Bright white led mounted shooting light

kel

I have the reds and the greens. Looking for a no [beeep] bright white led light that is still mountable as far as size goes. I've looked at the o light MX3. Anything else that's maybe a bit smaller but gives you out to 300 yards actual id range?

+1

The uf-t20 has decent performance in stock form and is well built and serviceable. It comes with an CREE XML-T6 which is starting to show its age. when modified with the latest LED technology it really performs well!

I took one apart and put a IR LED in with a new driver. Took about 15 min total. I'm going to test it this weekend. Should compare to the torch pro for about 20% the cost.

Originally Posted By: family guyI took one apart and put a IR LED in with a new driver. Took about 15 min total. I'm going to test it this weekend. Should compare to the torch pro for about 20% the cost.

I have done quite a few color LED and IR conversions on these and other lights

what emitter? what driver? please share.

Kevin

I didn't want to post a parts list until I had a chance to test it.
Got out to a private 200 yard shooting range before the moon came up Sunday and tested this new IR against my well used Torch Pro and a SPIR. I shot targets and focused on tree leaves at 200 yards.

The SPIR was as expected a clear winner.

The Torch Pro does fine on the target but individual tree leaves were not as clear.

The Home made IR put out more light than the torch Pro but I wasn't able to focus it down as tight as the Torch Pro. Not sure why because the original white led focused tight. I'm going to try a second build this week more attention to centering the LED perfectly.

Body
http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php...k-18650-p-10770

Driver
http://dx.com/p/17mm-1050ma-single-mode-...c-3-4-5v-127687

IR LED
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ir-leds/7732886/

Special thanks to Gary Laubscher for sharing this IR Illuminator

Last edited:
The olight mx3 is super bright. The through allows you to easily id out to 300 yarns and beyond. The downfall is that there is the main beam and a less bright wider beam. This makes light reflect off of any close objects. However, this can be easily fixed by making a halo shield. I made one out of cardboard and camo duct tape. The MX3 is also one of the best lights for finding blood that I have ever used(on its dimmer setting). Good luck and I hope this info helped. Any other questions feel free to private message me. I also own the xlr100 and xlr 250 and am happy to answer any questions about them

Have tried it out around the neighborhood but not in an actual hunting situation as in wide open spaces. Close up comparisons with my Little c8 skyray, I think is what it's called, and the t20 is quite a bit brighter. The new t20's are a different light. There is 1 seller still selling them on eBay but other than that the pickings get slim. I actually feel its my brightest light now and for under $30 with charger I'd be interested to see if anything else comes close for the price.

Originally Posted By: kelHave tried it out around the neighborhood but not in an actual hunting situation as in wide open spaces. Close up comparisons with my Little c8 skyray, I think is what it's called, and the t20 is quite a bit brighter. The new t20's are a different light. There is 1 seller still selling them on eBay but other than that the pickings get slim. I actually feel its my brightest light now and for under $30 with charger I'd be interested to see if anything else comes close for the price.

The "newT20" is a different light. How so? I know of a ultrafire UF-t20 and a Uniquefire Uf-t20. The uniquefire is the one to get for sure.

The stock T20 puts out 45,000 candela(45Kcd). The ANSI FL-1 beam distance would be 424 meters. The real life beam distance is probably more like 300 meters. This is just a little bit more than a 2D or 3D LED MAGLIGHT(40Kcd). Not bad by over the counter flashlight standards but no where near it's full potential. The T20 is a great budget light!

The drivers(circuit boards) in the T20 have a high failure rate and there are some problems with tailcap ground issues. Once those problems are resolved it's as good as any light on the market regardless of manufacturer.

I have built white LED T20's that exceed 90Kcd(90,000candela) and I know a few guys that have pushed the limits to the bleeding edge and got over 150Kcd, however those particular lights are "dragsters" and only have a limited run time.

good luck with your T20 and have fun.

Kevin

Maybe that's it. The Uniquefire is the one I got. The ultrafire confused me and I thought they had changed the design but remembered what it was supposed to look like so I ordered the correct one. We'll see how it fares out in the field later this week. Have a place to hunt that should allow it to shine 3-400 yards although I'll be happy with a good 250. I'm expecting a better result all the way around since I re scoped my guns to the zeiss conquest from the Nikon Prostaffs since last time out too. I'll still use red and green lights until I need a bit more range.

Back