Help with Ruger American

Clayne_B

So my Nephew just got a Ruger American in .243

he got a few boxes of HSM 95gr bergers

Started out with his scope, a cheap 2.5x10-44 tasco. it would not stay on a sheet paper at 100 yards

I took a known good scope off of one of my rifles and put it on there. and moved into 50 yards. Its putting 2 shots at about a 1.5 inch group and the 3rd 4th ect are all over!

and that's with me shooting it. I jump on my .223 and shoot half inch groups at 100 yards. Something is seriously up with this gun. any input would help

whats your ruger american .243 like?

Bummer-he got a bad one. Most all of the reports about the American in any caliber have been very positive concerning accuracy. I would try some different ammo and then call Ruger cs if it is the same. You know your way around rifles so something is wrong.

As posted, try some different ammo with a known, good quality scope. If that doesn't sort it out I'd be on the phone with Ruger.

Stab in the dark here, did you check for a pressure point in the barrel channel? Did you check your rings and bases? And lastly, did you check your action screws for proper torque specs? Hope it's something simple like that and easily fixed.

Chupa

Base, rings, and barrel channel is good, Its free floated but a very flimsy forend

I did not check the action screws, he said he took it out of the stock between our first outing with his scope, and our second outing with my scope, but it shot horrible both times.

I will have to look up the specs for it and make sure its properly torqued.

Thanks for the Input

I'd try something different than a Berger vld.IMO buying vld's in factory ammo is sketchy at best,,,they are/can be very sensitive to seating depth.

I bought a ruger American in 243 and it shoots great I was shooting Winchester varmit x rounds and have a Redfield revenge in 4x12 on it. I would try different ammo and if that doesn't help than give ruger a call

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 try some different ammo

+1000 Not sure of the twist in the Reger but it may be borderline. Plus the seating depth is finiky with that bullet.

Make sure you clean barrel my dad got a 22 lr that would not shoot right out of the box. He had to clean every two or three shots for several rounds if I remember correct it was over two hundred rounds. it finally came around. Every patch was black that he ran thru. He had contacted the companies cs and they said that sometimes blueing gets on the rifling and that has to be (shot) off. hope that's not case it would be too expensive to do that. good luck

I've tried the 95gr. Bergers in my Tikka 595 .243 and tang safety Ruger 6mm. Never could get them to group worth a hoot. And both these rifles are tackdrivers with the right load.

Ammo or bedding issue. Could also be action screws. Could also be the way the rifle is being rested. Rest just ahead of recoil lug, not under forearm tip. And definitely not with sling stud contacting rest/bag during recoil.

Rugers barrels are notorious for being VERY dirty out of the box. I'd make sure the rifling is clean.

Mind all this, then try some different ammo..........

Back