Anyone into flintlocks

Rich44

I just picked this up today it used to belong to one of my very best friends and shooting buddies that passed away last year, Its a .50 cal Southern mountain rifle or poorboy, it was built by Charles Wallingford in Union KY I had one built about 15 years ago in .45cal with a swamped Colerain barrel, Siler lock and Davis double set trigger and the stock is ebonized American Walnut
My buddy had his built a year later almost identical except his was a .50.
Ohio has a early antlerless MZ season this year in Oct and I plan I carrying my buddies rifle for that hunt

top rifle .50 cal bottom .45 cal
flintlocks003_zps0bd4387f.jpg

flintlocks008_zps9bc865fd.jpg

flintlocks006_zpsb4e157d1.jpg

Very nice rifles! Charles Wallingford makes some dandy knives too. I love flintlocks and everything that goes along with them... Shooting them at Friendship, IN, or hunting with them is especially fun.

This one's mine.. Made by Tip Curtis from Tennessee, finished by me. .62 smoothbore. It's a dang fun turkey gun!

This one's my brother's.. Also by Tip Curtis. .54 rifle. It still needs some finish work done yet.

Ben

Very nice flinters Ben, I would love to visit his shop, have you been there. I used to have a .62 fowler very similar to yours made by Jack Garner in Tenn.
And yes Charlie makes some real fine knives the knife in the pic with the rifles is one of his,

I nearly purchased a .50 cal. Poor Boy, last week. It had a very nice piece of wood on the stock and a 41" barrel. I fondled it for a while and then put it back on the rack...maybe another day.

I just don't think it would get used enough to justify the purchase. I already have plenty of deer killing weapons and I'm afraid this one would become a "safe queen".

Bowhunter57

Originally Posted By: Rich44Very very nice collection, third one down is that a fowler

Thanks!
Yes, it's a 20 gauge with a choked Colerain barrel.
The gun on the bottom was the last cap lock I had. It's been replaced with another flinter.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Rich44Very very nice collection, third one down is that a fowler

Thanks!
Yes, it's a 20 gauge with a choked Colerain barrel.
The gun on the bottom was the last cap lock I had. It's been replaced with another flinter.

Nice, I sold off my last fowler it was built by Jack Garner after TVM I really miss that one.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeCool stuff !
Sorry to hear about your bud, Rick.

Thanks Tim
Yep He was a very good guy not a hunter but a heck of a shooter we shot from IBO archery to action pistol together and almost any shooting discipline there is for about 20 years I will definitely miss him on the firing line.

Very nice rifles here ....
I have several old ML's but only one flintlock and it's a C.D. Fincher from Purcell Oklahoma.
I almost never shoot them anymore.

Originally Posted By: Rich44Very nice flinters Ben, I would love to visit his shop, have you been there.

I've been to his shop that he sets up at Friendship for the shoot many times, but haven't been to his "real" shop in Tennessee. Would love to sometime though!

I just watched the first volume of the Verminator series last night and Rick Pailllet uses a flintlock to take a coyote. It was one of, if not the coolest hunts on the DVD.

On a side note, I can't believe how many critters Rick put down in the DVD while sitting out pretty much in the open.

Back