Savage 99 243 ???

Dogman223

Just came across a savage 99 243 and seems to be very handy little rifle however about 6 different loads now and about the same accuracy 2-21/2 in just wondering if that's just what they produce or am I drinking to much Mt Dew also has anybody rebarreld one is it worth it or just take it for what it is

I would say that's par for that rifle. You might try to stay with 100-110gr bullets. The triggers are not the best. You have a good 100yd whitetail killer. You shooting a scope or iron sights?

I don't believe there is much more there....they were never bug shooters. They were an excellent hunting rifle and a very neat piece....I like the brass round counters myself.

My .300 savage can hold 2inch @100 yards with factory loads and iron sights. Handloads I can keep it around a inch with scope mounted. Most of the 99's that I've handled needed new hammer springs from being left cocked for years on end. The triggers are easy to lighten up all you need is a good set of stones. The hammer and sear have a lot of metal that can be removed if you replace the hammer spring with the wolf extra power spring your trigger pull will increase and stoning is a must if you like light trigger pulls. The hammer spring is retained by a screw that is staked to the bolt if your not comfortable staking find a smith that works on ar-15 if he's worth his salt then it shouldn't be a problem. Check the forearm for fit just like a bolt gun. Check the muzzle for damage recrown if it needs it. Slight reduction in loads may improve accuracy as these actions are springy. I used a reduced load in my .300 with the Speer 125gr TNT @2550 fps that would three shots under a inch.
DF2CABAA-7BB3-40E6-B0E9-A86493F4B566-2943-0000058BA6B420F4_zps455c729c.jpg

Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1I don't believe there is much more there....they were never bug shooters.

And this as well.

Most are easily capable of better IME........

Just to add, I have a freind that had a 99 in .308. He shot the barrel out of that thing rebarreled it in 6mm BR. It is a bug shooter. Lever actions get a bad rap but most will hang with bolt guns if given attention.

Thanks for the feed back. I'm not ready to give up on it rather enjoy the little rifle just gonna have keep feeding it till it finds something it likes

My son had a 99 in .308 that I loaded 165gr. Sierra BTSP's for, and it produced groups right at the 1-inch mark at 100 yds.
Years ago, if you had ANY rifle that would do that, you were considered to be a very lucky man, and a rifle that was reported to shoot sub-MOA groups had to be seen to be believed.

I have three 99's in the family, all in 300 Savage, all scoped, all shoot around an inch. One that was my grandfathers. He called it the "meataxe" and was bought right before WWII started. He shot Remington 150 grain bronze point factory ammo.

Fill it full of Wipeout, and let it sit for several hours.

This is out of a older 99 Take Down model with a Weaver K-3 in Pachmayr Swing-Away mounts. Not the best set up to wring out the last bit of accuracy but it worked well. With a 1-14 twist 90gr GK would double this size and anything above that gust keeps getting bigger.

It is the middle rifle, the top rifle is an 1899 B in 25-235 and would shoot very close to 1" with 117gr RN's and a mild dose of 3031 and that was with the tang-sight with small appeture.

All of these old Savages had to be cleaned from the muzzle and not many folks worried about muzzle protectors/rod guides so worn rifling at the muzzle can be a problem.

Last edited:
Just had to add my $0.02. I have had a Savage 99 in .243 (model A with a Bushnell 4x scope) for about 20 years now. Every year all of my friends and neighbors sight their deer rifles in a few weeks before the season starts; dozens of shots. I fire one or two shots, and I am always within 1 inch of the center of the target. at 150 yards, that is good enough for me!! I also have a 99 in .308 with a Leupold 3-9. Love them both. Reliable, accurate, and solid.

Originally Posted By: Dixiedog1I don't believe there is much more there....they were never bug shooters.

I would also have to disagree on the accuracy of Savage 99. My 1950 99EG in .300 Savage shoots under an inch at 100 yards. I'm always amazed at how accurate these really are.

Last edited:
Back