Storming WWII Memorial is a Piece of Cake Compared to Normandy!

hm1996

Staff member
Quote:'Greatest generation' veterans sweep past barricades at memorial in their honor

By Edmund DeMarche /
Published October 01, 2013 / FoxNews.com

WW II veteran Ted Bellon, 87, broke down in tears when asked if he was upset he had to see the WWII Memorial from behind a fence.

With bagpipers playing "Amazing Grace," nearly 200 veterans from Mississippi and Iowa swept past barricades and security guards at the World War II Memorial in Washington in order to keep a commitment to visit the site, which was closed today due to the partial government shutdown. The veterans, in their 80s and 90s, were accompanied by Rep. Steven Palazzo, R-Miss., a former Marine who earlier vowed not to let the National Park Police keep them from a planned visit to the open-air monument.

"Well, I would have been so down-and-out if I got all the way up here and wasn't able to get in," Navy veteran Oscar Leroy Russell, 90, who is blind after he suffered a stroke, told FoxNews.com.

"I’m not going to enforce the 'no stopping or standing' sign for a group of 90 World War II veterans. I’m a veteran myself.”
- U.S. Park Police officer

Some veterans on hand wiped away tears when they saw a crowd waving the American flag as they came out of their bus.

"These men and women didn't cower to the Japanese and Germans," Palazzo said. "I don't think they're about to let a few National Park Police stand in their way."

Palazzo, who was joined by several other members of Congress, moved the barricades at the memorial and police did not try to stop the veterans' access.

"I’m not going to enforce the 'no stopping or standing' sign for a group of 90 World War II veterans," a U.S. Park Police officer, who declined to give his name, told The Washington Post. “I’m a veteran myself.”

The veterans are traveling as part of Honor Flight, a program that enables World War II veterans to partake in an expense-paid trip to view the memorial. Tuesday's trip is the second-to-last flight, with the last scheduled for November. But prior to their arrival early Tuesday, there was fear that the government shutdown and federal worker furloughs would mean no access to the monuments on the National Mall.

But with lawmakers leading the charge, the American military heroes, some in wheelchairs, surged into the memorial.

"It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission," Palazzo said. “We lined the veterans up along the blockade, we saw an opening and we took it."

Joe Cleveland, of Union, Miss., told The Mississippi Press that he would "be thinking about the many battles that have been fought and thanking all those who were willing to go fight for our country."

Palazzo noted his grandfather, Manuel McCarty, served in World War II at Guadalcanal and Okinawa. Palazzo was 7 years old when his grandfather died and said he sees his grandfather in these veterans.

"I only have a couple of memories of my grandfather," said Palazzo, who has taken part of Honor Flights before. "But each time I see these men, I envision how he'd be."

Congressman Bill Huizenga, of Michigan, told GulfLive.com that "this is the best civil disobedience we've seen in Washington in a while."

Regards,
hm

Update

Congressman Lou Gohmert was just on Fox news and was one of the other congressmen who helped the vets storm the gates.

He said, "It's just a sidewalk! What are they going to do, drape Mt. Rushmore?"

The second wave of vets is due to arrive in the next few minutes and Rep. Gohmert was on his way to insure their entry once more.

Looking forward to see if they meet with any resistance this time.

Regards,
hm

I think we're going to see more and more civil disobedience of this nature. The people are simply fed up with government as a whole. Especially the idiot in charge.

Go ahead Obummer, call out the Marines from 8th and I and arm them. Be interesting what direction they start shooting!
tt2.gif

What this government doesn't seem to understand is these national parks and memorials do not belong to the government. The people own these. The government is suposed to work for us, not the other way around.

Quote:What this government doesn't seem to understand is these national parks and memorials do not belong to the government. The people own these....So True...In fact, many of the memorials were built on private donations and while maintained by the National Park Service, usually very little government monies went into their design and structure...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleQuote:What this government doesn't seem to understand is these national parks and memorials do not belong to the government. The people own these....So True...In fact, many of the memorials were built on private donations and while maintained by the National Park Service, usually very little government monies went into their design and structure...

Then we the people, need to start opening them back up, and telling the Democrats and Barack Obama to go pound sand!

The GOP has the Democrats up against the wall on this one from what I understand. They have allowed all of this to be shut down and are writing item by item funding measures allowing the Democrats to deny consideration of each expenditure individually. In that manner, the Democrats don't get to hang themselves once, but are instead allowed the option of hanging themselves before the publics' eye over and over and over and over and over. Every time they refuse to fund anything, and someone screams about it, the press has a new twist to point out that it is actually the Democrats that are the problem.

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Every time they refuse to fund anything, and someone screams about it, the press has a new twist to point out that it is actually the Democrats that are the problem.

That would all have been well and good 15-20 years ago, Rocky. Unfortunately, 1) the MSM media will spin the story making the nasty old Republicans the bad guys. and 2) The public is so damm stupid they just don't get it.

Afraid it's a case of "Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed." Unbelievable!

Sorry, rant off.

Regards,
hm

Back