Experiences with Gun Trusts?

MoonStalker

Been looking into setting up a gun trust to purchase a suppressor for hunting. Just wanting to know some of your personal experiences or maybe a certain way to go about it? Is it pretty painless? About how long did it take to get set up?

Sorry I know this doesnt have anything to do with "Night Calling" but I figured some of you night time hunters might be using suppressors.

So you have 3 separate trusts for 3 separate cans? I was under the impression you could add items to the existing trust? Is a "quicken trust" the same as a NFA trust?

I would highly suggest hiring an attorney in the state which you live in for the proper trust documentation services.

Each state has different rules and regulations and statutes regarding Trusts and your NFA Trust needs to be designed specifically to comply with those regulations specific to your state.

Whether or not your Trust passes though the ATF and you get your suppressor or other NFA items does not matter, what matters are the legalities for your beneficiaries on down the line...

It's not a big deal, just the wait. Mine has been sent in for about 8 months now and haven't heard anything. With all the mass public shootings i'm sure the Govt. will take their time.

skypup is correct each state is different in trust requirements, some require it be registered with the clerks office. in Texas you just have it notarized. you can add items to a trust and that's easy if you only have one beneficiary and trustee, if you have more than one, beneficiary and more items then you would want an attorney, or if you have more trustee on the trust like your whole family so all can have possession of the item wife kids brother ect

I just kept it simple one item one trust one trustee, one , one beneficiary, one executor.

I left one can to my niece as the beneficiary, and her mother my sister is the executor until her legal age

Your local SOT should be able to recommend a good NFA trust lawyer. Ours has one he recommends for trusts and a gunsmith that he recommends for barrel threading. Both are local and separate entities.

So what about using them in other states that allow them or if I move to another state? Will the trust have to be revised to the new state of residence?

Originally Posted By: MoonStalkerSo what about using them in other states that allow them or if I move to another state? Will the trust have to be revised to the new state of residence?

Definitely need to speak to an attorney, the internet is NOT the answer to the myraid of Federal & State legal problems.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: MoonStalkerSo what about using them in other states that allow them or if I move to another state? Will the trust have to be revised to the new state of residence?

Definitely need to speak to an attorney, the internet is NOT the answer to the myraid of Federal & State legal problems.

+1

Yes I definitely intend to go through an attorney I just wanted to get some basic information on if it was a pain in the a** to get and if this was even the best way to go about legally owning a can. Think im gonna get the process started pretty soon. Thanx to all for the information!

I had a copy of the full NFA trust from a pal who got it from the gun trust atty in FL that has a website & who wants $600 for info on an atty near you if there is one that is.
It still was not correct for WY and I had my trust atty go over it & he fixed all the wrong issues & wording w/it for WY state.
Had it notarized & sent in 4 months back...still in a pile at the BATF.
Each state will not be the same & wording can change for different areas.

Back