243 Coyote Loads Fur Friendly?

Rusty Black

I've been shooting 55 gr Noslers all summer out my axis 243 staying with in safe ranges..46 grains of H414 C.O.L. is 2.650..Trim length 2.035..I notice last weekend shooting at 100 yards with a 15 mph wind my bullets were'nt hitting as good and i'm thinking the wind was bucking my bullets..I was thinking about going to alittle heavier bullet but want not to blow the fur up on my yotes..anybody have any ideas..my thought were Nosler 75 gr Ballist points or v-max?

Back when I could shoot lead bullets at coyotes I used some Nosler 80 gr BT bullets and a bunch of Hornady 75 gr V-Max bullets.

I had better luck with the 75 gr V-Max bullets. Most of the time the Nosler 80 gr BT bullets blew huge holes out of the coyotes. The 75 gr V-Max bullets only blew big holes out of the coyotes about 25% of the time.

I've had really good luck with the Hornady 75g BTHP. Hammers them and rarely exits. I also don't get the same splashes with it as I did the V-max.

Problem is it's on the hold list for Hornady, so good luck finding some of them.

Good question. I'am putting together a 243AI and would like to know also. In the past I did not care, if it cut em in half that was fine. Now I'am rethinking the way I look at coyote hides.

I use 70gr NBT. hardly have an exit unless its really close or shoot to far back. As long as i hit the shoulder or brisket(facing me) no exit and just jelly inside. have friends that really like the 65gr vmax also. they just didnt shoot too well out of my rifle.

Last edited:
I use 70g NBT and if I hit a bone on broadside shots it will blow fist size holes in and out. Chest on shots with no bone and no rib bone hit on exits you can't see an in or out until it's skinned. 243s are not and will not never be fur friendly but you'll never have to worry about watching a dog walk off with a marginal shot. I bought a 223 ltr and 17 rem to save on fur but went back to my 243 for the drt factor.

Last edited:
Personally I would stay with the 55 grain unless you plan on setting up stands where you can shoot yotes over 250 yards. then work up a 70 grain NBT load. people shoot 22-250s and .223s at yotes with smaller loads (case cap and bullet weight) at pretty good distances. you have a upper hand on those loads already with a .243

Back