Ny ar-15 hunting deer

twhitey

Hello
Is it legal to hunt deer in Upstate Ny with a Ar-15 where center fired riffles are allowed with a 5 round mag.

Thanx guys

Originally Posted By: the noobiehttp://lmgtfy.com/?q=New+York+hunting+regulations

No but all it says in their regs is that:

Rifle* Any centerfire Rifle.

* It is illegal to hunt with:

a fully automatic firearm;
an autoloading firearm that holds more than 6 shells (except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length under 8 inches);
any firearm equipped with a silencer.

By what you have there, it is legal so why do you say NO?

Sorry didn't mean it as "no you can't". Just joking around with the google thing and meant "no seriously this is what the regs say". My typing got lazy on the phone.

Originally Posted By: the noobiehttp://lmgtfy.com ?q=New+York+hunting+regulations
an autoloading firearm that holds more than 6 shells (except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length under 8 inches);

I would guarantee you'd be arrested because the AR can hold more than 5 rounds. The prosecutor will simply show the idiots in the "jury" how easy it is to change the 5-round magazine for a 30-round mag.

Be smart, use a bolt rifle.

Originally Posted By: NitromanOriginally Posted By: the noobiehttp://lmgtfy.com ?q=New+York+hunting+regulations

I would guarantee you'd be arrested because the AR can hold more than 5 rounds. The prosecutor will simply show the idiots in the "jury" how easy it is to change the 5-round magazine for a 30-round mag.

Not to sound like a jerk, but that's about the dumbest reason I've ever heard. If you are using a 5 round mag, they can't touch you.
"I would guarantee you'd be arrested"
Seriously? With that train of thought, our prisons would be filled to capacity with duck and goose hunters because the gun can hold more than three round if you take out the plug.
As long as you only have 5 round capacity mags on you, you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Thanx guys don't want to get everyone going here.I spoke to the Dec and explained there will be a 5 round mag.They don't have any problems as long as there is no silencer on the barrel I kinda of laughed at that.Then he said well a 223 is a little light on deer and I explained that it was a 308 and he said go for it.

Thanx guys

Originally Posted By: swanny8And make sure you don't have a collapsible stock or a muzzle device that is not pinned or welded.

I don't see anything that talks about collapsible stock is that the state law or dec law.
Thanx

Originally Posted By: jasonprox700Originally Posted By: NitromanOriginally Posted By: the noobiehttp://lmgtfy.com ?q=New+York+hunting+regulations

Not to sound like a jerk, but that's about the dumbest reason I've ever heard. If you are using a 5 round mag, they can't touch you.
"I would guarantee you'd be arrested"
Seriously? With that train of thought, our prisons would be filled to capacity with duck and goose hunters because the gun can hold more than three round if you take out the plug.
As long as you only have 5 round capacity mags on you, you'll be fine.

This is New York we're talking about. Common sense doesn't enter the equation.

Back