First black bear

204Gunner

Copied text from facebook:Shot my first black bear this evening and was also my longest shot on a big game animal at 368 yards verified by lazer range finder. A huge thank you to MSgt Schlade for spotting it, traversing the mountain side and finding it as well as helping me pack out the quarters. From the time I pulled the trigger, we had the hide and meat at the truck in just 2 hours and headed for home! Will post pictures in the morning. Maybe I'll get some sleep first but so far that's not working out too well...For all you Nosler fans, the bear fell to a single 160 Partition from my old faithful m70. The bullet entered behind the left shoulder and unfortunately exited the right ham absolutely destroying it with full penetration. I was sitting on a red rock point above a large horse pasture and mountain side to the front. I had just set up with the rifle bipod resting on the rock I was sitting on only 5 minutes before my buddy spotted the bear which was steadily moving diagnally down the mountain mainly rock gravel patches with pinyon trees. As I laid prone it took me a little bit to get positioned to get my right elbow down solid against the rock to steady the crosshairs but got on it just as it was going behind a pinyon tree that may have been my last chance before it would have dissapeared below the tops of the large pines below my line of sight. It for sure was a team effort and tonight's game ended with a win for a couple Air Force guys.

Back