it weighs in at slightly above 8.5lbs empty. Now add a 20rd Pmag loaded with ammo and i'm sure it's near 9lbs.

Accuracy with this set up is under an inch with 5 shots even with cheap 147gr fmj American Eagle ammo. I have shot .75" groups with handloads.

Originally Posted By: The Duke.308 16" barrel..

The older I get the less weight I want in my walking / stalking gun. haha
Does it have to be a "10"? Maybe next spring we will have some "12s" in 308 to start. I think mine weighs right at 7lbs with a Troy Extreme rail, and MP ACS stock but no optics.

I will be happy with that arp 16" "light" barrel when they start showing up.
I am curious how much whip it really has, bet the 6.8 style arp vortex flash hider would help there.

Originally Posted By: bluealteredI will be happy with that arp 16" "light" barrel when they start showing up.
I am curious how much whip it really has, bet the 6.8 style arp vortex flash hider would help there.
With the little "Shorty" brake they are pretty accurate until you heat them up. 5/8-3/4" for 10-20 shots which is plenty for hunting. They work well for guys shooting heavy metal division 3 gun or a combat type barrel. If you hang a big heavy brake on the end it can effect the accuracy.
The deep hole drillers are killing me with the delays on the 6.5 and 308s.

I'm looking for lightweight 308 AR with a light weight stainless barrel. (I'm a sucker for stainless and fluting). So my question to you guys is....Is there a factory built 308 AR with a lightweight stainless 18 or 20 inch barrel. Or would I be better off the get a cmmg mk3 and then have it fluted. I can find them with stainless barrels all day long but none with the lightweight stainless barrels. Also needs to use pmags because that's what my other large frame AR uses.

Back