Stretchers

getemclose

Lookin into some new stretchers I have always just used wire for my coyotes but im looking into trying wood this season. Heard real good things about the grawes stretchers, they sure are spendy. don't really wanna build my own either. Would be willing to buy the grawes but just curious of anyone has ran into something cheaper that kicks butt. thanks.

Otis Latham stretchers

Most stretchers are made to order. While the turnaround time is usually only a few days, during the busy season it can be upwards of 10 days. We try our best to get our product out to you as soon as possible.

Pricing on Large and Small bobcat boards are $20 each, plus shipping. Call for prices on Extra Large stretchers. Shipping is done through the US Postal Service, they aren’t the fastest, but they are the cheapest.

We will be at most Western conventions this year, or Otis will have someone there with his product.

If interested contact Otis at:

Otis Latham

PO Box 61

Mesa, CO 81643

970-268-5554 or 970-812-7473

strait off mercers web page

I have always made my own for under $3

I buy a 2x4 and trace out the curve of the head. Cut the end to the right length. Then slice it in half lengthwise on a bandsaw. (so not instead of being one piece 1.5" thick it's not 3/4" thick and two pieces) use and old belt and staple it to the nose for the hinge, use the extra piece as the stretcher, and then some dowel to hold it in place.

What ever you get, rub a little left over candle wax on the wood, so that the pelt comes off easier.

Last edited:
I make my own from the specs off of you-tube 5911ryan.....not the auction houses specs BUT I get more than my neighbors at the auction houses. If I were to purchase them....I'd go w/ Otis's for sure......LOTS of top lots come off those stretchers. his are not the cheapest but will pay for themselves after your first sale.....good luck

Originally Posted By: COCatReally? 5 bucks? I don't think you could buy the wood for 5 bucks, just saying.

I you get the wood for free you can, we have building material places that throw away long pieces of 1x and 2x, some might have knot in it buy a little work and its plenty for a stretcher. JUST SAYIN

If you have a band saw, or a friend with one, a 2X4 is a cheap solution that can be cut and used for under $3

You could always buy one Otis and use it to make a template, and make a bunch of them.

There is no doubt pine or fir will work for stretchers. Just not a wood that is known for being tight grained and being able to be somewhat warp proof and knot free. Poplar would be a little better choice for being clear, and somewhat inexpensive. Basswood being the premier for tight grain and being able to push pins or staples easy. Not trying to discourage anyone, just saying quality wood and materials are a premium. Theres is a little truth to "you get what you pay for". Latham boards are used by many of the top producers in the west, and have also helped many receive top lots in most of all the wests auctions and both FHA and NAFA over the course of the last 5 years.

Back