Sound to Locate Coyotes

Matt Antle

Night hunting just became legal in KY so i need to know what sounds to use to locate them, then get close enough to set up. By the sounds of them most nights it shouldnt be more than 200 yards from the house.

I have a Flextone Echo E Caller, here's the lis of calls on it.

ryfkOPh.jpg

What call(s) would you recommend i use to locate them?

Also, which of the Coyote calls would you recommend I use if the distress calls arent working (daytime & night)?

A few years ago, I picked up a small hand held siren (pic below)...It's battery operated and easy to transport, but puts out a lot of sound that seems to agitate all dogs...A pack of Coyotes, if in the area, will really start to sound off...Great for locating, but not for calling...

If I'm doing a location run, I pull down on a gravel road, shut off the vehicle and sit for a couple of minuets and then fire it up...We can't hunt after sunset with artificial lighting, so locating is it's only purpose...

My only advice is that if you are planning to use it in the middle of the night in an area that has any degree of human population, call your local sheriff's office to; 1) let them know what you are doing, and 2) be sure you are not violating any laws regarding it's use...No sense in looking for permissions if there are not Coyotes in the area....

I put a standard Sharpie in front of it when taking the photo so you can see a relative size...

Originally Posted By: Matt AntleNight hunting just became legal in KY so i need to know what sounds to use to locate them, then get close enough to set up. By the sounds of them most nights it shouldnt be more than 200 yards from the house.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying. But when you say "By the sounds of them", it sounds to me like you already know where they are(have em located). Why do you want to relocate them?

If you don't know what you're doing with the coyote vocals I would not use them at all. Good old rabbit distress this time of year will work as good as anything for the actual calling of them to you.

Good luck and be aware of rabid chupacabras out there at night!

Thinking about adding a train whistle sound to my shockwave...just kidding. In all seriousness though I have a train in my area that comes though every few hours at night and following each toot of its horn you'll hear a group of coyotes responding from the woods in my area probably 1 mile or more from the tracks. Its amazing how they will respond 95% of the time to the train whistle, however I've noticed they only respond after dark. Now every time I hear the train come by I make sure to tune in and listen for the howls.

Kind of funny the other night a different train came through than normal and it had a real high pitched short horn opposed to the real bassey long tone horn the bigger trains usually have. Right after the first toot I was listening for the customary howl response and instead heard a real long "yippppppppppp" followed by a few barks. It didn't shut up for 5-7 minutes and it kept repeating this response. This was at 3am & it sounded like the yote stepped in a foot hold trap it was so loud. Also, it was only that one coyote that was barking where its usually a whole pack howling back. I thought that was interesting, I think he took offense to that particular train whistle haha.

Anyhow, I plan on putting an end to this howling once the season opens October 19th just figured i'd share.

Anyone else experience this in their area?

I use a siren on my Fury to locate them within a mile or so depemding on wind. They will sound off most of the time. This really seems to help on setting up.

Could you tell me where to find the Kentucky nighthunting rules, can't find it. I make it down to western Kentucky a few times a year and always see Bobcats and Coyotes.

Do you have any links that show that it is legal and what the limits are.

I thought about calling KFW today and even saved my number because I seen a post on a Kentucky predator hunter facebook.

I can't find anything that says when it starts, but I tell you what I am uber excited about it....

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: Matt AntleNight hunting just became legal in KY so i need to know what sounds to use to locate them, then get close enough to set up. By the sounds of them most nights it shouldnt be more than 200 yards from the house.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying. But when you say "By the sounds of them", it sounds to me like you already know where they are(have em located). Why do you want to relocate them?

If you don't know what you're doing with the coyote vocals I would not use them at all. Good old rabbit distress this time of year will work as good as anything for the actual calling of them to you.

Good luck and be aware of rabid chupacabras out there at night!

Man I wish that were the case. Every time in busy and can't hunt they'll be howling like crazy, usually in the same spot so I shouldn't have a problem locating them in this spot or not, just going in and calling would probably work. We'll see.

I'll try to get ahold of a siren or rig up a speaker and okay it from my phone. I'm mainly just trying to figure out what to use in different locations to locate them with the e caller.

From that list of calls which one would you use to try and locate?

Originally Posted By: KYHILLBILLYDo you have any links that show that it is legal and what the limits are.

I thought about calling KFW today and even saved my number because I seen a post on a Kentucky predator hunter facebook.

I can't find anything that says when it starts, but I tell you what I am uber excited about it....

Here it is,

Hunting and Trapping Seasons and Limits for Furbearers
Hunting Coyotes at Night
New Changes to 301 KAR 2:251
Recently proposed changes to Kentucky’s furbearer hunting regulations now make it LEGAL to hunt coyotes at night. Below in red are the new laws that apply to the hunting of coyotes after daylight hours.
1. Coyotes may be hunted year-round after daylight hours.
2. There are designated times when lights or night-vision may be used:
- Lights or night-vision equipment may be used Feb 1 – May 31.
- Allows hunting when it will be most effective; from Feb-May there is less prey available and calls are very effective during mating season.
- Hunters can be more effective during this time; increased visual range as vegetation is minimal.
- Removes concerns associated with illegal harvest of deer when antlers are present.
- Temperatures and weather conditions are more favorable for hunters during this time.
- Lights and night-vision may not be used: June 1 – January 31.
3. Artificial lights and night-vision equipment shall not be connected to or cast from a mechanized vehicle.
- Minimizes potential for persons to hunt from a moving vehicle, which is illegal.
4. Weapon and ammunition restrictions.
- Only shotguns may be used.
- Minimizes human safety concerns by decreasing effective range of misplaced shots.
- Use of single projectiles is prohibited.
- Slugs are prohibited in attempt to prevent the illegal harvest of deer.
Note- KRS 150.360 mandates that no wildlife, except deer, shall be taken with any shotgun capable of holding more than 3 shells. In short- any person hunting coyotes must use a shotgun and that firearm may hold no more than 3 shells.

Locating Coyotes.....set up quietly in an area and either run a barking/howling sequence and see where the Coyotes are when they answer You back!I like the following Sounds You listed.

Coyote Adult Female Howl
Coyote Pup Distress
Coyote Barks
Coyote Young Group Howl
Coyote Pup single Howl
Coyote Pup submissive

Trust Me....You sit out in the late evening and into the night and call,the Coyotes will be answering You or simply sounding off from where they are grouping up and getting ready to do their night hunting...You could also just sit quietly and listen to where they are!

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys.

Decided I'd step outside and mess around with the csll. Hit the Male Communicative waited a minute or two then played the Male Rally Call. I wasn't expecting anything to happen but as soon as that call stopped a big loud howl came from the tree line about 75 yards from my front porch. Sounded just like the Male Communicative sound I had just played.

Decided to see if I could locate some more so I took off walking and got about 400 yards from the house and played the same calls. Had 3 sound off in different directions around me, really close too. Waited a whole then played the same and heard even more. Shined the light and there stood one at about 100 yards.

Tried the Hunting Whines call and while it was playing I heard some, stopped the call and had a group about 100 yards away making an almost identical sound as the call. Waited a while then shined again and caught a glimpse of a pair of eyes along the edge of the field.

Thought that was pretty cool. Ready for season to open so I can really set up on them and smoke a few with the spotlight and 12 gauge. Any night hunters got any tips? How often do you shine your light?

Gonna get out in the morning and try a few stands if it's not to foggy. Went this morning and could only see about 10 yards in front of me up until about 9am, tried to start calling then but my call was dead. I'll let y'all know if I get one.

Originally Posted By: KYHILLBILLYThats the same thing I seen.

So it is in effect right now, just no lights?

If it is that is freakin awesome...

Sure is. The next full moon I'll be set up on them for sure.

Originally Posted By: Matt Antle

Sure is. The next full moon I'll be set up on them for sure.

Sounds like you have quite a few coyotes around your place. Which is good for a guy that likes to hunt/call em!

Originally Posted By: Matt AntleThanks for the responses guys.

Decided I'd step outside and mess around with the csll. Hit the Male Communicative waited a minute or two then played the Male Rally Call. I wasn't expecting anything to happen but as soon as that call stopped a big loud howl came from the tree line about 75 yards from my front porch. Sounded just like the Male Communicative sound I had just played.

Decided to see if I could locate some more so I took off walking and got about 400 yards from the house and played the same calls. Had 3 sound off in different directions around me, really close too. Waited a whole then played the same and heard even more. Shined the light and there stood one at about 100 yards.

Tried the Hunting Whines call and while it was playing I heard some, stopped the call and had a group about 100 yards away making an almost identical sound as the call. Waited a while then shined again and caught a glimpse of a pair of eyes along the edge of the field.

Thought that was pretty cool. Ready for season to open so I can really set up on them and smoke a few with the spotlight and 12 gauge. Any night hunters got any tips? How often do you shine your light?

Gonna get out in the morning and try a few stands if it's not to foggy. Went this morning and could only see about 10 yards in front of me up until about 9am, tried to start calling then but my call was dead. I'll let y'all know if I get one.

I bet your adrenaline was pumping...

If it is that is freakin awesome... Originally Posted By: KYHILLBILLYThats the same thing I seen.

If it is that is freakin awesome... Originally Posted By: KYHILLBILLYThats the same thing I seen.
Like many kentuckians I'm anxiously awaiting the opportunity to educate some dogs in the middle of the night. Well maybe late evening, I'm too old to sacrifice my beauty rest. I'm a skeptical on how the law reads at this point. The last officer I spoke with back in the summer had no idea how things were going to play out.
I would speak with the local F&W officer in regards to night hunting with out the aid of lights. Sounds like the subject is still open to interpretation. Even on full moon nights it cN be difficult to see with out some light.

Got out the other morning and made a few stands but didn't see any.

But yeah I have permission to hunt probably 500 acres or so all around my house. Every where Ive went around the properties to locate these past few nights I've heard a different group. There are tons of them and nobody else calls them. Should be able to put a few down. Gonna make a few stands in the morning. As soon as the undergrowth dies down I'm gonna try a few spots in the woods. I've got two or three spots picked out with nice open woods where I can see 150 yards or more all around.

How often do you guys call in the woods? Seems like they would be more confident in approaching in the woods rather than a field. Especially here in KY.

And yeah the part about night hunting by the moon light year round just doesn't seen right to me. I just wouldn't feel to comfortable knowing that I'm shooting at something not even knowing for sure that it's a coyote. Could be a small deer or my dog walking through there.

Like many kentuckians I'm anxiously awaiting the opportunity to educate some dogs in the middle of the night. Well maybe late evening, I'm too old to sacrifice my beauty rest. I'm a skeptical on how the law reads at this point. The last officer I spoke with back in the summer had no idea how things were going to play out.
I would speak with the local F&W officer in regards to night hunting with out the aid of lights. Sounds like the subject is still open to interpretation. Even on full moon nights it cN be difficult to see with out some light.

I can't find anything on their website or anywhere else for that matter stating what the regulations are.

I'm like you, I'm still a little leery....

Yeah I got that from kentuckyhunting.net forums. Those guys said they had called and made sure but I'm still gonna call myself. If you or anybody is a member there could you message the admin for me and ask why my account isn't getting verified. There's a lot of good threads that if like to get in on but can't. I've been waiting for months. I even tried using different emails and making new accounts but still don't get a conformation

Okay so I found this on the ky fw website

http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/301kar2251.pdf

But I'm still not sure if that is just what's proposed or the actual law yet. I'm gonna call them, I'll let you know what they say

Last edited:
So I called them today and spoke to Phillip.

He stated that right now it is moonlight only. Buck or Bird shot only and the shotgun must be plugged. Shotguns only at night.

Then he stated at the end of January through the end of May you can use artificial lights.

Back on-topic here:

What kind of howls are you doing at night. I have no knowledge in howls, YET.

Or better yet can someone point me in the direction of different sound bytes and it's meaning?

Last edited:
Back